Black bald men vs White Bald men

bigentries

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been a lurker for almost a year, never decided to post until I saw some of the depressing stories in "my life would be different with hair" thread.

It is apparently accepted by many that baldness just brings negative trends.
Some even have some crackpot theories about how bald guys are at disadvantage in sexual selection, yet never realize that before the 60's women had no choice at finding a sexual partner, and being bald was never a handicap at killing another caveman or gaining immense power, the two things that really mattered to sexual selection for most of human history.

I always read that "bald men are pussies", "bald men are not attractive", "bald men can't achieve anything".

What I find amusing is that this is always said by white men. You could say that white men are the most affected by male pattern baldness, compared to asians and hispanics, yes. But there are plenty of Black guys with heavily receded hairlines or just plainly choose to shave their entire head for the majority of their life. Yet apparently black culture is exempt of this fear of baldness that affects whites.
Many people see shaved black guys as the epitome of Black male beauty, and never seen a black guy with a receded hairline that seems affected by it

Now, don't think I'm trying to sermon someone. I hate my male pattern baldness, and wish there is a cure soon. But I'm just trying to be rational, and trying to solve why it bothers me so much.
Why are white guys affected so much by male pattern baldness while Black guys sometimes even choose to get rid of their hair as a stand on their masculinity?

Could it be a sign of the latest trends in white culture to paint masculinity in white males in a bad light?
Can this be fought in some way?

Smooth

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Its way simple than you think it is.... hair is black, and on white skin, even if you shave it off you still have that horseshoe pattern around your head which black guys can get away with.

+ beauty is all in the proportions, and when you lose that line of hair that framed your face, there's a big chance youll lose proportion and lose more then few attractiveness points... many black guys can shave and not lose that proportion.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
It's a contrast issue... plain and simple. Black guys can get away with it because their skin tone is much closer to the darkness of their hair, thus decreasing the contrast making their horseshoe blend in much better. Dark hair against a white scalp makes the contrast much higher so our horseshoes stand out way more. It is because of this aesthetic difference that black bald guys are far more socially acceptable than white bald guys... and it is reflected in the media. You always see the black bald guy next to the white guy with some trendy hairstyle and NEVER the other way around...EVER.

bigentries

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, the contrast could be truth. but in that case, white bald guys should only need laser therapy to get rid of the last follicles (it's not like we are going to get HM soon), and blonde guys don't really have that much of a contrast problem.
I don't know how wrestlers like Goldberg and Stone Cold always have their head completely clean, maybe laser removal?

And what about receded hairlines?
Take Don Cheadle for example, he has a really receded hairline, and still gets good parts, never heard anyone complaining about his hairline.
How can he get away with that?

s.a.f

Reaction score
But Afro caribean hair is is not really as versatile in terms of styling as caucasian hair. How often do you see a black guy with a big hairstyle very few of them opt for a big afro or dreadlocks, they are a clear minority. Wheras its very common for white males to grow their hair out a few inches and use gels ect to style it. Nearly every black guy with hair keeps it real short (like under 1cm) anyway so a balding black guy who chooses to buzz it does'nt look so much different to the average black guy.
Now if 90% of black guys were to grow out a big Fro or have Bob Marley style dreads the bald ones would really stand out.
I can remember the singer Errol Brown was the first black guy to shave it smooth back in the late 70's/early 80's and he was considered unusual in the same way that Yul Byner was.

[attachment=1:dx2nlclz]images.jpg[/attachment:dx2nlclz]

Average style and length of white man hairstyle

[attachment=0:dx2nlclz]men black haircut.jpg[/attachment:dx2nlclz]

Average style and length of black mans hairstyle

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 4,997
  • men black haircut.jpg
    men black haircut.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 20,801

Nene

Reaction score
What UC man and smooth say about contrast and what SAF says about black vs white hair styles is also true. I'm Latino but I'm probably as dark as your average Italian. The contrast of a dark horseshoe against my fair skin has given me nightmares for years. As for Don Cheadle, he has plenty of hair for his age. Also, I'm sure you can see stone cold's horseshoe if you look for it.

sandovalusa

Established Member
Reaction score
Black guy's hair tends to be coarser and thicker than white's hair. It dries out more and can have up to twice the cuticle (outer layer). It is harder to style than white people's hair. Countless black guys shave their head for that reason.

If I see a black guy with a shaved head, I assume its because he didn't want to deal with styling his thick, coarse hair.

If I see a white guy with a shaved head, I look for the horseshoe and I assume the guy suffers from male pattern baldness.

Nene

Reaction score
sandovalusa said:
Black guy's hair tends to be coarser and thicker than white's hair. It dries out more and can have up to twice the cuticle (outer layer). It is harder to style than white people's hair. Countless black guys shave their head for that reason.

If I see a black guy with a shaved head, I assume its because he didn't want to deal with styling his thick, coarse hair.

If I see a white guy with a shaved head, I look for the horseshoe and I assume the guy suffers from male pattern baldness.

If you see a black guy with a buzz cut, even one with no guard, he probably has hair. However, 99.9% of the time a black guy with a razor shaven bald head also has male pattern baldness.

