Bimatoprost (Lumigan) as a new Hair Loss Treatment?

blondguy

Reaction score
"Lumigan is a drug that reduces pressure in the eyes of glaucoma patients to help prevent blindness.A few years ago, it was found that one of the side effects of the active ingredient in Lumigan called bimatoprost was increased eyelash hair growth..... Randall said, “Our findings show that bimatoprost does stimulate growth in human scalp hair follicles and therefore could offer a new approach for treating hair loss disorders.â€￾

"So far three experiments have been carried out.

Two of them involved human cells that were either kept in an organ culture or on the scalps of cosmetic surgery patient volunteers. The third test was performed on bald skin areas on mice. In all cases, hair growth occurred.
According to Mailonline.com, the hair “follicles treated with bimatoprost grew a third more hair than untreated samples in just nine days.â€￾
Scalp hair follicles were determined to have the same type of receptors as eyelash hair follicles. Professor Randall said as long as the drug can be applied in a way to reach scalp hair follicles, then it should stimulate hair growth.
Phase II clinical trials are currently in progress in the United States and Germany."

B

bboy4

Are you guys seriously saying you don't know about bimatoprost?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
LOLOLOL

itsnotslick

Reaction score
The bimatoprost theory has been around for almost a decade, nothing ever came of it. The quotes mentioned by the OP are from a article mid 2012, and again, nothing ever came of it. Sorry, but move on from this theory.

bboy5

Reaction score
The bimatoprost theory has been around for almost a decade, nothing ever came of it. The quotes mentioned by the OP are from a article mid 2012, and again, nothing ever came of it. Sorry, but move on from this theory.

What are you talking about? Allergan just finished stage II trails in September and the data is about to be released. It wasn't even approved for use on eyelashes until 2008. And Bimatoprost isn't even a theory, it's a drug.

kirk

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't remember where I read that, but Dr. Bauman said that the effect of bimatoprost is very similar to minoxidil. Our best hopes is that it adds to the effect of minoxidil when both are combined, otherwise it's only an expensive minoxidil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZaKRsPAPps

Here's hoping that Allergans (Company that makes Bimatoprost) concentrates the dosage and tweaks the vehicle a bit. Results should be a lot better if they do.

resu

Reaction score
They have:

"So what have we done? We have developed a novel proprietary formulation that will actually drive the bimatoprost where it needs to go. Through the thick scalp hair and skin and down into the hair follicle, because that's where bimatoprost actually works is at the level of the follicle, that's where the receptors are. So we are also, in addition to using this new formulation and vehicle, using higher concentration, significantly higher concentrations than you see with LUMIGAN or LATISSE. We found that this topical preparation is very well accepted by consumers and patients. In fact, more accepted than some of the other hair products, topical hair products that are out there. And the goal then is to get the drug into the skin and the hair follicle, but to limit the systemic absorption because if you imagine using 1 drop of LUMIGAN or LATISSE versus maybe 1 cc of a hair product on the skin or the scalp, one of the things you want to make sure is that your systemic absorption is not high."

bboy5

Reaction score
So does anyone know when we're supposed to be getting the results of the phase II?

007Baldy

Reaction score
There are loads of americans who are trying it and putting results up. It's amazing...I guess to be expected as women use Latisse for eyelashes...I just started treatment last week. Bought a few bottles will keep you posted!:)

John Rambo

Reaction score
If this stuff works like minoxidil i will buy it. You guys forget that minoxidil ruins your skin on your face and causes water retention. Anything that comes out without the stupid side effects of minoxidil or propecia is a good thing.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
please keep us updated! thanks!

IDW2BB

Established Member
Reaction score
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/03/17/eyelash-drug-may-hold-baldness-cure/ The big deal I gather from latisse or its equivalent, is that it works in a totally different way. Eyelashes do not react to androgens. I wonder if it makes non-balding hair on the scalp grow longer (in anagen and/or length?). Still won't help long gone follicle (why do you think most companies are focusing on "creating" new follicles). This works on the receptors "in" the follicle itself. It has nothing to do with the environment "outside" the follicle.

zephyrprime

Reaction score
I've used it and it seems to work but I soon ran out of the 2 bottles I bought. And buying a whole gram cost $500 on alibaba. 1 gram is more than a lifetime supply though.