Considering hair transplant in California

pbrand

Reaction score
Considering hair transplant in California (Need Assistance)

Just finished making my 4 replies so I could start a thread lol. Also, wanted to thank everyone on here for the wealth of knowledge!

So I am 33, and first noticed thinning around 23. Both my younger brother and my dad went bald in their 20's and I have held onto much more of my hair for a lot longer.

• I used Propecia for a few years (23-25) and then got off it.
    • Going to get back on it ;)
  • Used Rogain foam for maybe 8 years (25-33) and just recently stopped using it.
    • Stopped using Rogain because it irritated my scalp and was a pain in the butt to keep up with
    • Paid the price for stopping the Rogain :(

Here are pics & video from this morning directly under light:

• IMG_1675.JPG
  • IMG_1677.JPG
  • IMG_1678.JPG
  • IMG_1680.JPG
  • [video=vimeo;156587583]https://vimeo.com/156587583[/video]

Pics of my 67 year old dad attached as thumbnails. Looks like he still has great donor areas :)

I sat down with my wife last month and have been seriously considering a hair transplant via FUT or FUE. I have been leaning more towards FUT based on all the reading I've done. My only concern going FUT would be scarring because I usually keep my sides short (1 Guard on the clippers). As far as surgeons go I have seen a lot of positive reviews on H&W. I came across this guy (David DiMuzio) on YouTube and he had a great testimonial video. It was here I found out about another surgeon Dr McGrath in Austin. Called Dr McGrath and said they had good pricing and will do free FUE on the scar to help conceal it. Any recommendations on amazing surgeons in California? That guys youtube channel is very convincing.

What are some realistic expectations I should have as I begin this journey? It is my understanding that donor hairs are limited and that I should assume just one hair transplant wont be enough.
  • What happens to my hair when I am 60, 70, 80? Will it have a strange and spotty look?
  • Should I focus on filling in my gaps rather than building out a young hairline?

Thanks ahead of time for all your help. Looking at pulling the trigger maybe 3rd quarter this year.

Attachments

• dad pic.png
    dad pic.png
    266.4 KB · Views: 674
  • dad pic 2.png
    dad pic 2.png
    178.3 KB · Views: 682
Last edited:

crowngarden

Reaction score
If you like to wear your sides or back short, I would rule out FUT. You never know how your scar is going to heal, some heal thin, some heal wide. Either way it's gonna show through a short 1 guard cut.

Before you make your decision, I would advise that you shave your head and see if it works for you. You might like it. If you hate it then you can always grow it back and go ahead with the hair transplant. Shaving your head is a decision that you can reverse. Having an hair transplant is NOT a decision you can reverse. If you have a hair transplant and hate it, it's going to be a long and expensive road trying to fix it to your liking and even then, you can never go back to where you were before the hair transplant. Don't mean to scare you, I've seen some amazing results by some great doctors. I'm just saying, it doesn't hurt to try an alternative first. Do tons of research and go to more than 1 consultation. Don't just pick a doctor that's close by because it's convenient.

pbrand

Reaction score
If you like to wear your sides or back short, I would rule out FUT. You never know how your scar is going to heal, some heal thin, some heal wide. Either way it's gonna show through a short 1 guard cut.

Before you make your decision, I would advise that you shave your head and see if it works for you. You might like it. If you hate it then you can always grow it back and go ahead with the hair transplant. Shaving your head is a decision that you can reverse. Having an hair transplant is NOT a decision you can reverse. If you have a hair transplant and hate it, it's going to be a long and expensive road trying to fix it to your liking and even then, you can never go back to where you were before the hair transplant. Don't mean to scare you, I've seen some amazing results by some great doctors. I'm just saying, it doesn't hurt to try an alternative first. Do tons of research and go to more than 1 consultation. Don't just pick a doctor that's close by because it's convenient.

Really good advice and I have considered that as well. My problem is that I have a very funny shaped head. The sides of my head protrude outward right above my ears. I shaved it once in 8th grade and never did it again.

crowngarden

Reaction score
Really good advice and I have considered that as well. My problem is that I have a very funny shaped head. The sides of my head protrude outward right above my ears. I shaved it once in 8th grade and never did it again.

I'm sure you look very different now than you did in the 8th grade (12 yrs old?) so I'd give it another shot. You might like it. Like I said, if you don't like it you can always grow it back and get a hair transplant. Don't get a strip surgery if you want to wear your sides or back short though.

g.i joey

Reaction score
Why don't you hop on finasteride, see what it does for you and then consult with a hair transplant doctor on what your next step could be?

pbrand

Reaction score
Assuming I have average to good donor hair, are multiple hair transplants only a temporary solution?

Even with hair transplant is it an uphill battle?

Let's pretend I had enough hair transplants over the next 5 years for a super full looking head of hair, what happens in the following 10 years?

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It depends on what you want to do with a hair transplant obviously, if you just want to fill in the hairline that you have you could probably go with one procedure of maybe 3500. If you want a new hairline you would need more than one procedure assuming you also want the rest filled in. Whatever it is that bugs you you should probably get done first. I don't think your hair is that bad yet so you can certainly get good results with maybe 3000 to 3500 grafts.

pbrand

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Pequod. I want to achieve maximum fullness if I do chose the hair transplant path, but I also want to be mindful of the future and make sure there is enough left to do another procedure 10-20 years later

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody here is familiar with good hair transplant surgeons in California?

Dolph

Established Member
Reaction score
Nobody here is familiar with good hair transplant surgeons in California?
I've also been looking and don't know of anyone who comes highly recommended, unfortunately. I'm looking for a FUE surgeon who's good with hairlines. If either of us finds a good surgeon, hopefully we can compare notes. I'm in SF and haven't found anyone particularly reputable in the area, and so far no luck in LA either although there are a LOT more surgeons there (big surprise) so it's taking some time to go through them all.

- - - Updated - - -

One doctor I found who seemed good especially with FUE, John Diep in San Francisco (http://www.mhtaclinic.com/) unfortunately performs what I consider to be unethical transplants -- if you take a look at his YouTube channel you'll see that he LOWERS a lot of hairlines, including people who were told no elsewhere. A lowered hairline can have disastrous results over time. A doctor who can create a great hairline that is appropriate for an individual's alopecia progression / age and set realistic expectations is probably the most important thing to me when looking for a doctor, and it's why I haven't found one yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like Dr. Rahal -- who is very well regarded -- keeps an office in Beverly Hills, but I'm not sure how involved he is himself as I believe he is from Toronto - http://www.rahalhairtransplant.com/

Also there's this guy - Tom Rosanelli in SF. He seems pretty old-school, and has mixed reviews, but he is inexpensive and does seem to put an emphasis on realistic expectations, which I appreciate: http://www.rosanelli.com/

I think I'm going to see him for a consult and update after I do. I doubt I'll choose him, but a free consultation can't hurt.

Another thing to consider -- and I think this is very important -- is that many people travel out of state or country for the right hair transplant surgeon because it makes more sense to find the surgeon you want rather than the location you want. A lot of these doctors offer rebates on travel expenses, too, so unless you absolutely can't leave the area for a hair transplant, it's worth considering places outside your own area. To that end, here are some of the doctors I am considering:

Shapiro Medical Group is very well regarded but they're in Minnesota - http://shapiromedical.com/
Dr. Gabel in Portland seems good - http://www.gabelcenter.com/

Hasson & Wong, maybe the most well-respected of all FUT surgeons, extremely expensive but cost shouldn't be too much of a consideration -- surgery is no small thing: http://www.hassonandwong.com/

H&W recently started doing doing FUE, and developed their technique with the help of Jose Lorenzo in Spain - http://www.injertocapilar.com/ - and Korry Erdogan in Turkey - http://www.hairtransplantfue.org/

More and more, I'm coming to realize that California just doesn't have the best surgeons, so I'm looking elsewhere. At the moment, I'm mostly considering Shapiro (they seem like best in the US for creating a great hairline, at least based on the pictures I have seen), and Korry in Istanbul because he is not only talented but insanely cheap compared to the others. I dunno. I'm only recently at the point where I've made a solid decision to get a hair transplant, but I think it will take some time to decide on a surgeon. I recommend taking your time, looking at lots of before and after photos, searching for the doctors on forums and Yelp, and talking to them on the phone to see if you get a good feeling about them. I obviously haven't been through the process myself before, but based on reading others' experiences this is the best advice I can offer.

In any case, definitely let me know if you come across a noteworthy surgeon in California.

pbrand

Reaction score
- - - Updated - - -

Seems like Dr. Rahal -- who is very well regarded -- keeps an office in Beverly Hills, but I'm not sure how involved he is himself as I believe he is from Toronto - http://www.rahalhairtransplant.com/

Also there's this guy - Tom Rosanelli in SF. He seems pretty old-school, and has mixed reviews, but he is inexpensive and does seem to put an emphasis on realistic expectations, which I appreciate: http://www.rosanelli.com/

I think I'm going to see him for a consult and update after I do. I doubt I'll choose him, but a free consultation can't hurt.

