Biotin & Hairloss

bombscience

Reaction score
How would supplimenting Biotin help you hairloss situation. Could someone explain this to me?

Thanks.

hopewas

Reaction score
i've been taking it in capsules.. it's supposed to promote healthy hair and nails. i thought it wouldn't hurt to take. won't stop hairloss but will strengthen existing hair. it's cheap. i bought a year supply on costco for 15 bucks. if it can make my hair thicker, i'll be happy

Grantspots

Established Member
Reaction score
I take it too as it does promote healthier hair. File it in the "can't hurt, might help" category. And it's cheap.

jerry grant

Cassin

Reaction score
After reading a ton of stuff on Biotin I think it is worth the shot, very low risk. Plus no toxicity level seem to be found after VERY high doses of intake.

Though I have read varying reports on the RDA. It seems for those wanting to take it for hair, 2-3 mg seems to be the right range. Right now I am taking 2mg. Worth a shot as a treatment add-on. I bought 6 months worth for 8$ or somesuch.

I'm starting to think the is the best supp for hairloss.

In the late 80's GNC settled a lawsuit because of Biotin. They put on the lable it was to regrow hair. They had Biotin hair growth tabs, Biotin shampoo, Biotin Cream etc....Since they did not have FDA approval they had to stop.

I hope other people keep this post alive and we can get some other info.

Authors: Floersheim GL.

Institution: Dermatologie FMH, Rennweg 15,CH-4052 Basel; Switzerland.

Title: "An examination of the effect of biotin on alopecia and hair quality"

Source: Zeitschrift fur Hautkrankheiten. Vol 67(3) (pp 246-252+255), 1992.

Abstract: "The effect of a daily oral dose of 2,5 mg biotin was studied in 93 patients with the symptoms hair-loss (mostly androgenetic alopecia) and reduced hair quality. The mean duration of treatment was 7,9 +/- 2,8 months. An obvious improvement of hair-loss was reported in 64%, and a slight improvement in 9%. Hair quality was clearly improved in 70% and slightly in 12%. Brittle finger nails as an additional complaint were improved in 80%. If alopecia, decreased hair quality and brittle finger nails occurred in combination, improvement was observed frequently collectively. The study allows - as already shown in a previous investigation concerning brittle finger nails - to suggest biotin as an effective and well tolerated therapy in cases of alopecia and decreased hair quality."

G

Ive just added some biotin to, to my regimen. Going to take 3mg a day.

G

zimmy said:
Ive just added some biotin to, to my regimen. Going to take 3mg a day.

For a long time (pre minoxidl days) I used a combo by twin labs that was made up of polysorbate 80, niacin and biotin. You rubbed it on your scalp and left it on for say 20 minutes in the morning before your shower.

It MAY have helped, who knows.

Lizzad

Experienced Member
Reaction score
For a long time (pre minoxidl days) I used a combo by twin labs that was made up of polysorbate 80, niacin and biotin. You rubbed it on your scalp and left it on for say 20 minutes in the morning before your shower.

Bruce, you sound like you were around in Noah's days! Did you help him build his ark?

But seriuosly, when did you stsart balding?

G

Lizzad said:

Bruce, you sound like you were around in Noah's days! Did you help him build his ark?

But seriuosly, when did you stsart balding?

Started thinning in 1968. I was 19.

Noah has just finished the Ark I believe.

:laugh:

Lizzad

Experienced Member
Reaction score

The animals went by two by two, hoorah hoorah, Then Noah & Bruce went too, went too, hoorah hoorah!

Sounds like you've fought well. I suppose you were very excited when minoxidil appeared on the scene. Have you been maintaining hair with minoxidil for a long time? I hope i can.

G

Lizzad said:

The animals went by two by two, hoorah hoorah, Then Noah & Bruce went too, went too, hoorah hoorah!

Sounds like you've fought well. I suppose you were very excited when minoxidil appeared on the scene. Have you been maintaining hair with minoxidil for a long time? I hope i can.

I remember I was in college when minxodil was in the lab. We were dying to get our hands on it. I think I have been using minoxidil for maybe 15 yrs maybe more. Seems to still do it stuff.

However, it really was revitalized by the addition of finasteride about 2 yrs ago.

G

Ive been considering trying some Biotin 5mg capsules that ive seen on the net so i might bump up my Biotin dosage.

Ive been taking 2.5mg daily for about a month and think it may be helping. For one thing ive had at my temples the odd white or grey hair for the last 2 years and suddenlly theyve all dissapeared. Now i have to give up my job as a Steve Martin impersonator. :eek:

Im wondering if the Biotin could be responsible? Has anybody else had a similar experience with Biotin?

Cassin

Reaction score
Zimmy said:
Ive been considering trying some Biotin 5mg capsules that ive seen on the net so i might bump up my Biotin dosage.

Ive been taking 2.5mg daily for about a month and think it may be helping. For one thing ive had at my temples the odd white or grey hair for the last 2 years and suddenlly theyve all dissapeared. Now i have to give up my job as a Steve Martin impersonator. :eek:

Im wondering if the Biotin could be responsible? Has anybody else had a similar experience with Biotin?

B vit's are supposed to be the only way to go to stave of grey hair. So it's possible. I've been using Biotin for 6 weeks and my nails have hardened dramatically, so it's doing something. 5MG? I dunno, seems like a lot.

G

Cassin said:
B vit's are supposed to be the only way to go to stave of grey hair. So it's possible. I've been using Biotin for 6 weeks and my nails have hardened dramatically, so it's doing something. 5MG? I dunno, seems like a lot.

5mg is a bit, but ive heard some people say that for benefit to hair like in the case of MSM you need to take quite a bit. However that study says 2.5mg daily, 5mg...well not a lot more, ill need to think about it. The 5mg capsules arent that expensive either.

http://www.puritan.com/pages/file.asp?x ... =5169&np=0

G

I dont think Biotin is very toxic at all, ive heard of people taking 10mg daily. :shock: