being realistic at the 6th month mark

anotherwasteddecade

Reaction score
hail fellow sufferers

my hairloss started when i was just 15 and it DID screw my teen years. i'm 18 now and a norwood 2 with some additional frontal thining. vertex is still unaffected thank god for that

i've been on propecia for 6months... so far nothing has changed. i keep my hair shaved #0-1 so any progress should be easy to notice. i've added minoxidil and nizoral 5months ago, but i didn't expect much of those two anyway

my question is: is there someone who has had real success after the 5th month? i know i should wait until the 12th month to be sure and so on... but the truth is i'm short on budget and if chances of success after the 5th month are low then i think i'll probably give up :( please help

thank you

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
anotherwasteddecade said:
i've been on propecia for 6months... so far nothing has changed.

Thank goodness "nothing has changed"! Finasteride is best at preventing further loss.

To be blunt, what do you expect man? Meds arent going to regrow a bush on your head. Be thankful things arent getting worse and that you're only a NW2.

anotherwasteddecade

Reaction score
when i said nothing has changed i was referring to the loss of hair: it's the same, i mean, i'm still losing hair... of course with a shaved head the extension of the sheds is impossible to assert... but the fact is i'm still receding, i took photographs 6months ago and hairloss is taking its course so i guess the finasteride isn't doing much of a job

but yeah i guess you're right it could be a lot worse. but in a few years it will be.

SE-freak

Reaction score
If you feel that propecia is not helping you maintain your hair, combine it with a topical antiandrogen and see how it goes.

the dutasteride option is many steps ahead.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
anotherwasteddecade said:
when i said nothing has changed i was referring to the loss of hair: it's the same, i mean, i'm still losing hair... of course with a shaved head the extension of the sheds is impossible to assert... but the fact is i'm still receding, i took photographs 6months ago and hairloss is taking its course so i guess the finasteride isn't doing much of a job

but yeah i guess you're right it could be a lot worse. but in a few years it will be.

Hey bud, I know what you mean and I'm in a similar situation. Things dont look bad now but I'm concerned over what it might look like in the next 5+ years.

Sorry if I was a little harsh but some guys come here and "hate" on Finasteride if it doesnt grow all their hair back when Finasteride is more a maintenance drug then a regrowth drug (though finasteride can induce some hair growth in men).

I suggest adding Nizoral 1% or 2% to your routine now if you haven't already done so. I recommend using Nizoral 1x or 2x a week with one application of Selusun Blue inbtween somewhere. On days you're not using Nizoral or Selsun any shampoo of your choice should suffice.

If you already have done that I suggest trying to add a topical to your routine. I suggest topical spironolactone. You can make it yourself or buy ready made formulas on the Internet.

Gives things a solid 6 - 12 months using all this things while taking montly photos. The goal would not be regrowth but rather hair maintenance. At the very least this should greatly slow down hairloss.

Best I can tell ya without taking more risky steps :)