Best minoxidil brands? Itching? Hair products?

bojangles

Reaction score
I think I've chosen to use minoxidil for my thinning hair and receding hairline, but first I have a few questions about some things.

1. What are the differences between the minoxidil brands? Is one more effective than another at treating hairloss? Are some worse for itching than others? Are any easier to apply and dry faster than others?

2. if itching or burning or whatever is a problem, is there anything that can be done about it? something else to put on your scalp or a shampoo?

3. What are the rules about using hair products along with minoxidil? Do you have to wait a long time after minoxidil application to use hair products like pomade or wax/puddy? My hair honestly looks like crap without a little product in it.

Britannia

Reaction score
1) There are a few different brands of Minoxidil, the main ones I can think of are Rogaine and a generic one by the name of Kirklands. Theres a few special mixtures available from Dr Lee, Im not too sure on them though, I dont use Minoxidil
2) Most people who use Mino use Nizoral shampoo in rotation with a shampoo such as T-gel. Some people also use conditioners too.
3) Not sure about the "rules", try looking through other peoples posts.

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you use minoxidil alone, that is, without inhibiting dihydrotestosterone, any gains made will be lost in time (perhaps as little as two years).

Scalp irritation from a minoxidil formula is almost certainly caused by the PPG and not the rather benign minoxidil itself, although the PPG is said to aid penetration its main role is in extending shelf life.

All the minoxidils I have used, know and loved.

Rogaine - oily, greasy, slow drying (2-4 hours), the original, widely sold and easily available.

Kirkland - oily, greasy, slow drying (2-4 hours), the cheapest minoxidil and rumoured to be made by UpJohn (Rogaines manufacturer) so in that respect identical to Rogaine but cheaper.

Dr Lees Standard - light, non greasy, fast drying (10-15 minutes! really!!!!), less PPG so less irritation to the scalp, but if you live in the US you need to fill in (and pay for) an online consultation (only once)being in the UK I did not have to do the consultation :)

So there you have it, if you want stuff you can throw on and leave the house 20 minutes later without looking like something has shat on your head goto http://www.Xandrox.com and get yourself some of Dr Lees product 500 (standard minoxidil), if you want a very cheap supply of good minoxidil hunt down some online Kirkland, if you like the convenience of walking into your local pharmacy and picking something up off the shelf, Rogaine is for you.

As for the itching problem:

Nizoral shampoo go get some right now. Use 2 or 3 times a week.

T/Gel helps with itchiness.

T/Sal helps with itchiness.

Folligen helps with itchiness.

Use a conditioner

When you leave the bath/shower rinse your head in very cold water for a couple of minutes (this really helps)

Take one day off from minoxidi every week and use a good quality moisturiser on your scalp untill you can bring the itch under control.

Even using these shampos, it can take a few weeks to get your scalp in good health.

Good Luck

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
RS said:
Hair A Gain is 5% Minoxidil, and is considerable cheaper then Rogaine.

http://www.epharmacy.com.au/product.asp?id=41716

Hair A Gain.... nice name. :) I've been using the generic Safeway brand with great results. Not only is it non-oily, but very quick drying. And I have combated scalp irritation by shampooing every other day, and letting the conditioner sit on my head a while before rinsing.... and even then, I don't rinse completely.

clau

Reaction score
Radio said:
If you use minoxidil alone, that is, without inhibiting dihydrotestosterone, any gains made will be lost in time (perhaps as little as two years).

Scalp irritation from a minoxidil formula is almost certainly caused by the PPG and not the rather benign minoxidil itself, although the PPG is said to aid penetration its main role is in extending shelf life.

All the minoxidils I have used, know and loved.

Rogaine - oily, greasy, slow drying (2-4 hours), the original, widely sold and easily available.

Kirkland - oily, greasy, slow drying (2-4 hours), the cheapest minoxidil and rumoured to be made by UpJohn (Rogaines manufacturer) so in that respect identical to Rogaine but cheaper.

Dr Lees Standard - light, non greasy, fast drying (10-15 minutes! really!!!!), less PPG so less irritation to the scalp, but if you live in the US you need to fill in (and pay for) an online consultation (only once)being in the UK I did not have to do the consultation :)
Good Luck

Have you checked http://www.genhair.com ?

minoxidil sensitive scalp 2x100ml @ very agressive price ( indeed they don't show any other standard minoxidil than PPG free one)

...and their minoxidil + Azelaic A. ?

comments appreciated

clau