Bottom line: do you believe a cure for hair loss is on the horizon?

peridot

Reaction score
I'm a newbie, 37 y.o. woman diagnosed w/ Telogen Effluvium & Androgenetic Alopecia. This nightmare began about 8 mos. ago, the last 4 of which I've been using Rogaine, to no avail thus far, though I understand it can take much longer.

Regardless, I'm just beginning the foray into research. What I'm hoping those of you who've been investigating this topic for a long time can tell me is this:

Does your research make you hopeful that discovery of a cure is inevitable? If so, how far away from that glorious day do you believe we are? And how readily available do you think it would be? (For instance, on the thread about regeneration of limbs, someone estimated a $100,000 bill for that type of surgery--out of the question for most of us.)

Any thoughts you have will be much appreciated.

abcdefg

Reaction score
10-20 years just my guess. I think though the cost will be prohibitive in most cases for maybe additional time.

CCS

Reaction score
2-7 years. Just in time for my 30's. :(

peridot

Reaction score
Hmm--2 very different figures! Would you mind elaborating a little on how you arrived at your conclusions? Thanks very much...

DaSand

Established Member
Reaction score
Intercytex has come quite a ways, I believe after 2009 we will see something. Aderans will follow too.

Being someone who studies business in college, it will be expensive at first. But demand will make the price go down for ICX-TRC. Keep in mind, they're a company out to make money.

Despite I get impatient, I somehow know a cure will come. We just need to be more known around the world to get this procedure out.

If it does come out in 2010, I can live my late 20's in style. I'm doing better than both my grandfathers at my age. I've had this bs since someone made fun of my hairline at 16. It was a NW2 until my early 20's when I began to thin out.

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
As mentioned earlier, Intercytex & Aderans are working on alike treatments (Timeline: 2-4 years)
Then there is AndroScience ASCJ-9, a dht inhibitor made from natural ingridient (should be in phase-II now)
NEOSH101 - (also in phase-II)

These are supposed to be good ones that I know of, could be more out there

CCS

Reaction score
peridot said:
Hmm--2 very different figures! Would you mind elaborating a little on how you arrived at your conclusions? Thanks very much...

Hey, I thought you just wanted a bottom line. Now you are going to take up everyone's time in a debate? This has already been debated. Look through the old threads. You only have to go 1 month back to find a bunch of them on this topic.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
My view: I do not believe there will be a "cure" that will benefit this generation of baldies during its 20s and 30s. I believe HM is many years away, if it materializes at all. I think it far more likely that better treatments will be available in the coming years.

peridot

Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks all for your thoughts and tips!

Sorry, collegechemistrystudent, I wasn't trying to "take up anyone's time"--except to the extent that a forum is for the exchange of opinions and advice (and even for debate)--I'm simply trying to understand what I'm up against. I'm beginning to read through the threads, but as I said, I'm new to all this and they are often very full of jargon that I don't yet know. That's why, on another thread, I asked if people could provide links to some of the threads they found most helpful, but I didn't get a response.

At any rate, I appreciate your letting me know that there are similar posts a month or so back. I'll keep looking.

Cheers!

abcdefg

Reaction score
I can understand men with higher norwoods concern with hair multiplication getting here since its the only real hope I guess. Men that are younger with minor or low norwoods I dont see why better androgen inhibitors arent the cure for hairloss. I mean any topical with low or no sides that can effectively stop dht, testosterone, and any other dangerous androgens is essentially a preventative cure for male pattern baldness before it happens. Any men with most of there hair only need something like that. Hair multiplication is needed only to regrow lots of lost hair which many men also want.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Hair multiplication will help women too, but its not going to be practical and affordable anytime soon. I dont think science has a clue why women lose there hair other then to say androgens but for women a lot of times its not androgens i dont think but im not real sure on that.

italianguy

Reaction score
It isn't quite as simple as finding a better androgen inhibitor = cure for baldness.

Im a Norwood 1.5 and Im quite concerned ! :whistle:

We have extremely efective androgen inhibitors , going all the way up to chemical castration ( as used by the courts in extreme case ). Topical anti andros almost always exhibit system wide effects. Topical anything exhibits systemic effects ( ie Minoxidil side effects ).

I think the next 10 years we will see something come out as good or better than finasteride and Monox. Maybe with all three together , one could hope for a brighter future for the follicularly challenged bunch

I hope personally for a new topical to downgrade the scalp androgen receptors :shock:

Britannia

Reaction score
Yes. hair transplant will offer many a "cure". I expect within 6 years.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
italianguy said:
It isn't quite as simple as finding a better androgen inhibitor = cure for baldness.

Im a Norwood 1.5 and Im quite concerned ! :whistle:

We have extremely efective androgen inhibitors , going all the way up to chemical castration ( as used by the courts in extreme case ). Topical anti andros almost always exhibit system wide effects. Topical anything exhibits systemic effects ( ie Minoxidil side effects ).

I think the next 10 years we will see something come out as good or better than finasteride and Monox. Maybe with all three together , one could hope for a brighter future for the follicularly challenged bunch

I hope personally for a new topical to downgrade the scalp androgen receptors :shock:

I think by better he was implying a topical that would reliably and more or less totally neutralise androgenic effects locally without systemic effects. Such a thing should be within our grasp technologically but when and if it would be released is atougher question. If you were a pharmacorp developing such a thing and hair multiplication seemed imminent then you probably wouldnt bother unless you had already done most of the heavy lifting/spending.
But I think affordable hair multiplication is a ways off. At least a decade or more. People have been talking about this stuff online since the early-mid 90s as "just around the corner".
hh

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
The real future cure would be gene therapy where they completely shut off the gene that improperly releases hair.

They are doing this for other diseases, I would not see why they could not do this for hair.

Problem is there is not enough money invested for something like that.

So is there a cure on the horizon, NO!

Do what you can, and enjoy your life. You will ruin you life stressing about hair.

jakeb

Established Member
Reaction score
*Some* form of hair multiplication is possibly coming in 2009-10 and Intercytex says the price will be comparable to a hair transplant. How great HM 1.0 will be is still very much up for debate. We haven't seen one photo yet from phase IIa.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
5-10 yrs

Artista

Established Member
Reaction score
For women I think it's more complex. Check out the women's hairloss help forums. It can be a combinations of factors like hormones, thyroid, pcos, and on it can go. I don't know anyone on such forums who has a definitive "this is my diagnosis and nothing else is contributing." It's all a guess game and try this and that. Even if you block the hair loss gene if one has it, other things can cause it. I don't see how any one thing or even a combo is going to be able to plug it completely. I think we may see better treatments, but stopping it? No. It's like cancer in some ways.... who knows why some get it really after looking at their life/labs, etc.

DaSand

Established Member
Reaction score
I still think TRC will be here in 2009 or 2010 depending on how the trials are going. Something will come in our lifetime.