Can excess sebum cause your hair to shed more?

Autumn Sundown

Established Member
Reaction score
Over the past few years I've been through phases where I masturbated three times a day, and phases where I only masturbated about 1 or 2 times a week. I noticed that if I went a while where I was masturbating 2 or 3 times a day, my hair would shed in incredible amounts. I would notice myself losing about 20 hairs an hour. During the times I ony masturbated 1 or 2 times a week I never noticed any hair fall and could run my fingers through my hair as roughly as I wanted to and rarely get any out.

I noticed this because I read that masturbation can cause fatigue if you do it too much, so I cut it down to only a few times a week. In addition to having more energy and noticing a Huge reduction in acne (which was a pleasent surprise) I also noticed my hair wasn't shedding anymore. I spent years trying to stop this awful shedding, I was so sick of catching 5 or 6 hairs on my plate every time I sat down to eat and I ended up curing it accidentally.

I know masturbation can put more sebum in your hair, so can an excess of sebum cause your hair to shed more? I'm trying to figure out why not masturbating sparked such a dramatic change. I'm not balding yet, or if I am, it's in very early stages so I'm not sure if it's connected with male pattern baldness or just how strongly rooted the hairs are in my scalp.

Can someone help explain this?

I should probably note that when my hair was shedding a lot, most of it came from the temples and crown.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
In a normal functioning body, masturbation has no major effect on hair loss or sebum production. Weirdo.

Autumn Sundown

Established Member
Reaction score
Brains Expel Hair said:
In a normal functioning body, masturbation has no major effect on hair loss or sebum production. Weirdo.

I don't know about that. There's a very, very noticable difference in the amount of hair I shed when I limit my masturbation. I don't think I lose any of the short, thin hairs people talk about, so I think they all grow back.

I'm wondering if maybe it's caused by excess sebum or something. I do notice my hair falls out easier if it's oily, but I'm not 100% sure that's the answer.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
You missed my point.

In a normal functioning body, masturbation has no effect on hair loss or sebum production.

Autumn Sundown

Established Member
Reaction score
Brains Expel Hair said:
You missed my point.

In a normal functioning body, masturbation has no effect on hair loss or sebum production.

So is there something strange about my body? I've read about other people witnessing the same thing so maybe it effects some people more dramatically than others.
I'm not trying to convince anyone that masturbation effects hairloss, I don't even think I'm losing my hair yet. But it has very noticably effected the amount of hair I shed on a daily basis. Since a lot of people on this site know more about hair and hormones than I do, I was hoping to find a few suggestions as to why this happens.
It's a welcomed change, I'm just a little curious about it.

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to ignore the masturbation part, because they're no real evidence that masturbation can cause hair loss.

But... I have noticed when my hair gets greasy I shed TONS more then I would if my hair isn't greasy.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
If you're only experiencing male pattern baldness then technically, the research currently says that masturbation has no long term effect on hair loss. However there are other sorts of hormonal imbalances and stressors inside your body that can cause you to be more driven to masturbate and in such a case it's theoretically possible that your masturbation could either just be coinciding with unfavorable periods of balance in your body that is aggravating your hair loss or that excessive masturbation could be making those changes worse.

Alternatively it's also very probable (especially from the vantage point of someone reading on these boards) that you decided to ease up on masturbation at around the same time one of your other forms of hair treatments' delayed effect was kicking in.

There are a lot of other factors which often times we don't include in the end result that can be the more realistic cause. According to the literature though, if masturbation did cause any sort of hair loss, it would be related to the actual sexual arousal and not the act of ejaculating. Meaning if you wanted to have an effect (which you shouldn't need if you're only experiencing male pattern baldness and your systems not completely out of whack for some other, most likely treatable condition) you'd have to refrain completely from a) getting an erection b) thinking sexually about people c) seeing people d) smelling people e) hearing people's voices. If you're doing all of that, what's the point in trying to keep your hair.

As far as sebum goes (unrelated to masturbation as well) abnormal increases in sebum production can cause overgrowth of certain types of yeasts that can cause all sorts of inflammation, acne and skin/hair damage. Use Nizoral for this.