Dismiss Notice
Poll: Select your 15 Tsuji Questions here.
Dismiss Notice
Hair Loss Clinical Research Pipeline released. Read more.

Cholesterol Produces 5 Alpha Reductase = Baldness ??

Discussion in 'Men's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by DammitLetMeIn, Feb 9, 2007.

1. DammitLetMeIn

DammitLetMeIn Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Higher Cholesterol Levels

Men with this male pattern baldness had cholesterol levels five to six milligrams higher than the other men, or about 213.5 milligrams per deciliter. Their diastolic blood pressure was about two points higher, averaging 89.1 millimeters of mercury. The findings were independent of age, body fat, smoking and use of alcohol.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A966958260

Cholesterol Accumulation
    Cholesterol which has been known to produce the enzyme 5 alpha reductase can also accumulate in the skin and scalp. When this cholesterol accumulation comes in contact with sunlight it produces the enzyme 5 alpha reductase directly in the scalp. Since the hair follicles contain testosterone, DHT is then produced in the skin and on the scalp. Since the ultimate goal is to block DHT from reaching the hair follicles, it is very important to keep cholesterol from accumulating in the scalp.

http://www.add-hair.com/hair-loss-causes.htm

Hair
    Cholesterol is the starting point in the long biochemical pathway that leads to the formation of 5-Alpha Reductase enzyme that converts Testosterone to Dihydrotestosterone - the substance implicated in Male Pattern Baldness:

- Male Pattern Baldness sufferers are more likely to exhibit elevated total serum Cholesterol levels than those who are not afflicted with MPB.

http://www.naturaltherapycenter.com/HEA ... /index.htm

2. The Gardener

The Gardener Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Then explain why Dr Weil is bald.
    [​IMG]

Or this fine fellow.
    [​IMG]

3. DammitLetMeIn

Dislikes Received:
    Dr Weil recommends eating:

Sources of saturated fats include butter, cream, cheese, and full-fat dairy products, unskinned chicken, fatty meats and products made with coconut and palm-kernel oils

so that would pretty much ensure a DHT overload

4. The Gardener

Dislikes Received:
    No he doesn't.

He specifically recommends REDUCING intake of saturated fats. Here is his diet suggestion regarding fat, and the web citation from which it came.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 96,00.html

You told a lie, DammitLetMeIn

5. DammitLetMeIn

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't lie.

if u read it. he says that how to REDUCE. he doesn't say not to eat those things.

he lists them as sources of food.

6. The Gardener

Dislikes Received:
    Here is what the article you cited in another thread as your "backup" actually says:

He's NOT telling people that eating saturated fats is good, he is telling them they should LIMIT saturated fats, and then goes on to write the list you cited NOT as a guide to what you should eat, but rather a guide to the kinds of fats you should be avoiding.

Nice try at pulling a quote out of context.

Resorting to distortion and untruth is pretty pathetic.

7. DammitLetMeIn

Dislikes Received:

he eats cooked fats man:

* DO select good-quality, natural cheeses (without dyes and additives). You can include them in your diet as long as you consider your overall intake of saturated fats. "You can have a certain amount of saturated fat in your diet," Weil says, "especially if you are eating primarily monounsaturated fats [for example, in olive oil or avocados] elsewhere, and it's in the context of a diet that is high in antioxidants from fresh fruits and vegetables. So you decide what you want to eat [that saturated fat] as. Do you want ice cream? Do you want to eat it as beef? My preference is to eat it as cheese."

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... 74713/pg_3

8. The Gardener

Dislikes Received:
    You're an intellectually dishonest weasel. You made a claim and I called you out on the rug for it.

Now you are trying to sidestep the issue by changing the subject.

You're a liar.

9. DammitLetMeIn

Dislikes Received:
    smh at u catchin feelings. what the article said (whilst I read it wrong) is correct.

those ARE sources of fat on his diet. whilst he advocates reducing them he also advocates 1/5 of 30% of his diet to be from this source.

10. The Gardener

Dislikes Received:
    Let me quote MORE from the same article you cited as backup...

He is NOT AT ALL recommending that people should, in effect, TRY to make sure they get in at least 1/5th of their fats in the form of saturate fats. He is saying that saturated fats are NOT good, and people should strive to keep them less than 1/5th of their total fat intake.

Please tell me where he is "advocating" people to eat saturated fats?...

11. DammitLetMeIn

Dislikes Received:
    He is NOT AT ALL recommending that people should, in effect, TRY to make sure they get in at least 1/5th of their fats in the form of saturate fats. He is saying that saturated fats are NOT good, and people should strive to keep them less than 1/5th of their total fat intake.

Please tell me where he is "advocating" people to eat saturated fats?...[/quote:74f3b]

'with no more than a fifth of that from saturated fats'

whilst hes no 'advocating' he is saying you can eat sats. he has spoken of his love of cheese too.

this really is a small point in the overall scheme of what we're trying to get at.

12. The Gardener

Dislikes Received:
    Really... here was your initial statement:

And only after calling your mistruth out for what it is, only now do you say:

13. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    As I mentioned in the other thread, those claims are complete idiocy.

Bryan

14. abcdefg

abcdefg Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I dont understand why there are millions of eat a good diet thread it helps with hairloss. Everyone is trying to eat like that. We all know it makes us healthier and might make a small difference with MPB. Its not the cure so lets try finding a real solution to MPB.

15. docj077

docj077 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    A reduction is the same as removing from the diet. Just because a person recommends a particular avenue of dieting that doesn't mean that he himself embraces that avenue, as well. He recommends not eating or reducing your intake of those things, which is exactly what he does.

Not eating fat means that you don't absorb fat soluble vitamins and you DIE.

Pick one. Your hair or a nice coffin.

16. DammitLetMeIn

Dislikes Received:
    You misread that whole argument thing.

Of course fat is necessary, it is the most important nutrient in our bodies.

However, eating a lot of cooked animal fat is deleterious. Heating fat is baaaaaaaad news. I suggest you read Udo Erasmus 'Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill'.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

i suggest you cool it, damnitletmein.

stop spamming the forums with your crap. you are pushing more important threads off of the page because you post 30 times a day in your threads and are contributing nothing to this board

PLEASE DO NOT MAKE ANY NEW THREADS in THIS FORUM for at least a week. THANK YOU.

18. DammitLetMeIn

Dislikes Received:
    Dude, I suggest you cool it.

I haven't made any threads since I joined. I made a few at the start and thats it.

Any post I make is a reply to something which has been aimed at me.

If you don't like the threads - don't read them.

Damn man, I solve baldness and this is the thanks I get.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah you are clearly trolling the forums and it's going to stop. You solve baldness and this is the thanks you get? You haven't solved anything. YOu've admitted that all the stuff you've come up with is just regurgitated crap that you've read in books and on websites.

20. DammitLetMeIn

Dislikes Received:
    Baldness is caused by a hormonal imbalance caused by eating the wrong macronutrient breakdown. All the previous science on insulin sensitivity WAS actually relevant.

The last two websites I posted were based on medical science and the sources are all there.

But on the forum issue, I made what 4-5 threads when i first joined and none since. They might be crap to you but thankfully some people have the intelligence to realize they're not.