Reaction score
alicosell.jpg

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ha ha

s.a.f

Reaction score
Thats the kind of treatment you can expect if someone suspects that you're wearing even if your piece is not an obvious one like that pic.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Thats the kind of treatment you can expect if someone suspects that you're wearing even if your piece is not an obvious one like that pic.

No it isn't. What's unusual about it is how bad Cossell's piece is and how aggressive Ali is. If cossell's hair looked perfectly normal Ali's joke would just fall completely flat. I really think you've built up some irrational fears about pieces in your mind, which isn't unusual because of the knee-jerk reaction and negative association to really bad rugs that most people have. Think about it, if it becomes a group joke it has to be quite noticeable to a very large number of people...otherwise people just won't care enough, it just won't get any traction.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Mulder, I may be wrong...but I think you're trying to build up your own internal case for getting a wig. It seems that you're trying to solicit answers that conform to what you want to hear, while at the same time formulating explanations for those whose perspective differs from your hopes.

If you've decided to do this already, then why is it important to defend the decision? The only way you're going to find out is by getting the piece, gluing it to your head, and stepping into your environment.

s.a.f

Reaction score
mulder said:
s.a.f said:

No it isn't. What's unusual about it is how bad Cossell's piece is and how aggressive Ali is. If cossell's hair looked perfectly normal Ali's joke would just fall completely flat.

All I know is that if I turned up for work/met my mates in the pub wearing a piece, (even if it looked totally natural and made me look as good as Brad Pitt and even if it was virtually undetectable and it was only discovered by accident) it would certainly be a memorable day.
They would take the piss mercilessly. Probably try to pull it off, tell the entire world and forever refer to me as Tony Curtis/Bruce Forsyth/Terry Wogan etc. I would expect them to constantly pull practicle jokes eg all turn up wearing clown wigs talk about dead ferrets/guinea pigs etc. I'm sure that this type of behaviour would go on forever.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
hairwegoagain said:
Mulder, I may be wrong...but I think you're trying to build up your own internal case for getting a wig. It seems that you're trying to solicit answers that conform to what you want to hear, while at the same time formulating explanations for those whose perspective differs from your hopes.

If you've decided to do this already, then why is it important to defend the decision? The only way you're going to find out is by getting the piece, gluing it to your head, and stepping into your environment.

Well your right to some extent, I am debating the pros and cons on getting a piece. This forum tends to very anti-hair piece, so I find myself defending them, but I'm weighing the arguments in my mind. I'm most likely going to try out wearing one but I'm still debating it somewhat. It's natural people would look for input, not just getting responses you want to hear, but also trying to see what criticism is out there. I'm honestly trying to be as objective as possible with this and not just engage in wishful thinking. I understand that there's a big downside to hair pieces, I'm just arguing that most people blow it out of proportion because of all the stereotypes that exist and associating them with worst and therefore much more visible examples. I really do believe that for most people, if they were a good piece and put the effort in, most other people will either not know or they won't be conscious of it enough for it to be a big deal.

But it is good to give some thought on how you might deal with an a**h** who won't stop harassing you about it or some other disasterous situation...embarassing moments are bound to happen when you're wearing a piece, but I would say the same about going bald as well (unless you look decent bald and just shave it off at the first noticeable signs of male pattern baldness).

CCS

Reaction score
Mulder,

If you order a stock piece, you will probably be disappointed. I looked at pics of guys who got stock pieces at the recent convention center. They were professionally put on. They looked 10x better than they did before. Only problem was the color was not dead on. I could see it. They simply don't have every combination of color, wave, direction, and density in stock, and don't have temple flaps or front partials in stock.

My point in mentioning this is that if you want to look good, you need to send in hair samples that are forwarded to the factory, and you need to make a template with arrows drawn on it showing what direction every hair needs to point. That takes 4-8 weeks. I'll be ordering mine soon. You can order yours, or you can wait for me to get mine. But when I get mine, I'm going to ask former coworkers who knew I used to be bald how they like my new hair style. I'm sure they will call me on it if they think it looks fake. My NW1 friends want me to shave my head, and will notice the thicker front. If they all are fooled, then I'm good. But finally, there is one guy I already told that I will be getting the piece. I'll have him look it over closely and feel it and tell me he thinks it will fly. Of course I'll make sure it passes my requirements before I leave the apartment.

So wait for me if you want, or make a template and get a custom piece. Once you shave the area, you can make a much better second template.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
CCS, I suspect you're right...the stock piece is likely not going to look good enough. It probably is better to get a custom one made, and even then take your time until you get it just right (i.e. shears, dying, getting it cut in and fitted properly, or even returning it if its too off). I think there's no way around putting the work into planning it, unless you can afford to go to a top of the line place and pay a fortune for the best work. Otherwise you'll just rush and end up slapping something 'good enough' on with less than great results. I'd imagine the hardest part is the first few weeks, a really bad start might put you off it for good when it was really a failure to get it right.

CCS

Reaction score
I think the most critical part is shaving the area to match the shape of the piece. If you are NW5, I doubt you can do it youself. You'd have to go to a salon. I don't know how many salons are skilled enough to shave like that. I don't trust them. They mess up my hair as it is. i'm glad i'm just NW4A, so i can do a straight shave in the front.

CCS

Reaction score
I want to buy my piece now, but I don't know how to pay for it. Their online form only has stock pieces. I emailed John, but I guess he gets a lot of emails. It takes at least 3 days to get a response. I also don't know the exact price. It seems those guys get so many questions that they just skip emails fast and give short answers which may or may not be what I was asking. I can't complain though with their prices, if I can just get the prices.

CCS

Reaction score
bubka said:
http://www.coolpiece.com/

thats what The Bald Truth recommends

http://www.toplace.com is at least $75 less. Hundreds of dollars less for full caps. From what I've seen looking at the sites, there is not a quality difference.

(//*YATO*//)

Reaction score
I think there should be a tag-team match of mulder & CCS vs hairwegoagain & s.a.f.

Announcer: "In this corner, at a combined weight of XXX lbs., we have team Glass Half-Full."
Crowd: cheers
Announcer: "In this corner, at a combined weight of XXX lbs., team Glass Half-Empty."
Crowd: silence

Seriously though, I don't know why the later bothers to post in these threads... Devil's advocate, much?

No offense, but every argument you guys present, can be countered with the same repugnant measures ad infinitum. It just serves no purpose toward eductation to continually slam each other with counter logic. These guys, as well as myself, are obviously interested in researching this method for handling hair loss, and it does no one any good to bother with this nonsense. The two of you have made it well clear that neither is interested in wearing or experimenting with hair systems, so I don't see why you continue to impress your opinions on those vested in this arena.

"Don't hate, appreciate..." their soon-to-be, luxurious, hand woven, natural, fine, silk lace, indetectable, hair pieces.

(//*YATO*//)

Reaction score
hairwegoagain said:

Did you ever stop to think that you and s.a.f may be doing the exact, same thing, but in reverse?

"If you don't want to wear, we don't care."

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
I think the most critical part is shaving the area to match the shape of the piece..

1. Position the Unit correctly on the head.
2. Take a marking instrument & make dots on the head around the edge as you hold it in place.
3. Take the clippers and cut the hair off within the dots.

It is not the most critical part.