Chest pain and heart palpitations due to Minoxidil??

ThatGuy

Reaction score
So this is my first post and here is my story, ill try to keep it brief………..
I started using Propecia and 1ml 5% Minoxidil twice a day around the end of December. I noticed pretty quick results from the Minoxidil and I liked what I was seeing. At this point I did not experience any type of chest pain. I continued this regiment and after seeing more results with the Minoxidil, I decided to increase my dosage to 1.50ml twice a day.

Soon after, I cannot pinpoint the exact time, I began to have some chest pain and palpitations. Initially I attributed this to either heartburn or acid indigestion so I didn’t take any serious concern to it. After these chest pains continued and at times got worse, I started to become worried. This past week, these pains have been occurring almost daily and sometimes more than once a day. I stopped using Minoxidil hoping the pains would cease, but they still have continued.

Today I had enough and went to the hospital to get this checked out. I am 22 years old and in great physical shape and never had any heart or chest problems in the past. After blood work and multiple tests, the doctors found nothing.

With that being said, do you think these chest pains and heart palpitations can be correlated to Minoxidil? What about the increase from 1ml 2x a day to 1.50ml 2x a day? Has anyone else experienced these affects? Should I switch to 2%? Should I lower my dosage to 1ml once a day? Should I stop Minoxidil completely? Is Minoxidil unrelated to my condition and am I being a hypochondriac?

If any more information is need, please advise. Thank You

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
don't use 1.5 ml.
I am a NW5, I don't need more than 1.5 ml max.
There is no need to soak your head with minoxidil. using the minoxidil to get the thinnest possible coating is the key. don't overdo it.

I suggest using 0.5 ml once a day (on a dry scalp) and then upping it to 1 ml twice a day.

doggfather

Established Member
Reaction score
I also had a question about weird chest sensations and the feeling of an accelerated heart rate when using Minoxidil. I tried to use Minoxidil for the 1st time about a week ago (standard 1ml application on a dry scalp) and I just feel like my heart rate is faster and feel some chest irritation. Plus, I feel somewhat out of it or a little dizzy. Is it normal to initially get this side effect where it will eventually wear off with continual use? Or should I just not start using it? Short of a transplant (I've been on propecia for 8 months), I feel like it's the only thing that will help my receding widows peak out. Please help!

ShedMaster

Reaction score
techprof said:
don't use 1.5 ml.
I am a NW5, I don't need more than 1.5 ml max.
There is no need to soak your head with minoxidil. using the minoxidil to get the thinnest possible coating is the key. don't overdo it.

I suggest using 0.5 ml once a day (on a dry scalp) and then upping it to 1 ml twice a day.

Agreed.

fast times

Reaction score
Your not alone . I am experiencing the same symptoms. I clearly overdid my applications , sometimes 4 or 5 ml a day , wet or dry. I am seeing my Doctor this week but I'm sure this is why my heart pounds and I'm light headed. Just hope it goes away, I was using minoxidil for 6-7 months and then bang all the troubles. I've been off just a week or so and there has been no change, I'm worried.

monkeypants

Reaction score
I was having chest / heart pain when using 5% minoxidil, I switched to 2% and use about 0.8ml instead of the 1.0ml suggested, much better now and I even think I'm seeing more hair :)

fast times

Reaction score
Talked to my Doctor yesterday. He say's I havent damaged my heart its the effects of vasodilaters (minoxidil). It should get better he also said. I could take a drug to counter the palpatations, I said no thanks.

Retrovintage

Reaction score
I used generic topical minoxidil for 1 month. I stopped use due to huge white flakes on my scalp, in my hair and on my clothes. Plus it took forever to dry.

I switched to Rogaine mousse. I stopped because I couldn't get it to penetrate near to the root of the hair. It just clogged and 'styled' my hair, leaving my scalp dry.

I switched to Spectral DNC from DS Laboratories. It is a 5% minoxidil lotion. At first I was very happy with this more expensive product. No smell, quick drying. I used it for 5 months or so, 1 ml before going to bed. I am quite sure this slowed / stopped my hair falling out. Not sure if any new hairs were coming through though. This product claims to penetrate deeper than other products on the market.

