Buffboy's Story

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I'm 23 and first experienced hair loss in my late teens. I have very "high" temples, and since I turned 20, the front has also been thinning.

When I was 21 I decided to shave all my hair off - Bruce Willis style. Actually I grew in confidence, because it turned out that the new look really looked good on me. Started to get many compliments from girls etc. It requires a nice round shape of the head and a brown skin (solarium is the key).

After about a year I began to get depressed again, because I no longer thought it was great being bald. I'm studying law and is afraid that it will limit my future job options being bald.

So when I was 22 i began on Propecia, took a short break that lasted for a couple of weeks after 3 months, but have taken it continuely since then. I have been on Propecia for a year and a couple of months, and I really dont see any positive change. My front is still thin, and for the last couple of months I think that even my mid scalp is beginning to thin as well. I am really afraid, because the hair on my mid scalp used to be thick.

I have read about shedding, but also read that shedding occurs after a couple of months and not after a year! I should be able to see new hairs coming out instead of seeing them falling off.

Nevertheless, I have booked an appointment for a hair transplantation because I still hope that Propecia will work in the future. My hope is that I can restore my frontal hairline with the transplantation and then keep the hair in crown and mid scalp section using Propecia.

But I am not as excited right now, I am beginning to loose my patience with Propecia and starting to think the whole transplantation-thing is a stupid idea. Because if Propecia doesn't work, then the money used on the transplantation will spilled.

Anyone who can help me with some piece of advice?

Love

The Dane

foo2

Reaction score
Hi there mate,

It's rare for people to have noticably worse hair 13-18 months on after a course of propecia, so you're unlucky there...if propecia is doing nothing for you remember there are other non-surgical options. You could switch to the DHT inhibitor Dutasteride, or add topical DHT inhibitors, this might prevent further loss, as it will inhibit even more DHT production than Propecia, there are also all sorts of growth stimulants and scalp conditioners that are recommended on this site, i've not tried them myself, so i can't recommend what to go for.

i wish you the best of luck...

Whammy

Reaction score
ok well, since you want advice I'll give you the best advice you've ever been given. You say you have a nice round head and brown skin, and girls give you compliments? What's the problem man?

I would say most people on here don't shave their heads because they feel they look silly. They're probably right, some don't look good. But if you look good, and you've lost most of your hair already and you're not seeing any results, imo you should just accept being bald. Hair Transplant, man that's crazy talk. Don't worry about your job prospects, seriously that's silly. You want to improve your appearance? Join a gym and bulk up. You'll look confident, fit, and attractive. You'll remind girls of Vin Diesel. Or you can look like a guy with a poor hair on top, and be self conscious about it all the time. Up to you.

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
You are misunderstanding me. The hair loss is not noticable. I'm not even sure its just my imagination. When I stand and look in the mirror it sometimes looks like that the mid scalp is thinning but at other times in a different light it looks perfectly normal. Its only the front that definitely has got worse. But for the last six months or so, there have been these small black hairs in my temple area, but they are not growing that much.

How much does Dutasteride cost and where do I buy it?

foo2

Reaction score
buffyboy, have a look in the forums, or search for Dutasteride, it's also known as Avodart.

It reduces DHT levels even lower than Propecia, but with a slightly increased risk of side effects.

Anyways, look around to see where to buy it.....you see i still use Propecia.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Buff boy,

I had a simmilar experience with propecia and found that my hair was getting worse. What i did was to add minoxidil to my regime and i feel this helped. Sometimes hair loss can be down to more than one factor, and maybe propecia, in your case is not enough. Thre is also spironolactone which you could check out.

P.S it may be useful to grow your hair out abit to see what it looks like longer?

8)