Changing Propecia dosage, more effective???

LeonPhelps07

Reaction score
Hi

I was just wondering if anyone has tryed using propecia at lower dosages? I heard if you were to use only 0.25mg(1/4 of a pill) instead of 1mg(whole pill) there arn't any sides effects and it is still very effective. Is this true?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
There is a study that claims similar effectiveness even down to (i believe) 0.2mg ... but personal experience and the experience of those on here has shown that a lot of people do not continue to see the results they saw at 1mg when they lower dosage.

This would be a decision you need to make, and if you do, give it 6 to 12 months to evaluate the results ... not just a few weeks.

Moving this thread to the Propecia forum...

HairLossTalk.com

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Im not sure you can break it down like that. It isn't like 0.1mg to 0.5mg equals maintenance and 0.5mg to 1.0mg equals regrowth.

HairLossTalk.com

biff

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm currently taking 0.25mg a day. I have only been on it since August 3rd so it's a little early to tell if it's working. I first started on 0.5mg - which I took for a few days - but I had a loss of libido and a permanent ache in my balls. I have had no noticeable sides on 0.25mg. I am hoping that 0.25mg will work for me seeing that I got sides on just 0.5mg.

SE-freak

Reaction score
The fact that one does not get sides, means he has reduced chances of success? or is this irrelevant?

biff

Established Member
Reaction score
I wasn't prepared to take the sides and try and ride it out. I am not prepared to take a constant ache in my balls and loss of libido even if it might go away after a few weeks. I just didn't want to do that to myself. I have therefore gone with a dose that doesn't give me any sides. I think Merck might have gone with the 1mg dose as this is the amount that works for most people without them getting sides. However, we all have different hormone levels and perhaps people who get sides on lower doses don't need to take as much for it to work?

Anyway, I will let you know how I get on with a low dose after I have been on it for a while. It has only been just under two months so far and I still have hairs falling out but no major sheds as yet.

LeonPhelps07

Reaction score
I think a low does like .25mg would be effective tho if you are just starting to lose your hair. Trying to maintainwhat you have.