Could someone bottomline proper minoxidil application for Me?

Akshawnd

Reaction score
All,

I have been scouring the forums so as to avoid asking too many repetitive nOOb questions. However, there are still a couple of application issues I am unsure of. It appears that proper application is more complicated than the directions on the bottle indicate.

1: Does hair need to be completely dry before applying?

2: How long should one rub it in?

3: What about putting on mousse or gel after Rogaine application?

I have reasonably full, longish hair BTW.

Thanks!

Pob

Reaction score
1) Hair can can be a little damp, just not so wet that it dilutes the minoxidil. As you have long hair, I guess it takes longer to dry, but if the ends are still wet that's no problem as you are applying it directly to the scalp. Just make sure not to use a hairdryer after application...it causes evaporation.

2) You should just cover the affected area with a very thin layer, so a very quick rub with a finger as you apply each bit will be fine. Just enough to stop it rolling off the scalp. Remember, when it's absorbed it dissapates to a wider area, so you don't need to completely cover every single bit of your scalp.

3) Applying gel etc is no problem. I usually wait 5 or 10 minutes, but this is not strictly necessary.

Best of luck luck and hope this helps.

rkim

Established Member
Reaction score
I never rub the minoxidil into my scalp. Is this completely necessary? Possibly better than not? How can you possibly rub it in and not get it all over your hair?

thiningattop

Established Member
Reaction score
who cares, aslong as its on your head.

When i had a shaved head, i used to rub it in. It ensured an even distribution. Now that i grew my hair out, i dont rub it in so much cause it just ends up getting soaked up in my hair a little more. To each his own!!

khan

Reaction score
So to be clear on this, it's ok to put a few drops in using the applicator and then rub it in with your fingers? Just try to minimise the amount going in hair rather than on the scalp.

Applying stuff to my bald spot seems very tricky unless I get 2 mirrors or something...

I have some protein moisturiser that I use sometimes, ideally I should wait 4 hours before using this??