Can ANYONE give me hope?! (positive update 6.2.07) page .7

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok 5 months complted on proscar now. first 3 months were great and then it all went wrong and now the whole top of my head is thinning so badly, hairs dropping everywhere. I now have no hairline as it has diffused so badly whereas only 2 months ago it was strong line. Now the first hairs are 2 cm back from where they were and my temples are non existant. My hairline is now such that I look like Frankensteins monster with this f*****g forehead! can ANYONE please tell me they've been in a similar situation and recovered the hairline as I need some hope, ANY hope.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
Shedding like this is covered in many previous posts, it means you are likely to go through a regrowth phase. Hard to put up with though, and it really depends on many factors. A lot of people give up in these circumstances. You need a healthy diet as well. Have you examined your whole lifestyle?

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So hard to deal with though! argh, has anyone else lost their hairline on a shed and then recovered it though?! :hairy:

calgary2800

Reaction score
JDW said:
So hard to deal with though! argh, has anyone else lost their hairline on a shed and then recovered it though?! :hairy:

The only shed and recover success story I have is with Rogain and my left temple. I'm on finasteride, its been 2 months and the shed has started.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
argh! just looked in the mirror at the top of the head and I now have a large bald spot where there was only a small one weeks ago :freaked2:

RP

Established Member
Reaction score
has anyone else lost their hairline on a shed and then recovered it though?

I did. My hairline lost maybe half of its density. Now it has improved back to the baseline. Also my crown wich lost a lot is back to normal. It`s now almost six months since I started finasteride.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
you give me hope my friend! Do you have any photos as I'd be interested to see what your hair type is to see if it's similar to mine.

RP

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you have any photos as I'd be interested to see what your hair type is to see if it's similar to mine.

Sure, check my thread under this same shedding section. I´m actually thinking about asking it to be moved to succes stories :wink: . I haven´t grown much "new" hair, but I have recovered from my nasty shed and I´m back to my baseline which was last May. And maintaining was my goal in the first place.

My worst shedding happend approximately 10-12 weeks since I started finasteride. So maybe you have just experienced the same.

G

I am actually regrowing new vellus(light thin hairs) on my temples, and I am regrowing thick terminal hairs on my hairline, about a quarter inch below the current location of it. Avodart is doing wonders for my hairline and not destroying it at all. And I've only been on it for 2 and a half months. So , that should tell you a lot. I'm not using minoxidil either so I attribute the regrowth to the Avodart.

LLCME

Reaction score
Second Round with Propecia -- Still Terrible

I gave Propecia a try about 18 months ago. Quit after 6 months because of very excessive shedding. Shedding began in month 2, got progressively worse. After I quit, hair loss slowed but months later began again.

So now I'm back on Propecia. Again 6-7 months in. Again the shedding is awful. From most of what I've read, the shedding should have stopped by now.

Has anyone else experienced shedding this far in and had it stop? Is 7 months far too long to have this happen?

I know I'm supposed to ride out the shed, but it's been going on for 2-3 months and hair is falling out liike mad.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
ok guys, i'm in real state about what to do here... if I keep going like this I will have lost all my frontal hair and thinned out completely on top in like a month and a half...

will post pics tommorrow. No idea what to do at all, should I keep going ith the pills and hope it all grows back. Really doesn't seem likely.

:(

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
JayMan said:
I am actually regrowing new vellus(light thin hairs) on my temples, and I am regrowing thick terminal hairs on my hairline, about a quarter inch below the current location of it. Avodart is doing wonders for my hairline and not destroying it at all. And I've only been on it for 2 and a half months. So , that should tell you a lot. I'm not using minoxidil either so I attribute the regrowth to the Avodart.

What made you make the leap to avodart JayMan and how much of your success do you attribute to the cocaine in your regime?! ;)

blandflabbis

Reaction score
Here's some hope - a great many people contend that this shedding-Propecia link is actually a myth. Hair loss is not generally determined by the amount of hairs that fall out (unless it's due to conditions such as an allergic reaction or hair loss through stress etc) and hair growth cycles fluctuate such that for any person there will be periods where more hair falls out than at other times. You can conceive of it as something like all of the follicles on your head are either active or inactive (obviously it works in degrees but for the purpose of making the point you can describe it this way), whether each follicle actually has a couple inches long hair coming out of it or not is not the issue where baldness is concerned as this fluctuates completely naturally, at some times more will have hairs than others. What matters is the amount of active follicles you possess on your head as this determines the long term situation with your hair.

As for whether Propecia actually affects hair cycles that's more controversial, I know the theory is presented as fact on this forum but it's actually highly contentious that Propecia increases the amount of hair falling out shortly after a person begins using it.

barnabas

Established Member
Reaction score
blandflabbis said:
Here's some hope - a great many people contend that this shedding-Propecia link is actually a myth. Hair loss is not generally determined by the amount of hairs that fall out (unless it's due to conditions such as an allergic reaction or hair loss through stress etc) and hair growth cycles fluctuate such that for any person there will be periods where more hair falls out than at other times. You can conceive of it as something like all of the follicles on your head are either active or inactive (obviously it works in degrees but for the purpose of making the point you can describe it this way), whether each follicle actually has a couple inches long hair coming out of it or not is not the issue where baldness is concerned as this fluctuates completely naturally, at some times more will have hairs than others. What matters is the amount of active follicles you possess on your head as this determines the long term situation with your hair.

As for whether Propecia actually affects hair cycles that's more controversial, I know the theory is presented as fact on this forum but it's actually highly contentious that Propecia increases the amount of hair falling out shortly after a person begins using it.

What sort of hope is that? That his hair will NOT come back?

blandflabbis

Reaction score
Well it's reason to believe that Propecia isn't causing your hair to fall out, that in fact you're not in a worse position in reality now than you were before you started (even if it looks terrible). The main cause of panic here seems to be that Propecia is seen as causing people to lose all of their hair and then it may never come back, it doesn't do this in my opinion, it either helps or it does nothing, therefore the fact that your hair appears worse now doesn't mean it won't return. It's not "I might win the lottery" kind of hope, but it's something.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
barnabas said:

Barnabas what's your update. 2 months on and I'm still shedding. Well, when I say shedding, 5 mins ago I put my hand through the front of my hairline 4 times and came away with 8 hairs with no effort... yikes.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
blandflabbis said:
Well it's reason to believe that Propecia isn't causing your hair to fall out, that in fact you're not in a worse position in reality now than you were before you started (even if it looks terrible). The main cause of panic here seems to be that Propecia is seen as causing people to lose all of their hair and then it may never come back, it doesn't do this in my opinion, it either helps or it does nothing, therefore the fact that your hair appears worse now doesn't mean it won't return. It's not "I might win the lottery" kind of hope, but it's something.

I just know that this hair which comes out won't grow back. Has anyone else
had a two month shed?!

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
These bastards that are coming out are thick hairs as well... ARGH!

barnabas

Established Member
Reaction score
JDW said:
barnabas said:

Barnabas what's your update. 2 months on and I'm still shedding. Well, when I say shedding, 5 mins ago I put my hand through the front of my hairline 4 times and came away with 8 hairs with no effort... yikes.

I dunno. I think it's slowed, but I'm not 100% sure cause it was never flying out, it was just getting visibly worse and coming out slightly faster than normal. My scalp keeps acting up bigtime so I've been throwing nizoral into the mix again, which always makes my hair look like crap, so I really can't tell right now. I just don't think it's getting much worse, but I don't want to lift my hairline up and examine it cause I'd probably get depressed ;_;