concentrations of proanthocyandins in common foods

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you Michel for the interesting link.

In Spain, is common eat raisin, dry grapes.

Armando

mumuka

Established Member
Reaction score
Total PA`s:
Cinnamon(ground) 8108.2 ± 424.2
grape seed (dry) 3532.3 ± 105.8
blueberries 179.8 ± 50.8

Sorry for the short post but i`m out of here running to buy some ground cinnamon.Officially i`m done with the grape seed extract.I bet cinnamon is cheaper too...

michael barry

Reaction score
mumumka,

Different proanthocyandin oligomers inhibit differnt inflammatory cytokines. The C-1 proanthocyandins inhibit Protien Kinease C are found in grape seed extract.

The B-2 proanthocyadins that inhibit PKC (above) and tgf-beta 1 are in apples

B-3 proanthocyandins are in barley and inhibit TGF-beta.

Apparently the catechins in green tea extract (or the catechin ecgc) inbibits TNF-alpha and TGF-beta 1 and TGF-beta 2

Its complicated. Science is finding out what different oligomers inbibit or not. I dont know which kinds are in cinammon (but Im sure cinnamon is good for you). You might have to do some google work and see.......

docj077

Reaction score
michael barry said:
mumumka,

Different proanthocyandin oligomers inhibit differnt inflammatory cytokines. The C-1 proanthocyandins inhibit Protien Kinease C are found in grape seed extract.

Apparently the catechins in green tea extract (or the catechin ecgc) inbibits TNF-alpha and TGF-beta 1 and TGF-beta 2

Its complicated. Science is finding out what different oligomers inbibit or not. I dont know which kinds are in cinammon (but Im sure cinnamon is good for you). You might have to do some google work and see.......

Thanks for posting this information. I've been looking for something similar.

CCS

Reaction score
mumuka said:
Total PA`s:
Cinnamon(ground) 8108.2 ± 424.2
grape seed (dry) 3532.3 ± 105.8
blueberries 179.8 ± 50.8

Sorry for the short post but i`m out of here running to buy some ground cinnamon.Officially i`m done with the grape seed extract.I bet cinnamon is cheaper too...

make cinamon tea. only the water soluble part is good. The rest is mildly toxic and can build up (fat soluble) if you eat a lot of powder. Yeah, it's cheap. I just put a sprinkle on my oat meal, though. Look for unsweetened cocoa. I bet that ranks high, and all good. Cheap too.

CCS

Reaction score
docj077 said:
michael barry said:
mumumka,

your body can't absorb the good stuff out of green tea unless you extract it by making tea. Just like extracting THC with butter. No high if you eat the weed. That's what I heard anyway. I wonder if I have to make barley tea or beer to get the B3, or if I can just eat the barley. I think grape seeds might be the same too; eating them is not enough.

Even vitamin K in leafy greens is hard to extract without the help of some fat, like whole milk yogart. And it has to be saturated fat. I'll start combing the two while chewing. And chew your vitamin pills. Don't trust the companies that they will dissolve. I heard they don't always.

docj077

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
docj077 said:
michael barry said:
mumumka,

your body can't absorb the good stuff out of green tea unless you extract it by making tea. Just like extracting THC with butter. No high if you eat the weed. That's what I heard anyway. I wonder if I have to make barley tea or beer to get the B3, or if I can just eat the barley. I think grape seeds might be the same too; eating them is not enough.

Even vitamin K in leafy greens is hard to extract without the help of some fat, like whole milk yogart. And it has to be saturated fat. I'll start combing the two while chewing. And chew your vitamin pills. Don't trust the companies that they will dissolve. I heard they don't always.

It's actually a myth that they don't dissolve. Vitamins and many other drugs are put into a lattice that maintains the structure of the supplement. When you hear of people still seeing there vitamins at the end of its digestive journey all that they are seeing is the lattice.

CCS

Reaction score
well the taste does not bother me. I swallow L-glutamine, which is the nastiest stuff you can swallow.