Creatine apparently raises DHT = more hair loss?

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19741313

While this is the only study indicating creatine can raise DHT levels, it appears poorly designed and most of us who use creatine (myself included) do not utilise a loading dose. I use anywhere from 2-6.5g of creatine 3-5 times a week (never for all 7 days of the week).

Is there any reason to be concerned about this increase in DHT? Can anyone refute this with more evidence? I'd really love to know as I'm unsure if creatine is has made my hair loss worse in the past years as my hair loss started pretty much when I started using creatine regularly (I understand this is also because at 19 Androgenetic Alopecia can begin to appear regardless)

Thoughts?

kir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I recently bought protein powder which contains 2.5g of creatine per serving. It was only yesterday while doing some research, I found the creatine/DHT study. I've been using this protein blend ED for approximately one month and notice no difference in hair shedding; I still see 5-7 hairs in the shower. It was a small study with missing important variables. With that said, we shouldn't worry to much unit more data is available.
I also take Avodart daily. so if it were to increase DHT levels, it mightn't have an effect on me. Just to be safe, I'm keeping my creatine consumption under 3g daily and the next time, I would probably buy a protein blend with no creatine.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
We know exercise in general will also naturally raise testosterone hence DHT increase. finasteride.
can reduce DHT by maybe 70%. As long as you're taking finasteride. as directed then as far as I see this reduction remains in effect in spite of general lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, etc.,).

Here4Hair

Reaction score
You can try to block DHT all you want, but blocking DHT will never ever grow your hair back and can even lead to severe depression as well as the other noted side effects of erectile dysfunction and gynecomastia.

We have the most amount of testosterone in our bodies when we are teenagers, and one would therefore presume the most amount of DHT in our bodies when we are teenagers, but the vast majority of male teenagers do not suffer from any form of hair loss.

You can antagonise yourself all day long about what raises or lowers DHT, but you are barking up the wrong tree! If blocking DHT was the answer to male pattern hair loss then people taking propecia/finasteride would never ever subsequently continue to lose hair on this drug.

Yoshi3Mario

Established Member
Reaction score
Creatine may result in slightly accelerated hair loss. But also keep in mind there are different types of dht. Saw palmetto won't do anything for you. So one may come to the conclusion that creatine does nothing either. Without an official study it's all just bro science.

Blocking the 5ar receptors from dht will strengthen and even reverse decayed hair follicles allowing them to thrive resulting in several new hairs growing from each one. That is why propecia and minoxidil works so well on diffusers.

Here4Hair

Reaction score
Blocking the 5ar receptors from dht will strengthen and even reverse decayed hair follicles allowing them to thrive resulting in several new hairs growing from each one. That is why propecia and minoxidil works so well on diffusers.

No one on this Earth knows the mechanism by which Minoxidil works to regrow hair, so you can not say this, it is pure supposition!

Propecia does not regrow hair, it is used to prevent further hair loss....

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt replies everyone, I really appreciate it! So do you guys think fluctuations in serum DHT have little relevance to the end result of DHT miniaturising hair follicles?

My maximum intake of creatine in grams is usually for about 5-6 months out of the year at this level each week, leaving the 2 weekend days as 'cycle off' days:

M: 6.5 T: 3.86 W: 6.5 T: 3.86 F: 6.5

The remaining 6-7 months of the year it follows this pattern:

M: 3.86 W: 3.86 F: 3.86

Would such a low level of usage be of any concern? I really like the mass gainer/protein powder and pre-workout product that I currently use and really would rather not stop using them unless it's absolutely necessary.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Creatine is bad for hair. End of story.

You have to weigh up how important you hair is vs. the gains.

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
Creatine is bad for hair. End of story.

You have to weigh up how important you hair is vs. the gains.

It would seem that this one study does indeed imply that but do you know of any other studies further proving this?

Creatine is present in food, albeit at lower amounts, but I certainly do find myself eating 500g of sirloin steak or various types of fish at least twice a month. That would definitely deliver anywhere from 1-3g of creatine. Surely there must be a cutoff level as to how much creatine is safe for hair? If so does anyone know (anecdotally at least) what that may be?

Another thing to mention is let's just say this study's methodology is sound and creatine actually does indeed increase DHT significantly, creatine still isn't classified as an androgenic compound and it obviously wouldn't be androgenic to the same extent as anabolic steroids. If steroids are far more androgenic than creatine, and bodybuilders have been able to prevent hair loss from steroids, wouldn't being on a decent treatment regimen (topical spironolactone is quite popular in the bodybuilding community for this very purpose) negate any deleterious effect of creatine on hair?