Bruce Lee's workout routine.

muaythai187

Established Member
Reaction score
I always wondered how bruce lee got his pure muscle physique. Well here it is if anybody wants to know.

Bruce Lee's "Lethal Physique" Bodybuilding Program
(performed on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays)

Exercise Sets Repetitions
Clean & Press 2 8
Squats 2 12
Pullovers 2 8
Bench Presses 2 6
Good Mornings 2 8
Barbell Curls 2 8

The Breakdown of the Routine:

1.) Clean & Press: Lee would begin this movement by taking a shoulder-width grip on an Olympic barbell. Bending his knees, he would squat down in front of the resistance and, with a quick snap of his arms and a thrust from his legs, clean the barbell to his chest and stand up. After a brief pause, Lee would then thrust the barbell to arms length overhead, pause briefly, and then lower the barbell back to the top of his chest. After another brief pause, he would lower the barbell back to the floor (the starting position). With absolutely no rest, Lee would then initiate his second repetition of the movement and continue to do so until he had completed eight repetitions. After a very brief rest, so as to take full advantage of the cardio-respiratory benefits as well as the strength-building benefits, Lee would perform a second -- and final -- set.

2.) Squats: This staple of bodybuilding movements was the cornerstone of Bruce Lee's barbell training. He had dozens of articles that he'd clipped out on the mechanics and benefits of squats and he practiced many variations of this exercise. In his routine, however, he performed the exercise in the standard fashion. Resting a barbell across his shoulders, Lee would place his feet approximately shoulder-width apart. Making sure that he was properly balanced, Lee would slowly ascend to a full squat position. With absolutely zero pause in the bottom position, Lee would then immediately return -- using the strength of his hips, glutes, hamstrings, calves and quadriceps -- to the starting position, whereupon he would commence rep number two. Lee would perform 12 repetitions in this movement and, after a short breather, return and re-shoulder the barbell for one more set of 12 reps.

3.) Pullovers: Although there exists no physical evidence that Bruce Lee supersetted barbell pullovers with squats, there is reason to believe that this was case -- if only for the fact that such was the method advocated in the articles he read. Squats were considered a great "overall" muscle builder, whereas pullovers were simply considered a "rib box expander" or "breathing exercise." Consequently, the fashion of incorporating pullovers in the late 1960s and early 1970s was as a "finishing" movement for squats. This being the case, Lee would perform the movement in the standard fashion; i.e., by lying down on his back upon a flat bench and taking a shoulder-width grip on a barbell that he would then proceed to press out to full extension above his chest. From this position, Lee would lower the barbell -- making sure to keep a slight bend in his elbows so as not to strain the elbow joint -- behind his head until it touched the floor ever so slightly and provided a comfortable stretch to his lats. From this fully-extended position, Lee would then slowly reverse the motion through the contraction of his lats, pecs and long-head of the triceps. He would repeat this movement for two sets of eight repetitions.

4.) Bench Presses: Bruce Lee was able to develop an incredible chest musculature. His upper pecs were particularly impressive, bunching and splitting into thousands of fibrous bands. And, as far as his personal training records indicate, the only direct barbell movement he performed to develop his chest was the good old fashioned bench press. Lying down upon a flat bench, and again taking a shoulder-width grip on an Olympic barbell, Lee would press the weight off the support pins to arms length above his chest. From this locked-out position, Lee would then lower the barbell to his chest and, exhaling, press it back up to the fully-locked out (or starting) position. He would repeat this movement for six repetitions and then, after a brief respite, return to the bench for one more set of six reps.

5.) Good Mornings: A word of caution about this exercise. Lee performed this movement to strengthen his lower back. However, one day in early 1970 he loaded up the bar with 135 pounds (his bodyweight at the time) and -- without a warm up -- proceeded to knock off eight repetitions. On his last rep he felt a "pop" and found out later that he had damaged the fourth sacral nerve of his lower back. The result was the Lee had to endure incredible back pain for the remainder of his life. This is not to say that the movement is without merit, just make sure that you perform an adequate warm-up prior to employing, it. Placing a barbell across his shoulders, Lee would place his feet three inches apart (Lee would later confide to Dan Inosanto "You really don't need any weight but the empty bar on your shoulders Dan -- it's more of a limbering movement") and bend over from the waist keeping his hands on the barbell at all times. Lee would bend over until his back was at a 90 degree angle to his hips and then return to the upright position. Lee performed two sets of eight repetitions of this movement.

6.) Barbell Curls: Bruce Lee performed barbell curls not only in his garage gym on Roscomare Avenue in Bel Air, but also in his studio office in Hong Kong. They were a staple or "core" movement in his weight training routine and were also responsible for building a very impressive pair of biceps on Lee -- not to mention incredible pulling power, which he used to such good effect in all of his sparring sessions! To perform this movement properly, Lee would take a comfortable shoulder-width grip on the barbell with his palms facing forwards. Keeping a slight bend in his knees for stabilization purposes, Lee would then contract his biceps and curl the barbell up to a point level with his upper pecs. Pausing briefly in this fully-contracted position, Lee would then slowly lower the barbell back to the starting position. Two sets of eight repetitions of this movement would typically wrap up Lee's bodybuilding routine.

Get Mentzer's
Latest Book
Muscles in Minutes

Going Beyond "Routine"

According to Inosanto, Lee didn't just train with the above listed exercises. He would also incorporate weight training into his martial art workouts. "Bruce would always shadow box with small weights in his hands and he'd do a drill in which he'd punch for 12 series in a row, 100 punches per series, using a pyramid system of 1,2,3,5,7 and 10-pound weights -- and then he'd reverse the pyramid and go 10, 7, 5, 3, 2, 1 and finally "zero" weight. He had me do this drill with him and -- Man! -- what a burn you'd get in your delts and arms!"

It didn't stop there however. When Lee wasn't training with weights in his martial art workouts or during one of his three designated whole-body training sessions, he could be found curling a dumbbell in the office in his house. "He was always using that dumbbell," recalls Linda in looking back on her husband's training habits. "Bruce had the unique ability to be able to several things at once. It wasn't all unusual for me to find him watching a boxing match on TV, simultaneously performing a full side splits, while reading a book in one hand and pumping a dumbbell in the other."

Incredible Abs

By far the most impressive of all of Lee's bodyparts was his abdominal muscles, which he trained daily. "Bruce always felt that if your stomach wasn't developed, then you had no business sparring," recalls Wong. "He was a fanatic about abdominal training," concurs Linda, "he was always doing sit-ups, crunches, Roman Chair movements, Leg Raises and V-ups." Chuck Norris has gone on record recalling the time that he went to visit the Lee family and seeing Bruce lying on the living room floor bouncing his son Brandon on his abdomen while simultaneously performing dumbbell flyes for his pecs and leg raises for his abs - and watching television to boot!

Forearms of Steel

In order to improve his gripping and punching power, Lee became an avid devotee of forearm training, While many champion bodybuilders shy away from direct forearm training, Lee made it a point to train his forearms daily. "He was a forearm fanatic," laughs Linda in retrospect. "If ever any bodybuilder -- such as Bill Pearl -- came out with a forearm course, Bruce would have to get it." Bruce even commissioned an old friend of his from San Francisco, George Lee (no relation) to build him several "Gripping machines" to which Lee would add weight for additional resistance. "He used to send me all of these designs for exercise equipment," recalls George Lee, "and I'd build them according to his specs. However, I wasn't altogether foolish," he says with a laugh, "I knew that if Bruce was going to use it, it must be effective, so I'd build one to send to him and another for me to use at home!"

Allen Joe recalls that Lee had a favorite dumbbell exercise that he used to train his forearms with constantly: "Bruce was always working on his forearms. He'd pick up a weight and go to the edge of the sofa and start doing wrist curls while he was watching TV. Then he'd do his abdominal work -- and then he'd return to his forearm training. The dumbbell curl he liked best was a Zottman curl, where you would curl the weight up one side of your body and then you twist it and bring it down on the other side. He'd do that all the time!"

G

I always wanted to know that as well but It seems like a simple workout. haha

CCS

Reaction score
shaolinmonk said:

did you read the whole article? I thought his workout was easy until I read all the stuff he does outside the weight room. He is hard core.

MrSuccessful

Reaction score
shaolinmonk said:

I've learned sticking to the basic bread & butter exercises and focusing on form has done wonders for myself.

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
It looked like he was at his best when he did Return of the Dragon, but it looked like he starved himself when he did Enter the Dragon.

The one thing I liked most about his physique was his "wings" (not sure what the proper term for it, but it's that V-shape that he has). I've always wanted that, but I assume it's something you're just born with b/c I've been doing rows and using the lat tower, and my body is nothing close to looking like that.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
kalbo said:
It looked like he was at his best when he did Return of the Dragon, but it looked like he starved himself when he did Enter the Dragon.

The one thing I liked most about his physique was his "wings" (not sure what the proper term for it, but it's that V-shape that he has). I've always wanted that, but I assume it's something you're just born with b/c I've been doing rows and using the lat tower, and my body is nothing close to looking like that.

lats...and you can get them if you started doing some weighted pull ups...they will grow just like any other muscle if you eat right.

CCS

Reaction score
rows don't give you wings. Looks at pics of lats. They can't possibly pull backwards. They pull your arms down. You have to do chin ups to get wings.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
rows don't give you wings. Looks at pics of lats. They can't possibly pull backwards. They pull your arms down. You have to do chin ups to get wings.

rows work your lats too but it builds lat THICKNESS not WIDTH.

muaythai187

Established Member
Reaction score
Both rows and chin ups affect the Latissimus Dorsi. When you do chin ups major muscles of the upper back( latissimus dorsi and teres major) and the front portion of the upper arm( biceps brachii and brachialis)will be develped when you perform them on a regular basis.Of course, this presupposes that you can pull up the entire weight of your body in the first place.

