Considering hair transplant later this year, would like some input please

LFC

Reaction score
Hi there, ive tried Fincar/Propecia over the last 18 months and didn't really succeed with much regrowth so i stopped as i wa getting some side effects. Without them, i've not experience much loss at all to be honest, all i use at the min is a DHT blocking shampoo. I'm thinning on the crown (will add pics later on) and hair loss is in the family with my dad being bald and my brother thinning on top a lot like I am, my paternal grandad however has a big thick wad of hair all over! My hair loss is a huge block in my life so although i'm only 26, i'd rather have one now as it's stopping me going anywhere and doing activities i'd love to be doing in my 20s (i use Dermmatch daily and am paranoid about it coming out, it does come out in the rain etc even with fixing/hairspray).
After trawling different forums, I'm looking at getting it done in America as I've not seen good reports about UK surgeons. I'm looking at Dr Feller or H&W, budget is approx. £8000 (hopefully) for the treatment. I know i might need to use Propecia afterwards to maintain, is this usually a necessity? Just considering how i'd get on with the sides (they weren't major, some Gyno i think and loss of labido).
How long should the transplanted hair last? Is it the follicles themselves that predetermine as to whether the hair will fall or is it more the blood supply from the area to them - i.e. would hair from the sides where i'm feeling i'm pretty thick still last a good 10-15years or so. I don't mind balding in my 50s as much as my 20s!
I've been thinning since i was 18 but really noticed it 4 years ago when there was very visible scalp. It's mainly the crown area where i'm thinning although it is spreading forwards towards the hairline so it's quite scattered. The hairs are generally there but very very thin. My hair line on the edges might be receeding so would probably want a little bit of treatment there just to frame my face better.
Thinking ahead, do most places shave your hair before transplanting (after marking up etc)? What's it like in terms of dying / colouring your hair? I'm aware this damages the existing hair, but would it make it fall out - thinking about if I go grey etc. I'm unlikely to take the risk regardless, more just wondering.

Will upload some pics in a bit, would appreciate any opinions on clinics etc inbetween. Before anyone says i'm too young, i understand why you might say that BUT i'm meant to be in the prime of my life and at the min, i'm very restricted in whether i'll go out and i'm always brushing my hair as it's very flat as it's so thin and i wear it in a spiky style.

Thanks

greg2

Reaction score
Welcome LFC, I too am considering a hair transplant. One thing you missed out was the hairloss on your maternal side.Its usually there the genes come from.
If you are looking for strip, Hasson and Wong and Dr. Arvind as both top choices. If you want only US doctors then theres Feller. Good luck with your journey.

LFC

Reaction score
greg2 said:
Welcome LFC, I too am considering a hair transplant. One thing you missed out was the hairloss on your maternal side.Its usually there the genes come from.
If you are looking for strip, Hasson and Wong and Dr. Arvind as both top choices. If you want only US doctors then theres Feller. Good luck with your journey.

My mum was quite thin hair but no balding as such, the rest of the family i'm not too sure about as she doesn't see much of them etc. I'm unsure about whether i'd be best with strip or FUE, gonna upload some pics after finding the damn computer cable for my camera! I'm generally a diffuse thinner, i think my donor area should be ok as it seems abundant enough at the min (touch wood!). I was torn between H&W and Feller, i'm not too bothered about where they are as i'll be coming from the UK anyway :)

greg2

Reaction score
I meant your maternal grandfather. If you are a diffuse thinner, that bad news by the way. Dont want to discourage you, but just stating the facts. You should definitely look up fue.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
greg2 said:
One thing you missed out was the hairloss on your maternal side.Its usually there the genes come from.........

I meant your maternal grandfather. If you are a diffuse thinner, that bad news by the way.

not true,it can come from anywhere in your family :)

Def

Established Member
Reaction score
That's not true either. 50% of your genetic material comes from your mother and 50% from your father. Same goes for them. It is, therefore, incorrect to say that it can "come from anywhere in your family". There are no "rules" when it comes to male pattern baldness - ie a bald maternal grandfather = male pattern baldness in you. What you mean to say is that the genes responsible for your own male pattern baldness can come from your mother or father (or both), which they in turn inherited from their mothers and fathers etc.

LFC

Reaction score
I've got no idea about my maternal grandfather, never knew him or much of my mum's side. When i say a diffuse thinner, what i mean is it is starting mainly at the crown moving forwards and thinning rather than balding at the min. I'll get some pics up ASAP when i've got wet and dry hair etc

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
Def said:
That's not true either. 50% of your genetic material comes from your mother and 50% from your father. Same goes for them. It is, therefore, incorrect to say that it can "come from anywhere in your family". when itThere are no "rules" comes to male pattern baldness - ie a bald maternal grandfather = male pattern baldness in you. What you mean to say is that the genes responsible for your own male pattern baldness can come from your mother or father (or both), which they in turn inherited from their mothers and fathers etc.

uhh yea which is a roundabout way of saying it can come from anywhere in your genetic line,ie anywhere in ya family

greg2

Reaction score
Lets not split hair :)

Hans Gruber said:
Def said:
That's not true either. 50% of your genetic material comes from your mother and 50% from your father. Same goes for them. It is, therefore, incorrect to say that it can "come from anywhere in your family". when itThere are no "rules" comes to male pattern baldness - ie a bald maternal grandfather = male pattern baldness in you. What you mean to say is that the genes responsible for your own male pattern baldness can come from your mother or father (or both), which they in turn inherited from their mothers and fathers etc.

uhh yea which is a roundabout way of saying it can come from anywhere in your genetic line,ie anywhere in ya family

greg2

Reaction score
Shockloss, possibility of multiple future hair transplants and not getting the desired goal all come to mind.
LFC said:
For what reasons Greg? The pattern of loss or something else?

LFC

Reaction score
Hi there, still reading through a lot of the forums previous pages, about expectations etc and that 1 session isn't the be all and end all. Just thinking - after a hair transplant, when the areas healed and scabs are gone, as the hairs are hopefully growing, can you still use concealers during the day if they're washed off at night and you keep up finasteride etc

LFC

Reaction score
Just had an email from Joe@Hassan&Wong. They feel i'm not suitable as i'm thinning in the back :( Any more input is appreciated. My hair has not thinned at all over the last 2-3 years as i'm scrutinising over it daily. Have any diffuse thinners got away with a hair transplant? I know i'm not gonna have a huge thick wad of hair, but a bit more coverage would make me happy.

G

Do you have pics of your hair when it is dry?

I mean your coverage is still pretty decent.

LFC

Reaction score
gillenator said:
Do you have pics of your hair when it is dry?

I mean your coverage is still pretty decent.

Hi mate, yeah took some more here which i'll add in a sec

More to come when imageshack starts working again!

LFC

Reaction score
Just to add, I don't feel my back and sides has thinned at all, my hair's been quite thin there before - when i use to buzz the sides and back a #3 or #4, you could see the scalp etc. So is it that my hair there was always too thin or are they just thinking it will thin from now on too? :(

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Wow your hairloss is a really odd pattern. Its like you have just started to diffuse from middle of your scalp without any definite bald patch but a straight line of hairloss along the natural part of your hair.

I can't see why some hair transplant surgeon can't do anything for you. I think you just need to push harder and be more insistant on getting something done.

I would definately get second opinions by other surgeons.