Bhringraj (Eclipta Alba) experiment

dragonballaf

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering why no-one has experimented with Eclipta Alba herb/plant? It has been shown in two studies to regrow hair, with results comparable to minoxidil. Yes I understand that the study has only been done on rats/mice, but I would have thought that some of us would have experimented with it by now, provided the studies were published in 2009 (or maybe i haven't searched deep enough!).

This is the link to the studies if anyone is interested:
http://inhumanexperiment.blogspot.com.au/2009/07/eclipta-alba-extract-grows-hair-quicker.html

Anyways, to kick things off, I have ordered myself the Alba extract (http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-oz-BHRING...xtract-Top-Quality-Pure-Herbal-/370715371818?). It will roughly take a week or so for it to get to my place. However, I am not sure what concentration it's at, or how it has been extracted (these things are critical!). I am awaiting seller's response.

I would try it on myself, and keep this forum updated. If I don't see much progress, I will get on Minoxidil in a month's time.

Wish me luck!

dragonballaf

Reaction score
So the seller got back to me - 5% concentration using whole grain spirits. Hmm...
bringhraj.jpg

frenchy

Established Member
Reaction score

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've not heard of Alba extract. What is its mechanism of action? Is it a growth stimulant or an anti-androgen? Is it known to affect DHT?

dragonballaf

Reaction score
note that the study ( http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00403-008-0860-3 ) compares the efficacity of 5% alba extract to a 2% minoxidil --> The concentration used to treat male Androgenetic Alopecia is 5% minoxidil

Yes you are right frenchy. The concentration of 5% is not ideal. However, my take is that any progress is better than no progress. I am guessing that it will still show some effect (if it works!). Plus we can always create a more 'concentrated' formula later. Ideally I would have liked to source a Petroleum extract with a HIGH concentration of bhringraj, but Google didn't help.

dragonballaf

Reaction score
I've not heard of Alba extract. What is its mechanism of action? Is it a growth stimulant or an anti-androgen? Is it known to affect DHT?

I am not entirely sure, but I would be more inclined towards growth stimulant. Again, we need more peer reviewed research on this.

dragonballaf

Reaction score
I'll try this. Is this better the. Just regular oil 8 oz for 9 dollars ?

depends what the concentration of bhringraj. i would just buy the raw powder and mix it in some carrier oils.

- - - Updated - - -

ok so i have received my bottle today. just FYI it costed me AUD $50.25 all up - which includes $20ish as the shipping cost :| this is going to be one expensive experiment. to all the chemists out there, i have a question - it contains 25% pure neutral spirit (ie ethyl alcohol). Is that ok for your hair?

20141023_220418.jpg20141023_220434.jpg20141023_220455.jpg

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am not entirely sure, but I would be more inclined towards growth stimulant. Again, we need more peer reviewed research on this.
If it is just a growth stimulant, remember that its use as a hair loss treatment is very limited, because it is not treating the actual problem. Your hair follicles are still being damaged by DHT. Now if this product happens to be an anti-androgen, I would be very interested to read about it.

yid_1984

Reaction score
depends what the concentration of bhringraj. i would just buy the raw powder and mix it in some carrier oils.

- - - Updated - - -

ok so i have received my bottle today. just FYI it costed me AUD $50.25 all up - which includes $20ish as the shipping cost :| this is going to be one expensive experiment. to all the chemists out there, i have a question - it contains 25% pure neutral spirit (ie ethyl alcohol). Is that ok for your hair?

View attachment 28677View attachment 28678View attachment 28679

25% ethanol..lol.. pour it in a shotglass and put some icecubes in it..kick some back

that much alcohol is sure to ruin your folicles isn't it ?

israelite

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yes it is, i recommend just getting the oil on ebay. its much cheaper and usines seasme oil as a base

Argan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering why no-one has experimented with Eclipta Alba herb/plant? It has been shown in two studies to regrow hair, with results comparable to minoxidil. Yes I understand that the study has only been done on rats/mice, but I would have thought that some of us would have experimented with it by now, provided the studies were published in 2009 (or maybe i haven't searched deep enough!).

This is the link to the studies if anyone is interested:
http://inhumanexperiment.blogspot.com.au/2009/07/eclipta-alba-extract-grows-hair-quicker.html

Anyways, to kick things off, I have ordered myself the Alba extract (http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-oz-BHRING...xtract-Top-Quality-Pure-Herbal-/370715371818?). It will roughly take a week or so for it to get to my place. However, I am not sure what concentration it's at, or how it has been extracted (these things are critical!). I am awaiting seller's response.

I would try it on myself, and keep this forum updated. If I don't see much progress, I will get on Minoxidil in a month's time.

Wish me luck!
Did you figure out the mechanism of action?

HairtotheDome

My Regimen
Reaction score
doubt anyone is interested but another new mice study.

Eclipta prostrata promotes the induction of anagen, sustains the anagen phase through regulation of FGF-7 and FGF-5.

Abstract
CONTEXT:

Eclipta prostrata L. (Asteraceae) (EP) has been widely used for the treatment of skin disease in Asian traditional medicine.

OBJECTIVE:
This study investigates the potency of EP in promoting hair growth in vivo and in vitro.

MATERIALS AND METHODS:
C57BL/6N mice were divided into four groups (n = 4) as follows: control (topical treatment of normal saline), topical 3% minoxidil to the dorsal skin of mice for 14 days, and low (1 mg/day) and high (10 mg/day) doses of EP orally administered once a day for 14 days. Dorsal hairs of C57BL/6N mice were depilated to synchronize anagen induction. Hair growth activity was evaluated by gross and microscopic observations. Sections of dorsal skin were stained with haematoxylin and eosin. We also treated the various concentrations of EP (5, 10 and 50 μg/mL) for 24 h on the human dermal papilla cells (HDPs) and examined the effects of EP on the expression of FGF-7 and mTOR signalling.

RESULTS:
EP enhanced the induction of anagen in the dorsal skin of mice, characterized by the appearance of inner root sheath along with hair shaft, the emergence of hair shaft through the epidermis. EP increased the expression of FGF-7, while decreased the level of FGF-5 in C57/BL6 mice. EP also increased the expression of FGF-7, activated the mTOR signalling in HDPs.

DISCUSSION AND CONCLUSIONS:
These results suggest that EP has a potency to enhance the growth of hair follicle, promoting hair growth through regulation of FGF-7 and FGF-5.