DarklyCharming's Surgery Website

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd put up a website to walk everyone through my procedure and give guys an idea what it looks before, during, and after. My procedure is July 18th and I'll post pictures of what my head looks like immediately after, and then updated on a monthly basis as it grows back in. I really hope to give guys a better idea than I ever had of how it all works.

Site reinstated.

http://darklycharming.moonfruit.com

Mahair

Established Member
Reaction score
Darkly,I think you are too young too little hairloss to do this,also if you are a perfectionist a h/t will freak you out. Please reconsider. Who are you thinking of going to also wonder who would do what your asking?Remember that this is SURGERY not a trip to a beauty salon and it is not reversable.

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice and yes, that's been considered. I'm thrilled with my decision and stoked to be moving forward.

And as a note of manners, it's condescending to infer that I view this as a trip to the beauty salon. Hair loss is one of the worst things I have experienced and am moving in a direction to regain my life. I thoroughly research every option I take in my life and I view this as a smart move. If you don't, best regards to you and your ability to choose not to have a transplant.

Mahair

Established Member
Reaction score
Darkly no disrespect intended. Unfortunately my freind has had his sixth surgery in 5 years after doing tons of reasearch he decided to "beef up" his hairline,used propecia before to stabilize and use a top Doctor. Does it look ok ,yes. Is he happy ,no he says I wish I had done "more" reasearch and has said on many ocasions I wish I never messed. Unfortunately real research begins when you become a case study after the fact.The only people who really have an objective opinion are actually hairtransplant doctors or technitians and they keep it to themselves.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
DC are you having strip or FUE?

IMO you would be mad to have strip for the small amount of recession you have.

However I hope all goes well for you.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dude you're a bright eyes fan too!! are you digging his new album, i haven't got around to checking it out yet (studying all the time) rock on. hope all goes well for you.

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
Yea I'm a Bright Eyes fan from way back. He released the two albums, one was very digital electronics and wasn't good. The other one is excellent. Skip the electronica and check out the other.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
will do, i always liked the rawness of his stuff, that's what made it good. glad to see he's still doing that. didn't mean to hijack your thread into a music discussion. sorry.

Mark1

Reaction score
hair transplant

DC,

Judging from your website etc.... you have your act together. I wanted to ask you the following:

What do you estimate your hair transplant will cost?

Are you doing FUSS or FUE?

What Dr. is specifically doing it and how did you chose him/her?

What is the potential down side/exposure?

What can you expect regarding time to heal, post operative care, ability to get back on a plane, post operative care, seing results etc...

What was the process regarding consult etc....?

Are you convinced they are the best?

Looking at your pictures I can definetly relate. I am 36 with a full head of hair but a receding hairline. I have watched it recede and followed regemins to stop the recession. I am at the point where I feel I could get a minor hair transplant without anyone truly knowing. Then once grown in get haircuts, swim, etc... without worrying about a thing. That would truly be incredible. I worry about making a bad situation worse and would want to avoid that at all costs!!!! Please provide photos etc.....!!!!!!!!!!! It appears your situation mirrors mine.

I truly wish you the best of luck and anxiously await your response

Mark1

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Mark1,

Here are the answers to your question as best I can answer them:

1. What do you estimate your hair transplant will cost?

My transplant is for 3000 grafts and is priced at around 11,000 dollars. A point I would make to someone getting prices that no one told me is that you can barter. This is not like walking into Pottery Barn and buying a plate. The prices are negotiable within a certain extent. Talk with the consultant and if you are a good businessman, get the price down. They'll work with you.

2. Are you doing FUSS or FUE?

I am doing FUSS. It's my first transplant and I wanted to achieve a lot of thickness and design with it. FUSS was the most cost effective way to do that.

3. What Dr. is specifically doing it and how did you chose him/her?

Dr. Alvi Armani is the office I chose to go with and I made sure he is the doctor actually performing my surgery as well. As with anything, you always want to go with the best. If you want an excellent suit, you get a Zegna. If you want a beautiful head of hair, you get Armani. That's why I chose him. He's artistically the best I found and aims not for just coverage but for actually make you the best looking you can be.

4. What is the potential down side/exposure?

Well, the downside is trying to conceal the transplant while it heals. I don't want people to know I'm having this done so I'm going to great lengths to conceal it among friends. You are able to wear baseball caps and hats afterwards, so long as they are cotton and I plan on that. Additionally, I'm lucky enough to have a summer vacation for three months. Hence, I have time off from work to completely heal so that helps conceal.

The other downside would be bad work or continued hairloss. Armani is the best there is in my opinion so I doubt he'll do bad work. As far as continued hair loss, I don't sweat it. As it recedes and I lose more, I'll have more work done. Even if it takes ten years to get Hair Multiplication to the market, I'll only be 33 at the time. Just have that done and no more worries. If not, I'll have thinning in the back and a thick front from my transplant, which I think is preferable.

5. What can you expect regarding time to heal, post operative care, ability to get back on a plane, post operative care, seeing results etc...

You have surgical staples in the back of your head after FUSS for two weeks, to ensure the smallest scar possible. Healing, apparently the scabs from the surgery at your recipient site fall off after a week at the latest. Post operative care is extensive and if you want to know more about that I recommend you email me. Simply put, its careful shampooing and application of a few products and drugs.

As far as boarding a plane, you are allowed to board a plane the day after the surgery. If you do not board then, you have to wait four more days for swelling to subside before you can board. Results start to show up around 3-4 months, obviously around 5-6 months, and continue to fill in for 1-2 years.

Are you convinced they are the best?

Absolutely. I didn't just want someone who performs a great transplant, I wanted someone who was approaching the surgery with an eye for making you better, more attractive, and nailing perfection. I firmly believe Armani is that doctor.

Hope all that helps Mark1. Hit me up anytime and best of luck.

BMORE39

Reaction score
Your hair looks fine. You now have a mature man's hairline. You have nothing to fix? Why would you want a permanent scar in the back of your head? You are only in your early 20's. Wait a while and eventually you won't be so obsessed about it.

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
As genteelly as I can, I'm going to once again affirm that my decision is final and the surgery is going ahead. I'm nonplussed by the repeated warnings but I do appreciate the concern.

My expectation of response comes down to my answer that I give when someone asks me what my stance is on abortion. I always assert that I have little to no concept of the struggles that anyone else has. I only know my own. If someone else makes the decision to do something that affects their life drastically, I can only give them the respect in trusting they've thought long and hard about it.

That stands for this. I'm a research based individual and I've done my research. I'm documenting it all to help others so they can see the process and results, helping them with their own research and inevitably, their own decision.

G

Darkly im a 29 male whom have had 2 Hair trasnplants.I say go for it, if you have done all your research! and are convinced within yourself you are making the right deceison.

Damo

ch-R-ch

Reaction score
Darkly - do you have to go to Vancouver to get the procedure done? I would prefer to have it done in the UK if possible, does Armani only work out of Canada?

Also - having looked at your picture - you seem to be at about my stage - my Q is though - why would you need as many as 3000?? I was looking to do about 1000 or so .... am I missing something?

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey ch-R-ch,

You don't have to go to Canada for the procedure as Armani has offices all over the world. He has an office in London.

I'm doing 3000 because I requested a perfect hairline, low, and thick as possible. I like to be able to do thick chunky hairstyles with ridiculous amounts of product. Hence, I'm going thick in the front.

ch-R-ch

Reaction score
DarklyCharming said:
Hey ch-R-ch,

You don't have to go to Canada for the procedure as Armani has offices all over the world. He has an office in London.

I'm doing 3000 because I requested a perfect hairline, low, and thick as possible. I like to be able to do thick chunky hairstyles with ridiculous amounts of product. Hence, I'm going thick in the front.

Wow! Great! I will certainly consider him ... he seems to get great results.

What I would love to know though is whether you insisted on that many with such a small amount of hair loss or whether he was fairly ok with it. I have heard so many times, that I should wait, and not rush into it, being so young and only having similar hair loss to yourself. However - I have also had the exact same logic as yourself, though have thought I might perhaps be folling myself. I REALLY want to have a hair transplant asap (I will begin work at law firm in 1 year - so would be unable to hide the hair transplant surgery then) and have the money no problem.

Coudl you tell me a little bit more about your decision process with the dr - and what his comments were if any on your age and level of hair loss?

Thanks so much Darkly - this is a real help.

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey ch-R-ch,

My decision process was through an initial online consultation. I sent pictures to Dr. Armani and he first responded with a video file email, showing him holding up my pictures specifically, talking about my options and where to fill in. He pointed out that I could lower my hairline and either close my temples or not. My choice as to what appearance I wanted. He suggested anywhere from 2000 grafts to lower the hairline only, or up to 3000 for maximum density and closing my temples. I've never been one to go with the minimum.

As far as age, Armani has a philosophy I've heard multiple times from other people who have dealt with him. His philosophy on the transplant is to put an extremely thick amount on the hairline as it shapes your face. People will always see that first. If you continue to lose hair and thin in the back, then you can continue to get transplants in that fashion, thicker in the front, and fading to the back. This way, you'll always look good from the front, and in a worst case scenario where you lose all your hair in NW7 fashion, you'll only look as if you lost hair in your back area.

Makes sense to me.

jmoney32

Reaction score
damn, this is perfect for me. i am 23 years old and had a consultation with armani but i am scared to do it. please be as detailed as possible about everything so i can make a judgement if i should go through with it. i agree completely and think the worst look possible is not having a hair transplant and just going bald. i think i will just wait until armani come to los angeles to get my hair transplant done

thanks, for helping people out. non-biased websites are the best source for information

oliver

Reaction score
This is madness - 3000 grafts on you!!! Armani is unethical in my opinion.

.Armani and his marketing... gets em everytime!

whiskey

Established Member
Reaction score
Most sugeons who have "offices" all over the world don't actually do surgery in all those places you know. Mostly they have one main surgery where they do the work & they have previous customers of theirs in other places who will meet you and show you their work, that's pretty much it. Some surgeons will have a hand in training other Drs in another country but you'll very rarely get the main Dr, it's almost like a franchise of their name.
Sometimes it's quite misleeding.