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
because their skin stone is more than ok with shaving...if i was a black guy i wouldn't be so worried about hair loss...If i were Florent Malouda...I would give nothing about hair loss...shaved look is better for him...!

Attachments

• florent-malouda-chelsea-rom.jpg
    florent-malouda-chelsea-rom.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 1,483

Obsidian

Reaction score
Both end up with a wreath around the head anyway... :whistle:

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
One time when I was out at the local bar with a freshly shaven head and there was this one young black guy there that fancied himself a stand up comic. He was giving my GF and me a little sample of his act... well during his whole shpeil he decided to do a little improv and started talking about just this subject. "Black guys who go bald look cool, but when white guys go bald they look like nazi cancer patients like this guy right here..." Yes, he was talking about me. I felt super pist and put on the spot, but I tried to keep my cool as I explained to him afterward that I have no control over being born white or my genetics that made me bald. I told him that as a black man, I'm sure he's been unfairly judged or profiled as a thugish gangsta when he is anything but. So why turn around and do something that you hate being done to you, to someone else? Then I told him he wasn't funny.
:punk:

Nene

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
One time when I was out at the local bar with a freshly shaven head and there was this one young black guy there that fancied himself a stand up comic. He was giving my GF and me a little sample of his act... well during his whole shpeil he decided to do a little improv and started talking about just this subject. "Black guys who go bald look cool, but when white guys go bald they look like nazi cancer patients like this guy right here..." Yes, he was talking about me. I felt super pist and put on the spot, but I tried to keep my cool as I explained afterward to him that I have no control over being born white or my genetics that made me bald. I told him that as a black man, I'm sure he's been unfairly judged or profiled as a thugish gangsta when he is anything but. So why turn around and do something that you hate being done to you to someone else? Then I told him he wasn't funny.

Wow, you handled that incredibly well UC man. What did he say after that?

Hope4hairRedux

Established Member
Reaction score
It comes down to purely the contrast.

The darker you are, generally the better your going to bald.

I dont think i really see black guys with no hair as 'bald'. I apply the term 'bald' to that white man egg head look. The odd look.

There are loads of things to worry about in the world. And Ive started to worry and think less about hair. But I still have most of it. And so I try not to hold on to any ideas too much. I just try and always keep in mind worse case scenarios, as well as great scenerios. And ill settle for a middle way.

I worry more about things like aging in general. Being old and wrinkly. Getting past 60 seriiously starts to suck. I cant see the point yet.

Im so scared of becoming what I see around me - so many bald, lobsterish, older white guys who look like total sh*t. I dont understand how it gets that bad.

Right now all I really have going for me are my fairly good looks. When the hair goes, f*** knows how ill fare. I think having a low fat % on the body and especially face is important in mantaining definition in the face. Go onto slybaldguys - thats the stereotype of bald man that I am so scared of becoming.

superfrankie

Established Member
Reaction score
Smooth said:
Its way simple than you think it is.... hair is black, and on white skin, even if you shave it off you still have that horseshoe pattern around your head which black guys can get away with.

+ beauty is all in the proportions, and when you lose that line of hair that framed your face, there's a big chance youll lose proportion and lose more then few attractiveness points... many black guys can shave and not lose that proportion.

THANK YOU! You have summarized everything in just a few sentences.

superfrankie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hope4hairRedux said:
It comes down to purely the contrast.

The darker you are, generally the better your going to bald.

So f*****g true. That is why you as a pale white man need to become suntanned to avoid looking like a cancerpatient. The funny part is that, that itself can get you cancer "aswell"

Hope4hairRedux said:
Im so scared of becoming what I see around me - so many bald, lobsterish, older white guys who look like total sh*t. I dont understand how it gets that bad.

This is already something I am starting to see in the mirror everytime I look into it, regardless of how much I hit the gym. No matter of hard I try I will still come across as shabby. You and me have the same type of fear within us.

superfrankie

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
One time when I was out at the local bar with a freshly shaven head and there was this one young black guy there that fancied himself a stand up comic. He was giving my GF and me a little sample of his act... well during his whole shpeil he decided to do a little improv and started talking about just this subject. "Black guys who go bald look cool, but when white guys go bald they look like nazi cancer patients like this guy right here..." Yes, he was talking about me. I felt super pist and put on the spot, but I tried to keep my cool as I explained to him afterward that I have no control over being born white or my genetics that made me bald. I told him that as a black man, I'm sure he's been unfairly judged or profiled as a thugish gangsta when he is anything but. So why turn around and do something that you hate being done to you, to someone else? Then I told him he wasn't funny.

Why didnt you just pick up your nazi gun and shoot that motherfucker?

superfrankie

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
Dark hair against a white scalp makes the contrast much higher so our horseshoes stand out way more. It is because of this aesthetic difference that black bald guys are far more socially acceptable than white bald guys...

:bravo:

sandovalusa

Established Member
Reaction score
bigentries said:
Again, if the contrast thing is true, why not just use laser hair removal? :whistle:

It's important for me to keep as many options open as possible. Getting all of the hair on my head removed with a laser will rule out my chance to grow out the sides of my hair and get a hair piece.

What if I get laser removal and then 20 years from now they invent hair follicle cloning and I can get a transplant and have a pretty damn full head of hair?