Another thing to consider -- and I think this is very important -- is that many people travel out of state or country for the right hair transplant surgeon because it makes more sense to find the surgeon you want rather than the location you want. A lot of these doctors offer rebates on travel expenses, too, so unless you absolutely can't leave the area for a hair transplant, it's worth considering places outside your own area. To that end, here are some of the doctors I am considering:

Shapiro Medical Group is very well regarded but they're in Minnesota - http://shapiromedical.com/
Dr. Gabel in Portland seems good - http://www.gabelcenter.com/

Hasson & Wong, maybe the most well-respected of all FUT surgeons, extremely expensive but cost shouldn't be too much of a consideration -- surgery is no small thing: http://www.hassonandwong.com/

H&W recently started doing doing FUE, and developed their technique with the help of Jose Lorenzo in Spain - http://www.injertocapilar.com/ - and Korry Erdogan in Turkey - http://www.hairtransplantfue.org/

More and more, I'm coming to realize that California just doesn't have the best surgeons, so I'm looking elsewhere. At the moment, I'm mostly considering Shapiro (they seem like best in the US for creating a great hairline, at least based on the pictures I have seen), and Korry in Istanbul because he is not only talented but insanely cheap compared to the others. I dunno. I'm only recently at the point where I've made a solid decision to get a hair transplant, but I think it will take some time to decide on a surgeon. I recommend taking your time, looking at lots of before and after photos, searching for the doctors on forums and Yelp, and talking to them on the phone to see if you get a good feeling about them. I obviously haven't been through the process myself before, but based on reading others' experiences this is the best advice I can offer.

In any case, definitely let me know if you come across a noteworthy surgeon in California.

Great info Dolph! Thanks for sharing all your opinions and homework, I will continue to do the same. Just hearing your opinion on the whole thing is super helpful and I share your same opinions. I want to build a optimistic but realistic hairline so that I don't shoot myself in the foot 10-20 years from now and look like a jack @ss. I am uncertain whether FUT or FUE still, but if I do go FUT am almost positive H&W is the most responsible choice to make.

These decisions are so hard to make because if results suck it would have been better we did nothing I think...

Deadman1

Established Member
Reaction score
I contacted Hasson & Wong twice and never heard back from them. I guess they didn't see enough dollar signs in what I needed done.

- - - Updated - - -

PBrand, check you PM messages.

pbrand

Reaction score
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Thanks for the info guys, shaved my head today just to give it a try but not super happy with the results.

arfy

Established Member
Reaction score
That look is a big change, so try to give yourself a month (or more) to get used to it.

FWIW

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you look good shaved.

pbrand

Reaction score
Yea it's ok. My wife and I both agree with hair looks a lot better, but shaved isn't bad. Micropig is tempting but I still think I want a hair transplant. Thanks for the honest feedback everyone.

image.jpeg

Here is a pic of my brother and I with shaved heads. I'm on the right.

when I see more hair growing back in the effected areas after the cold turkey minoxidil I will look more seriously into hair transplant. Thinking FUT first with continued FUE as needed. Only problem is that I refuse to take meds, especially finasteride. There is no way I'm going to make my wife live the rest of her life with an impotent man, not even if it's a 3% chance.

shookwun

Reaction score
I would just keep what you got grown out. Short, and tidy.

The bald look doesn't suite you. That little growth alone makes a world of a difference on your aesthetics, and appearance.

HLTransplant4863

Reaction score
Transplant

You have to consider the flight cost of going out of country, and also how much pain you'll be in on the way back, I got a transplant 2 weeks ago and first few days were pretty rough, plus the scabbing is bad so when you take your hat off to go through security everyone around you will see you have had work done, so if that bothers you I would recommend staying in country.

pbrand

Reaction score
I would just keep what you got grown out. Short, and tidy.

The bald look doesn't suite you. That little growth alone makes a world of a difference on your aesthetics, and appearance.

I agree that a little goes a long way, but the more it grows out the more highlighted the thinning is...I think it's just hard to accept that and move forward with it when the loss of hair happened so quickly, like within a week. It's hard to embrace something you've never been before lol.

shookwun

Reaction score
Well yeah, that's why you keep it short.

Have your barber fade the sides and go for a flat crew cut or something.

A little pomade and product to side part.... it will look good.