After 5 months, I stopped using it for one week, because I had to travel with work. Directly after the work trip, I used it once.
The next day, around 20 hours after applying the product, I started to have breathing problems and chest pain. The pain got so bad, after 2-3 hours I had to call an ambulance. The pain stopped suddenly before the ambulance arrived. They performed a cardiogram (ECG). They found no signs of heart trouble and left.

My doctor did not think it was a side effect of minoxidil. He prescribed me the minoxidil...so could he have been protecting himself ? He decided it was indegestion. I am in no way an idiot and would NEVER call an ambulance if I thought there was a chance it was indegestion. The pain was an extremely intense cramping, in line half way between the my nipples. Exactly how one would imagine a heart attack.

So I stopped using the product for 3 weeks.

After 3 weeks, I tried once more to use the product. I used 0.5ml. Around 15 hours later I had mild chest pains. This was not ideal, it was Christmas day and I was unable to relax with my family. I vowed never to use minoxidil again. Nothing is worth damaging your heart. Nothing.

Tom1985

Established Member
Reaction score
The first time I tried Rogaine I nearly passed out! No joke.

Now I'm using the 5% Kirkland sh*t and I definately feel my heart speed up for about 5 minutes after applying it, each and every time.

That's the only side-effect so far though so I'm gonna keep using it.

I just hope it doesn't give me a heart attack when I'm using it in my 40s or 50s!

OhioGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been experiencing some heart palpitations recently while on the big 3. Ive been using too much 5% minoxidil foam lately on a wet scalp. Im gonna go back to the suggested amount on a dry scalp. Hopefully that will do the trick. I'll let you guys know. Finfighter I appreciate all your input. You do have me a little worried but I dont feel my symptoms are as aggressive as yours. Just some minor fluttering of the heart. I can still lift weights and play basketball with no problems. Did yours start out slow and progressively get worse or were they bad from the start?

OhioGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I was using way too much foam twice a day. I have lowered my doses. I will keep an eye on it. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Machiavelli

Reaction score
I have been wondering the same, as far as I know the only study that looked into minoxidil's effect on the heart is:

Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1988 Oct;26(4):481-5.
"Topical minoxidil: cardiac effects in bald man." Leenen FH, Smith DL, Unger WP.
Department of Medicine, Toronto Western Hospital, Ontario, Canada.

Systemic cardiovascular effects during chronic treatment with topical minoxidil vs placebo were evaluated using a double-blind, randomized design for two parallel groups (n = 20 for minoxidil, n = 15 for placebo). During 6 months of follow-up, blood pressure did not change, whereas minoxidil increased heart rate by 3-5 beats min-1. Compared with placebo, topical minoxidil caused significant increases in LV end-diastolic volume, in cardiac output (by 0.751 min-1) and in LV mass (by 5 g m-2). We conclude that in healthy subjects short-term use of topical minoxidil is likely not to be detrimental. However, safety needs to be established regarding ischaemic symptoms in patients with coronary artery disease as well as for the possible development of LV hypertrophy in healthy subjects during years of therapy.

(as earlier cited by FInfighter); what I really wonder is that given the conclusion of this study, you'd expect follow up research... but so far, I have not come across a study confirming/rejecting the conclusion on this study. Given that minoxidil has been on the market as an OTC drug, you'd expect is thorougly tested and safe...

I consider doing my own experiment, monitoring my morning rest rate and bloodpressure for a week on minoxidil and a week without. Are there other parameters to monitor (the cited study states that blood pressure did NOT change?!)?

Rabid

Established Member
Reaction score
... Compared with placebo, topical minoxidil caused significant increases in LV end-diastolic volume, in cardiac output (by 0.751 min-1) and in LV mass (by 5 g m-2).

Therefore, the most obvious conclusion is... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

We conclude that in healthy subjects short-term use of topical minoxidil is likely not to be detrimental...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: LMFAO

Notice the strategic attempt at sneaky wording. No, it's not safe. You could really mess up your heart and end up in the hospital. But you likely will not immediately die. :fun:
And luckily they assure us that it's ok to use "short-term" because as we all know rogaine is NOT, and I repeat, NOT intended for "long-term" use, lol.

Machiavelli said:
you'd expect is thorougly tested and safe

Not if Upjohn has anything to do with it, and of cour$$$$$$$e they do. That wasn't a typo, BTW. Who funded most of the studies? Who's richer, Journal of Pharm. or Big Pharm?

