cedarwood oil test notice...............

michael barry

Reaction score
Ive got some in the mail and will be applying it to my beard.

Cedarwood is the "first" essential oil used in baldness remedies. I think its probably an anti-androgen topically. It will take about three months, but I'll let my friends here know if it workds at that time. I put some on a few minutes ago.

Whats nice about testing cedarwood oil in particular is that we KNOW it isn't in any way bad for hair because its been used in a Scottish Alopecia Areata study and they regrew very signifigant amounts of hair in using it. There is no possiblility that it might be both anti-androgenic but also suppressive of hair growth as men have had very increased hairgrowth in testing with it for alopecia areata. If it were bad for hair...............they would not have had this. The best regrowth photo Ive ever seen was an alopecia areata patient who used cedarwood, thyme, rosemary, and lavendar. I'll report back whether I have an anti-androgenic result or no result at all.

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks, greatly appreciated Michael. :)

IBM

Reaction score
I use a lot of cedar oil on my rot flaking skin fight regime. I use Alpha Cade shampoo and use in crisis situation Betacade. Both the active ingridient is cedar.

Yogi

Reaction score
I've got some oil coming too. I bought some a while back but it was from the wrong species, although it stated it was cedarwood it was from Juniperus virginiana instead of Cedrus atlantica. :(

I'm hoping it will help my excess sebum and sebum plug problem, but hair regrowth would be a nice bonus! I've tried so many things to stop my hair getting so greasy so quickly.

I will be adding a few drops to my shampoo.

Thanks Michael, for all your research, the fact that the patent is there and from such a big company gives me hope.

michael barry

Reaction score
This is how its went for me:

I started putting the oil on the left side of my chin close to three months back. After a couple of weeks, I noticed the chin was "dryer", indicative of less sebum being secreted than the other side.

When I read about the lavender/tea tree androgen receptor binding experiment, I decided to add lavender to my cedarwood. I mixed them with ethanol and mixed them up, and diluted the solution with purified water. This was about a month and a half in.

The results are that there is certainly less hairs in anagen on the left side of my chin than the right, but the size of the hairs in anagen are about the same. The left side is certainly dyer. The right side also seems, upon close inspection, a little 'drawn inwards'. The color of the left side is less "3 o'clock" shadowy than the right and more like the cheek area. I suspect the size of the sebaceous glands in the area, as with ketoconazole, have shrunk a bit. I intend to keep the experiment going for a while to see if the effect gets much greater in the coming month or two. The real "amping up" of the lessening amount of hairs in anagen didn't occur until I started adding the lavender to the mix, so I cannot say for certain its the cedarwood alone having the effect on the hair........................but I can certainly assert that cedarwood alone helped that side of my chin to make less sebum.
I must make mention that the reduction in hair certainly is not as much as the peppermint oil/water combo that I had used earlier on the other side of my chin many months back......................but Im nervous about peppermint being bad for hair period like licorice appears to be.

Green tea: Ive used this on the right jawline. It has reduced the amount of sebum present there................but the effect on hair is very very weak. The hair "feels" a little weaker, but there is no discernable difference visually like with the cedarwood/lavender combo as far as less hairs being in anagen or the hairs being physically smaller. I have some fluridil coming in the mail, and intend to start applying it to the same area to see if there will be an effect on this jawline.

ygrec

Reaction score
Thanks. That's a valuable experiment. :bravo:
Kinda makes sense that lavender should be more effective. Many essential oils (including lavender, cedarwood and specially tea tree) have a drying effect on skin and reduce sebum production, but I don't think it automatically means they also block DHT or androgen receptors. Lavender and tea tree oils were found to have some estrogenic effect in pre-puberty boys, but again the question is do they have the same effect on adult guys. I do know that lavender and rosemary (also green nettle) are considered good for hair in folk medicine, but there's only anecdotal evidence of their effectiveness.
I was just about to add topical GTE to my regimen, but having second thoughts now, after your observation. :dunno: