Complete beginner! HELP!

Dashtoronto

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a complete beginner. Getting a piece for the very first time. Whoa - look at all the options I have to sort through:

--------------
toplace.com

select base

100 super fine swiss
150 above plus 3/4 poly on back and sides
200 french lace
250 above plus 3/4 poly on back and sides
300 i-Lace
400 PSB artificial skin
500 3' SFS Front Plus French Base
550 Above Plus 3/4 Poly on back and sides
600 Exercise Base
700 New Generation Base

select base size or template

6 x 8 A front curvature
6 x 8 AA front curvature
6 x 8 CC front curvature
7 x 9 A front curvature
7 x 9 AA front curvature
7 x 9 C front curvature
8 x 10 A front curvature
8 x 10 AA front curvature
8x 10 CC front curvature
Customer will send template
Template on file

select hair color
1 (solid black)
1B
2 (Dark Brown)
4 (medium dark brown)
6 (medium chestnut)
18 (light brown)
20R
22R
30R
Send Hair sample
Color On File

Select Gray

None
5%
10%
20%
30%
40%
50%

select hair style
freestyle
comb forward with spikey front
Left part
right part
center part
left break
right break
Comb back
Flatback/Spikey front

select hair density

extra light (40%-45%)
light (50%-55%)
medium (60%-65%)
medium heavy (70%-75%)
heavy (80%-90%)
extra heavy (90% plus)

select curl or wave hair

straight
body wave
slight wave (30mm-26mm)
medium wave (25mm-20mm)
tight wave (19mm-16mm)
medium curl (15mm-11mm)
tight curl (10mm-6mm)

select length
3"
4"
5"
6"

select priority

Standard (4-6 weeks)
Express $40(7-10 days faster)

enter additional info in box below:

------------------------------------------

Where do I even begin to figure out what are my best options? How did all the other members in this forum figure out whats best for them and get the piece that they are completely and totally happy with?

ps. Did all the members on this forum that ordered their piece all end up happy with the first piece they ever got? These pieces don't come cheap! $200+ a piece!

Help!

scorpiolove74

Established Member
Reaction score
I suggest that you talk to John from Toplace about what style of hair you want, that way you can save money on a hairstylist to cut in your new hair piece.
Its likely that your first hairpiece wont be perfect but it will be acceptable.
With time as you try the new bases, you will find the one thats right for you and your lifestyle.
With hairpieces its all a trial and error thing,whats right for you may not be right for some lol like the song from the 80s sitcom Different Strokes says. Anways if your on a budget like I am, durability could be an issue with you, you might want to try a french lace base first to get used to wearing a hairpiece,then when your confident enough with wearing a hairpiece you might want to try a less durable, but more undetectable base.
You got a lot of time to get it right, just try more density if your hair is thick every where else besides your bald spots, and less density if your remaining hair is thin. I just started hair wearing about two months ago and it has been fun, the first step is just to have the courage to order, the rest is easy! and by the way 200$ is nothing to spend compared to going to a hairclub or to just accept the fact that your balding. I will give you a little piece of knowledge that I attained during my martial arts training with my sensei Thomas Downing, the best investment that you can make in life is on yourself! So dont be afraid in investing in something that could be positively life changing for yourself.
If you have any more questions I will be around, I wish you all the best!

Dashtoronto

Established Member
Reaction score
scorpiolove74 said:
I suggest that you talk to John from Toplace about what style of hair you want, that way you can save money on a hairstylist to cut in your new hair piece.
Its likely that your first hairpiece wont be perfect but it will be acceptable.
With time as you try the new bases, you will find the one thats right for you and your lifestyle.
With hairpieces its all a trial and error thing,whats right for you may not be right for some lol like the song from the 80s sitcom Different Strokes says. Anways if your on a budget like I am, durability could be an issue with you, you might want to try a french lace base first to get used to wearing a hairpiece,then when your confident enough with wearing a hairpiece you might want to try a less durable, but more undetectable base.
You got a lot of time to get it right, just try more density if your hair is thick every where else besides your bald spots, and less density if your remaining hair is thin. I just started hair wearing about two months ago and it has been fun, the first step is just to have the courage to order, the rest is easy! and by the way 200$ is nothing to spend compared to going to a hairclub or to just accept the fact that your balding. I will give you a little piece of knowledge that I attained during my martial arts training with my sensei Thomas Downing, the best investment that you can make in life is on yourself! So dont be afraid in investing in something that could be positively life changing for yourself.
If you have any more questions I will be around, I wish you all the best!

"you might want to try a french lace base first to get used to wearing a hairpiece,then when your confident enough with wearing a hairpiece you might want to try a less durable, but more undetectable base"

but - question is -

1) If french lace is detectable - what is the point of purchasing a hair piece that everyone will be able to see a mile away - and laugh at?

2) How detectable is a french lace - in clubs? in bars? at work?

if its not going to fool anyone - really no point whatsoever to even attempt trying.

3) Are pieces other than french lace really that difficult to apply?

4) Who's John from Toplace?

Most Important Question:

5) Is french lace really detectable? Like, that obvious or even considerably/reasonably obvious to the human eye?

scorpiolove74

Established Member
Reaction score
French lace isnt that detectable, a lot of Hollywood celebrities have french lace units and people view them very very closely. Look at John Travoltas pics and you will see what I mean. He wears a french lace unit and has been hair wearing for years, to the human eye, even from centimetres away, it looks completely real, the french lace base dissappears into the hairline, so even when you slick your hair back it looks real. Of course there are other bases that are more undetectable like the poly skin base but they are less durable and they last less longer than the french lace base.

On to the next topic, John from toplace is the co owner of toplace.com and he knows a lot about bases and hairstyles and can lead you in the right direction of what your looking for in a hair piece. When it comes to hair pieces and choosing bases its all a matter of personal preference, the main issue for hair wearers is durability vs. detectability, to learn more go to Toplace.com and on the main menu on the middle top of their screen go to
Style Options
and under that you will find Bases
click on Bases and they will show you several different types of bases and the advantages and disavantages of each type of base, I hope this helps, if you have any more questions i will be around.

MartyKay

Reaction score
French lace is just about the most undetectable material available, but some versions are better than others. Generally, Swiss lace is the MOST undetectable material, but the best French lace comes very, very close.

As far as attachment, lace takes a bit of trial and error, but once you get the hang of it, attachment is easy. I would suggest ordering a French lace system with a poly (solid, flexible & translucent material) perimeter around the back and sides. The poly helps the piece to keep its shape and makes it easier to get the piece in exactly the right position.

There are several good on-line sellers. Some are cheaper than others and some have better quality (hair quality and workmanship) than others. Check with a few companies before you decide to make your purchase.

Dashtoronto

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't know what happened.

But the toplace.com website went down. Don't know if its permanent. : /