Machiavelli said:
I consider doing my own experiment, monitoring my morning rest rate and bloodpressure for a week on minoxidil and a week without. Are there other parameters to monitor (the cited study states that blood pressure did NOT change?!)?

Just be sure you do the week off minoxidil BEFORE the week on. The effects continue well after the drug leaves your system. Blood pressure wouldn't necessarily be expected to change in healthy people. That makes the study even more scary if the people who developed these heart problems were completely healthy prior to minoxidil. Anyways, your body wants to maintain a healthy blood pressure, so if you start retaining water your heart rate will naturally go up to prevent it from falling. If BP is high to begin with, than topical minoxidil might lower it. I would guess people with very low BP to begin with probably are at greatest risk for the side effects. :punk:

Machiavelli

Reaction score
Yes, the main study on minoxidil is found was indeed done by Upjohn-- a commercial testing center. Still, with this drug being on the market for more than 2 decades, you'd expect a significant amount of horror stories if it indeed would mess up your heart?

And, aren't there are other independent research centeres/scientists that would have fought the drug?

I mean finasteride is heavily critized by many groups/individuals, while I cannot find similar critism for minoxidil.3

Machiavelli

Reaction score
Rabid said:
Notice the strategic attempt at sneaky wording. No, it's not safe. You could really mess up your heart and end up in the hospital. But you likely will not immediately die. :fun:
And luckily they assure us that it's ok to use "short-term" because as we all know rogaine is NOT, and I repeat, NOT intended for "long-term" use, lol.

Yes, in fact my bottle of Rogaine states that "using it more often" will give better results! That's simply a dangerous claim to put on a bottle of minoxidil.... I wouldn't be surprised if people would be overdosing themselves because of that statement.

T

Timi

Studie :puke:

my last minoxidil attempt ended in the hospital
face swelling-Hands swelling-feet swelling
Lips swellig-Blood runs out from my Nose
Lungs swelling-i become no air in my Lungs -Heart racing
diarrhea -vomiting
severe breathing problems

i become 250mg kortison
and Betablocker

the Manufactor lie that a little minoxidil goes into the blood

Timi

Krangstein

Reaction score
Timi said:

diarrhea -vomiting

i become 250mg kortison
and Betablocker

Timi
timi, just because minoxidil didn't work for you, doesn't mean it's bad for everyone. minoxidil has worked wonders for me, with no side effects.

Rabid

Established Member
Reaction score
Krangstein, thanks for sharing your experience with Rogaine. Timi was also simply sharing HIS experience, so why the need to criticize? His experience is just as valid as yours, perhaps more valid as we are in the "Dealing with Side Effects" section.

Continued use is necessary to increase and keep your hair regrowth, or hair loss will begin again."

...clearly printed on every box of Rogaine.

T

Timi

Krangstein said:
Timi said:

diarrhea -vomiting

i become 250mg kortison
and Betablocker

Timi
timi, just because minoxidil didn't work for you, doesn't mean it's bad for everyone. minoxidil has worked wonders for me, with no side effects.

maybe

i hope i found a way to get better Hairs
the Heart racing is to heavy

Machiavelli

Reaction score
I am coming to the conclusion that minoxidil indeed does have a cardiovascular effect. During training I notice that I do feel a sensation in my chest and that my heart does seem to behave "differently"; for some weeks I have looked for other explanations (such as cold weather making it harder to breathe, a cold, etc) but I simply cannot no longer ignore this. First I will significantly decrease my dosages (to probably 2 x 0.25ml 5%) and hope my situation improves, if not I will have to quit minoxidil (something I highly regret).

I may be more sensitive to fysical changes as an athlete, but I would warn anybody to be careful with minoxidil as:
1. study shows that significant cardiovasuclar effects occur during short-term usage
2. there is no study present that confirms that long-term usage is safe
3. my personal experiences

Concluding, this SUCKS! I cannot use fina (testicular cancer survivor, simply cannot risk using fina) and minoxidil seems to be giving me sides too. My hope is now that ASC-J9 will work for me, and otherwise CB 03 01; otherwise I am doomed...... if anyone has other advice on what to use, please let me know!