coming to end of wk #3 on finasteride, hair feels like sh*t

fatman

Reaction score
I havent reallie experienced any shedding, just minor where i see 5 or so hair when i brush. The problem is it feels like my hair has stopped growing, and as a result, my top is thinner than it usually is. I guess its normal, but i just need reassurance on this, as this is kind of depressing. thanks

md2002

Established Member
Reaction score
I never had a shed, or didn't notice. I was on it so long ago that I can't tell you.

I think what your seeing is normal though

fatman

Reaction score
md2002 said:
I never had a shed, or didn't notice. I was on it so long ago that I can't tell you.

wow, you've been on finasteride for 6 yrs? how's it working for u? did you notice a gradual decline in the effectiveness as time wore on? n e sides? thanks

dek

Reaction score
dude, you are on week #3...people in this forum have gone a year without noticing any changes...there should really be nothing out of the ordinary going on up there, are you sure its not just in your mind? I mean how much would your hair really grow in three weeks anyway...

md2002

Established Member
Reaction score
yaoming said:
md2002 said:

wow, you've been on finasteride for 6 yrs? how's it working for u? did you notice a gradual decline in the effectiveness as time wore on? n e sides? thanks

Probably longer than 6 years. The day I saw the 1st commercial for Propecia I went out and bought it. So if you can remeber that day, that is when I started.

Anyway, It worked great ( worked being the key word here ) I had a bald spot in the back of my head that everyone pointed out and thinning all around the the crown that no one noticed but me. Once I started finasteride, and to this day, the bald spot on my head is gone and has not come back. I have FULL coverage, and then some, where the bald spot used to be. Over the years my hair was still thin but never got worse and never saw 1 hair in the shower from shedding. Basically it grew back ALL the hair in the back of my head and kept what I had. There is no doubt that I would be bald if not for Propecia. However, over the last year I have noticed that I am starting to thin again and am noticeably getting thinner. It may have been in my head but since I saw the thinning I switched to the regimen you see in my signature. So far I see no improvement but it has only been a month or so.

Side effects , can't say I have really seen any. I mean I have a cloudy mind, and can't remeber things and feel like I am depressed at time. I can't say it's Propecia but I can't say it is not Propecia. Bottom line is your putting a foreign substance in your body, things are going to happen. I haven't had any Major side effects, so I consider myself lucky.

Sorry for the long post but to answer your question.

I've been on it for 7 years, it has worked great but I do beleive it is losing it's effectiveness, and have had no major side that I can prove are from Propecia.

fatman

Reaction score
dek said:
dude, you are on week #3...people in this forum have gone a year without noticing any changes...there should really be nothing out of the ordinary going on up there, are you sure its not just in your mind? I mean how much would your hair really grow in three weeks anyway...

probably just my mind, you're right. but you know when you start on something, you start overanalyzing everything. b4, i didnt ever pay attention much on my body, but now, every little change, i start analyzing.

SE-freak

Reaction score
md2002 said:
yaoming said:
md2002 said:

Probably longer than 6 years. The day I saw the 1st commercial for Propecia I went out and bought it. So if you can remeber that day, that is when I started.

Anyway, It worked great ( worked being the key word here ) I had a bald spot in the back of my head that everyone pointed out and thinning all around the the crown that no one noticed but me. Once I started finasteride, and to this day, the bald spot on my head is gone and has not come back.

md2002, how old were you when you started taking propecia?

TheBaldingMenace

Established Member
Reaction score
Yup, 3 wks is waaaaaaay too early to start scooping out the effectiveness of a treatment. You appear to understand this but I can understand your feelings. Hey, I thought that using this stuff would help me regrow my hair NOT loose it! But any hairloss treatment is going to do this to you. It's kind of like the silver lining before the sunlight breaks through IF it turns out that your a good responder with that particular treatment.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
your time lines for propecia fall exactly in the expectant time that the effectiveness of propecia is supposed to start waning. 5 years is the average. Thats actually very good, perhaps dutasteride might be of interest if your current regimen doesn't work out the way you hope it does.

To the other user: if your hair looks like sh*t, the only possible way I can see it might make a difference from the propecia is that during the initial weeks of usage, propecia actually tends to promote a slight increase in testosterone which eventually disappates. In the mean while, the increase of testosterone can lead to increased greasiness of the scalp which obviously can make ones hair look different, for better or worse.

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
i just posted a thread last night about my hair just not growing anymore since taking finasteride 5 weeks ago.

what Norwood are you?

md2002

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm about a norwood 5, or will be a norwood 5. I can see where I will be bald because the hair is thinning but still there. I was about 24/25 when I started on Propecia. I do believe it has lost it's effectiveness, I also believe taking more will not help at this point.

As far as dutasteride goes, I don't care what people say about it working or not working. The FCC may be crooked but I am not putting anything into my body that they do not approve of. Just a personal preference. Who knows what the long term damage that stuff is doing to you is. The same could be said about Propecia but at least Proscar has been around for a LONG time and that is the same as Propecia...