Rows are also good working primarily your middle back , but also works your latissimus and muscle in your arms. There are many different rows you can perform such as bentover barbell rows, smith machine bent over row, reverse grip bent over rows,bent over one arm long bar row,tbar row, lying t-bar row and seat cable row but out of all them lying t-bar is the most effective for me.

In conclusion both work are effective in gaining that "WING EFFECT"

powersam

Reaction score
just remember his lack of body fat played a part in his untimely demise. a healthy body has fat on it.

muaythai187

Established Member
Reaction score
Of course you have more of a advantage and easier of increasing muscles mass of you have less fat which is also why a healthy diet is a very important factor in developing muscle.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
muaythai187 said:
Of course you have more of a advantage and easier of increasing muscles mass of you have less fat which is also why a healthy diet is a very important factor in developing muscle.

how is it easier to increase muscle mass if you have less fat?

powersam

Reaction score
hair today gone tomorrow said:
muaythai187 said:

i was wondering about that one myself :)

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
powersam said:
muaythai187 said:

yah, i CANT wait to hear the answer to this one.

CCS

Reaction score
powersam said:
[quote="hair today gone tomorrow":07025]
muaythai187 said:

yah, i CANT wait to hear the answer to this one.[/quote:07025]

I don't think it matters. Maybe extra fat could be muscle sparing at night. But I think the only advantage to having less fat is you can afford to gain fat while gaining muscle. Gaining fat helps gain muscle. Not the fat itself, but always have food available in your blood from eating, which spills over into the fat as well.

powersam

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
powersam said:
[quote="hair today gone tomorrow":0e38d]
muaythai187 said:

yah, i CANT wait to hear the answer to this one.

I don't think it matters. Maybe extra fat could be muscle sparing at night. But I think the only advantage to having less fat is you can afford to gain fat while gaining muscle. Gaining fat helps gain muscle. Not the fat itself, but always have food available in your blood from eating, which spills over into the fat as well.[/quote:0e38d]

thats crap though. having fat or no fat would have no effect on that. quite the opposite actually. any energy available to fat building and fat stores will also be available to muscle building.

AssignmentZero

Established Member
Reaction score
What was the reason for his death again?

I think I saw his movie where he had a headache and took a pill never to awake again...???

bald30

Reaction score
on July 20, 1973, Lee was in Hong Kong, due to have dinner with former James Bond star George Lazenby, with whom he intended to make a film. According to Lee's wife Linda, Lee met producer Raymond Chow at 2 p.m. at home to discuss the making of the movie Game of Death. They worked until 4 p.m. and then drove together to the home of Lee's colleague Betty Ting Pei, a Taiwanese actress who was to have a leading role in the film. The three went over the script at her home, and then Chow left to attend a dinner meeting.

A short time later, Lee complained of a headache, and Ting Pei gave him an analgesic. At around 7:30 p.m., he lay down for a nap. After Lee did not turn up for dinner, Chow came to the apartment but could not wake Lee up. A doctor was summoned, who spent ten minutes attempting to revive him before sending him by ambulance to Queen Elizabeth Hospital. However, Lee was dead by the time he reached the hospital. There was no visible external injury; however, his brain had swollen considerably, from 1,400 to 1,575 grams (13%). Lee was thirty-two years old. On October 15, 2005, Chow stated in an interview that Lee was allergic to Equagesic. When the doctors announced Bruce Lee's death officially, it was coined as "Death by Misadventure."

Another theory is that he died from an allergic reaction to marijuana, which he was consuming at the time in hashish form. [23]. This is controversial, but it is confirmed that the coroner did find traces of the substance during his autopsy. [24] [25]

However, the exact details of Lee's death are controversial. Bruce Lee's iconic status and unusual death at a young age led many people to develop many theories about his death. Such theories about his death included murder involving the triads, a curse on Lee and his family, etc. The theory of the curse carried over to Lee's son Brandon Lee, also an actor, who died 20 years after his father in a bizarre accident while filming The Crow.
The grave site of Bruce Lee and his son, Brandon
The grave site of Bruce Lee and his son, Brandon

Upon his death his wife, Linda, returned to her home town of Seattle and had Bruce buried at lot 276 of Lakeview Cemetery. His son Brandon is buried beside him. Pallbearers at his funeral on July 31, 1973 included Steve McQueen, James Coburn, Dan Inosanto, Taky Kimura, Peter Chin, and his brother, Robert Lee. To this day, over 30 years after his death, fresh flowers are

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
muaythai187 said:

I wonder if he means that you have more visible muscle if you have less fat?