Body hair transplant to scalp

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Oh my gosh! This sounds like something from Frankenstein or something :hairy:

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Let's see, body hair transplants: atrocious yields, dodgy after photos, and most of the clinics that offer it are continually in the middle of some sort of controversy. Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with a big ol' no thanks.

G

In my opinion body hair should only be considered as a "last resort" for donor supply. I agree there are not enough cases done to date or published to the hairloss community to able to fully evaluate the yield. In addition the cost can be out of this world so why consider it if one has enough scalp donor.

I have heard of cases as high as 5,000 BHTs but never have seen any pics before/after, never heard of the end result. BH follicules are believed to cycle much slower in the dormant phase so re-growth can take typically up to three times as long. Still I believe it is in infancy, and there's definitely not enough results to base a fair opinion on them, and I am referring to the larger sessions. Now I have seen some good results implanting body hairs into scars that cannot be revised, but these cases were small and calling for delicate repair work, and in most instances the patient lacked any more donor in the scalp that could be safely taken.

michael barry

Reaction score
Body hair transplant.......

The problem with body hair is the expense. Ive read that going from a N6 to a N2 would be approximately 200,000$. Who has that kind of money? Ive seen the pictures and it apparently takes about three years for the body hairs growth phases to lengthen enough to where the body hair really looks like head hair. Plenty of us have enough body hair. I proboably have a full headfull of body hair on my Pete Sampras like-hairy legs alone. But the body hair transplant I read about was for 8 consecutive DAYS. The only thing I see body hair being used for with the masses is filling in donor zip scars or giving fullness to Norwood5s and 6s who shouldnt be getting transplant work done in the first place.

A man would have to wear a buzz cut for a couple of years after a major BHT also, which he may not like.

Uiskii to Biiru

Reaction score
If anyone here has seen jotronic's website where he documents his three transplants from Hasson and Wong, you may be suprised to learn that he has had body hair transplanted into his scalp, albeit a minor amount (he states that 100 body hair grafts were dispersed throughout a region which consisted primarily of scalp hair grafts). In spite of its limited usage in his case, I was suprised to read that Hasson and Wong did that at all.

This makes me wonder if a more agressive strategy could be implemented whereby all areas excluding the hairline itself could be done 50/50 (i.e. half scalp hair grafts and half body hair grafts). This would allow the scalp hairs to grow at a normal pace and give the impression of existant, though somewhat sparse, coverage throughout the crown while the body hairs matured. Once the transplanted body hairs begin to grow it would look much better.

michael barry:

...or giving fullness to Norwood5s and 6s who shouldnt be getting transplant work done in the first place.

I disagree on that point. Far too often people make the mistake of comparing a NW5/6 with an hair transplant to someone with no hairloss to speak of. Surely, going from NW6 to an NW3 is feasable, and as long as the person sees a skilled hair transplant doctor the benefit of getting that much improvement is worth it.

fallicule

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Body hair transplant.......

michael barry said:
The problem with body hair is the expense. Ive read that going from a N6 to a N2 would be approximately 200,000$. quote]

$200,000?!?!?! Are you serious? I really don't think that's a close estimate... I really hope it's not.