Body/sexual changes after stopping Propecia

EnjoyLife

Reaction score
I had posted this on regrowth.com but I thought I will pass this by the experts here.

Here is my story:

I am 25 and half now. I have always been single. I was completely normal and happy before and upto ~Aug 2005.

In Aug 2005, I took Propecia for about 2 weeks separated by a month gap. so, I took Propecia for a week and discontinued it because of sexual side effects and then again ,for a week, after a month, Then i decided to never take it again because of side effects like lesser ejaculate, erections not that hard, reduced libido. This happened around Aug/Sep 2005.

Anyways, it is March 2006 now and I have noticed many changes in my body since i stopped taking it.

- I get morning erections very infrequently now (2-4 times/ month). I might get them if I have masturbated the night before.

- The quality of my morning erections has reduced a lot. It is not as hard as it used to be before Aug 2005.

- My libido has decreased dramatically. Previously (before Aug 2005), I would automatically get horny after 2 days and then I felt like masturbating ( usually twice in the same session). These days, I don't get horny automatically and I usually have to watch p**rn to arouse myself. Also, I lose my erection more easily if I turn off the p**rn. Previously, i could get a hard on any time I wanted. I used to become so easily aroused - travelling on bus, talking to a hot chick used to give me erections :) (not kidding) but not any more :-( .

- Getting a second erection is much harder these days and refractory period has increased. Also, my second erections are not as hard as first ones. This was not the case before I took any Propecia (before Aug 2005).

- Also, I ejaculate more easily now. It seems as if I have lost some kind of energy in my PC muscles. when I am about to come, it is very hard for me to stop the ejaculation. Note that I used to do Kegel exercies from about 2 years back and I could usually reach the point of no return and hold it there 3-4 times before coming.

- My pubic, chest, forearm, moustache, beard, eyebrow hair, hairs on the back of fingers, hairs on side and back of head has become thinner and thinning further. Beard is taking about 50% longer to show up. Pubic and eyebrow hair loss is most visibly reduced now. These changes started around Nov 2005.

- Nail growth has slowed down about 25%

Here are some of my test results:

Early 2006:

Total Testosterone: 353ng/DL (Ref: 241 - 827)
Free Testosterone: .97 ng/dL (Ref: 0.95 - 4.30)
%Free Testosterone: .27% of total (Ref: 0.32 - 0.51 )
Prolaction : it says "normal" but I will get the numbers soon.

Sep 2005:
Total iron: 90 ug/dL (Ref: 40 - 155)
TIBE: 305 ug/dL (Ref: 250 - 450 )
%Saturation: 30% sat (Ref: 15 - 55 )
Ferritin: 47 ng/mL (Ref: 22 - 322 )
Prolactin: 7.4 ng/mL (Ref: 2.1 - 17.7 )
Testosterone, Tot Srm: 283ng/dL (Ref: 241 - 827 )

At this point in my life. I don't care about my head hair loss much but I do feel frustated about the above changes.

Has anyone encountered these changes while on/ after Propecia? How does one go about reversing these? I wish no one had told me about Propecia.

joeylloyd

Established Member
Reaction score
That sounds worrying. I have been wondering if I have been affected by propecia. It is hard to say especially for sure but in theory you would expect it to have a negative effect I guess just by the reduction in DHT levels it causes.

kosmo

Established Member
Reaction score
so you took propecia for 2 weeks and you think it had that much of an effect on your body? you're in you mid mid's now, your sex drive isn't going to be what it was at 18. as long as it still works, relax and stop worrying about it.

jayC99

Established Member
Reaction score

Propecia has definitely fucked me over. I've been on it for a year now so I guess there's no point in stopping.

As for me:

- I never get morning erections, ever. I used to get them every single morning and they were rock hard.
- It has absolutely killed my sex drive. I have zero sex drive, like I'm nonsexual or something.
- Erections are more difficult to achieve.

These sides started after a month, I've been waiting for them to go away but they haven't. I really don't know what to do. My hair has thickened a little, but my crown bald spot continues to increase.

Baldness is such a curse.

EnjoyLife

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, guys.

I found this website:

propeciasideeffects.com

and associated forums for people who have had persistent side effects *after* stopping propecia

EnjoyLife

Reaction score
kosmo said:
so you took propecia for 2 weeks and you think it had that much of an effect on your body? you're in you mid mid's now, your sex drive isn't going to be what it was at 18. as long as it still works, relax and stop worrying about it.

No, I dont think that is the problem. I was perfectly fine a week before I started propecia. I would get morning erections and go twice in the same session. Now, I can barely go once.

propecia is a very strong drug. Read how it create side effects: http://propeciasideeffects.com/index_files/Page403.htm

joeylloyd

Established Member
Reaction score
I checked that site out and it looks like one guy's version of events really.

I am new here but have used proscar for about 1 year split 1/5 of the way.
I am a fairly regular steroid user though and can offer some thoughts through my knowledge from that area.

Whilst it is true that proscar/propecia would disrupt the normal functioning of the HPTA the effects of anabolic steroids on the HPTA would be be stronger. It is not uncommon for guys coming off steroids to experience sub normal testosterone levels, low libido etc for several weeks. However with proper post cycle treatment they do recover.

Now when you take proscar and then stop I would expect a similar pattern of recovery once you stop. Testosterone levels which will be elevated while taking proscar should fall and DHT levels should gradually rise.

I can't see how it would work otherwise really and going off one guy's anecdotal story isn't really sensible.

To the original poster give me a PM and I can point you into likely ways which should help you restore normal function - you might be able to get your doctor to prescribe you this if you can convince him.

rkim

Established Member
Reaction score
It is not uncommon for guys coming off steroids to experience sub normal testosterone levels, low libido etc for several weeks.

Do you mean that someone would experience an increase in sides (ED, low libido) directly after stopping/decreasing, until the body adjusts? Or just continued?

Also, what can someone do to help the recovery along?

joeylloyd

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you mean that someone would experience an increase in sides (ED, low libido) directly after stopping/decreasing, until the body adjusts? Or just continued?

I mean that when you discontinue steroids sides like ED, impotence, and low libido, plus others are quite common. This is because you have gone from a situation where you had a high androgen/testosterone level (while on steroids) to one where you have very low levels (immediately after the steroids have cleared from your blood). At this point expect estrogen levels to be rel.high, test and DHT levels to be low and to feel pretty sh*t.

But there are ways to a)avoid falling into that situation through certain steps which can be taken and b)if already in that position to take measures aimed at restoring hormonal function rapidly.

As per another post I made I would expect this regimen to work well for people coming off propecia but I am reluctant to post on a public forum for the simple fact it is illegal to recommend such a scheme. I will say that at its most basic level you can just take one drug but if you really wanna do it properly it requires 3 drugs.

I will say it is prudent that people in that position research the relevant info for themselves to verify what I say. If you got any questions of a technical nature feel free to PM me.

I will finish by saying that finasteride users experience high test and estrogen and low DHT levels. This would be slightly different from a steroid user coming off his drugs who experiences low T/DHT and high estrogen levels.