Considering FUE - how many grafts would I need?

New2HS

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Really appreciate how informative the hair transplant forums are!

I'm 38 years of age, white, Caucasian male, fine hair but quite thick and full when I grow it out. Almost positively Neanderthal on the sides, haha.

I have been considering FUE in Turkey after wearing a hair system for almost 2 years. I've enjoyed wearing a HS but the maintenance is starting to wear me down and other aspects, like avoiding longer holidays with others due to needing to change my system hair, etc.

I have also been taking finasteride for about 6 years.

How many grafts would I need and would FUE be something suitable for me? I would be considering along hairline, crown and to thicken up top.

Also, could I wear a hair system over the transplant area after 1 month during my transition to let my hair grow out?

Thank you :)

Attachments

• thumbnail_20210314_211735.jpg
    thumbnail_20210314_211735.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Really appreciate how informative the hair transplant forums are!

I'm 38 years of age, white, Caucasian male, fine hair but quite thick and full when I grow it out. Almost positively Neanderthal on the sides, haha.

I have been considering FUE in Turkey after wearing a hair system for almost 2 years. I've enjoyed wearing a HS but the maintenance is starting to wear me down and other aspects, like avoiding longer holidays with others due to needing to change my system hair, etc.

I have also been taking finasteride for about 6 years.

How many grafts would I need and would FUE be something suitable for me? I would be considering along hairline, crown and to thicken up top.

Also, could I wear a hair system over the transplant area after 1 month during my transition to let my hair grow out?

Thank you :)
Probably a great FUE candidate at your age and loss pattern. I guess it would depend on how it looks grown out but I wouldn't think you need anything but your front redone. Because you're almost 40, depending on your donor you could probably go like 3500~ at the front and get it looking amazing for the rest of your life.

I'm actually almost shocked you wear a system with that much hair left, but the answer to wearing it after the surgery is probably a hard no. You'd risk damaging it all and probably ruining growth.

In regards to the system in general, I know nothing about them. Do you shower with it on? Shampoo it? Can you go swimming?

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Draw a semi-circle on the front of your head. Now work out the surface area in square centimetres of that semi circle using the formula - The area of a circle is pi times the radius squared (A = π r²). Divide it by two as you are only measuring a semi circle.

The actual surface area will be more than this as the head is dome shaped not flat but this will give you a rough idea.

Now multiply that surface area in square centimetres by 50 which is the density per centimetre most hair transplant surgeons aim to achieve for a dense look.

You'll see that it'll be around 3000 as the others above have suggested.

DON'T go anywhere that tells you they can cover your whole head in one surgery. They are lying. Also 3000 grafts should be a two day surgery if done with FUE, don't go anywhere that tells you they'll do it in one day.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Depends on your expectations, but 2.5k-3k graphs will give you a very good head of hair by the right surgeon. Yes, you can do 3k graphs from a single session. The most talented hair transplant doctor even does up to 6/7k in one session. I’d go for it at your age.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Depends on your expectations, but 2.5k-3k graphs will give you a very good head of hair by the right surgeon. Yes, you can do 3k graphs from a single session. The most talented hair transplant doctor even does up to 6/7k in one session. I’d go for it at your age.
I think you mean grafts not graphs. Yes maybe some top doctors can do 3k in one day (there's probably only a handful in the world) but 6-7k would be difficult even for a top strip surgeon, I just don't believe that. But if we aren't talking top doctors most FUE doctors struggle to do 1k per day, hence all the bad results we keep seeing.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you mean grafts not graphs. Yes maybe some top doctors can do 3k in one day (there's probably only a handful in the world) but 6-7k would be difficult even for a top strip surgeon, I just don't believe that. But if we aren't talking top doctors most FUE doctors struggle to do 1k per day, hence all the bad results we keep seeing.
Indeed grafts. Look up Dr. Zarev giga-sessions. 13k grafts over 2 days. I wouldn’t get work done on my hair unless it was someone very reputable. I think 2-3k graphs in a single session is becoming a lot more normalized in this decade of hair transplants.