Bodybuilders?

sl

Established Member
Reaction score
How many here do u bodybuilding and stuff and blamne their hair loss due to that?

Britannia

Reaction score
None. Thanks for asking though.

SE-freak

Reaction score
sl said:
How many here do u bodybuilding and stuff and blamne their hair loss due to that?

I used to do that-never used steroids though. Sometimes finding a reason helps.

G

I always wondred why so many bodybuilders have a lot of hair.

It is supposed that they should lose a lot of hair due of anabolics and steroids.

And I see guys like Jay Cutler, who is caucasian and blonde, and he has thick and perfect hair. Just wonder how they do.

ikaponthus

Reaction score
Lifting weights DOES increase the amount of testosterone in your body. Especially big power movements like squats, deadlifts and bench. It's a fact. BUT I don't think it lifts it high enough to make you lose your hair. It just spikes temporarily after a heavy workout. Or so I have heard anyway...

Now STEROIDS are a whole different thing. Most steroids definitely cause hairloss - there is no doubt about it, and for more reasons that just increasing testosterone (and thus DHT). Bodybuilders typically use finasteride during their steroid cycle which prevents balding when using some types of injectible steroids. This goes to show how powerful finasteride is ... from all accounts it completely prevents balding even when your testosterone levels are blown through the roof. However, finasteride will have no effect on most oral steroids (such as dianabol and winstrol). In fact, many have reported that balding is worse when combining finasteride with these drugs.

They only use finasteride for the 10 or so weeks they are "cycling". Contrary to popular belief, finasteride does start to work immediately. Meaning your DHT levels will drop within days of starting to take the drug. People say it takes months to start working, but it doesn't. It takes months for you to see the results of the drug working, which is a different thing all together. Bodybuilders use finasteride not to grow hair, but to prevent balding and prevent excess body hair growth while the testosterone levels are through the roof.

And just in case you are wondering, no, I am not a steroid pumped bodybuilder. I am a rugby player and have been heavily involved in weight training for many many years. I have been involved in the weight training community for years and I have met and am personal friends with many steroid using bodybuilders, including some pros and former pros. That's how I know this stuff.

G

Really interesting info, thank you for sharing this stuff ikaponthus. :)

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
GoodGuy said:

It is supposed that they should lose a lot of hair due of anabolics and steroids.

And I see guys like Jay Cutler, who is caucasian and blonde, and he has thick and perfect hair. Just wonder how they do.
Because he is not genetically predisposed to hairloss, so the anabolics won't do a damn thing to his hair.

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My body is like a old wet leather bag, it is soft as a good french cheese and the last time it was exercised was by a priest.

What do you recommend ?

G

Dice_Has_Hair said:
GoodGuy said:

Because he is not genetically predisposed to hairloss, so the anabolics won't do a damn thing to his hair.

Just curious, how do you know he is not "genetically predisposed to hairloss" ? :shock:

ikaponthus

Reaction score
...because he is not going bald!

It's true. Those that are no geneticly predisposed to it won't go bald no matter how much steriods they take. Those that are it will become aparant very quickly after taking steroids (if it isn't already).

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
GoodGuy said:
Dice_Has_Hair said:
GoodGuy said:

Just curious, how do you know he is not "genetically predisposed to hairloss" ? :shock:
Well if he is not on a good hairloss treatment and he is on the anabolics( of course) and if he is predisposed to male pattern baldness............he would be bald. Well looking at his hair, it looks pretty full, he a juicer. Hes either not predisposed to hairloss, or he is and is on good hairloss treatment, or hes had a hair transplant perhaps..............I am sure he can afford it :) . Basically, what I was trying to say earlier was if you don't have the male pattern baldness gene, then anabolic steroids are not going to have an impact on your hair. Sorry for the confusion. :)

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ikaponthus said:

It's true. Those that are no geneticly predisposed to it won't go bald no matter how much steriods they take. Those that are it will become aparant very quickly after taking steroids (if it isn't already).
Absolutely correct. Thanks :wink:

G

ikaponthus said:

I know, but you said before, that Bodybuilders take finasteride to prevent balding. So, is it possible that he is genetically predisposed to lose hair, but he doesn't, because of finasteride and/or any other products?

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Radio said:
My body is like a old wet leather bag, it is soft as a good french cheese and the last time it was exercised was by a priest.

What do you recommend ?
A shrink :wink:

G

Dice_Has_Hair said:
GoodGuy said:
[quote="Dice_Has_Hair":46a05]
GoodGuy said:

Well if he is not on a good hairloss treatment and he is on the anabolics( of course) and if he is predisposed to male pattern baldness............he would be bald. Well looking at his hair, it looks pretty full, he a juicer. Hes either not predisposed to hairloss, or he is and is on good hairloss treatment, or hes had a hair transplant perhaps..............I am sure he can afford it :) . Basically, what I was trying to say earlier was if you don't have the male pattern baldness gene, then anabolic steroids are not going to have an impact on your hair. Sorry for the confusion. :)[/quote:46a05]

Ok, that answered my question, thank you. :)

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
GoodGuy said:
ikaponthus said:

I know, but you said before, that Bodybuilders take finasteride to prevent balding. So, is it possible that he is genetically predisposed to lose hair, but he doesn't, because of finasteride and/or any other products?
That depends on the bodybuilder. Some don't give a damn about their hair. There is no guarantee that just finasteride will prevent it either. Think about it. Look at the people that take Propecia, don't use roids, and go f*****g bald anyways. Then.........we have bodybuilders that use Propecia, use steroids and are predisposed...............and have a full head of hair?!?!?! Something is wrong with this picture. I just don't really know if Propecia will be enough. Its hard to imagine or even visualize. :?

ikaponthus

Reaction score
GoodGuy said:

Well in theory I guess. I've never heard of guys taking finasteride "just in case" but I guess there are those that would probably do it. If they're not going bald already they usually don't take finasteride because many believe it has an adverse effect on building muscle. And the ones that are geneticly predisposed to it know already because they have started balding naturally. So they know if they do a cycle their hair will fall out and a very advanced rate because it would be totally bombarded with DHT. So they take finasteride to counter the excess loss.

Most of the guys I have spoken to don't really care about "naturally" balding. They just don't want to lose masses of hair over a few weeks. So they just do the finasteride while they are on cycle and stop afterwards.

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dice_Has_Hair said:
Radio said:

What do you recommend ?
A shrink :wink:

Down to which size ?