Beef

The Gardener

Reaction score
I just finished a wonderful filet mignon dinner. Got a pack of them from Costco at a pretty fair price, and they were delicious!

Seared then sauteed them in butter, and whipped up a little package of Bearnaise sauce to drizzle over the top of the filets. Served them over white rice, with a salad and glass of red wine.

Fricking delicious.

Every now and then, you need a meal that is healthy for the SOUL.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
I approve and endorse your choice of Sunday supper.

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i must say that every once in a while my body tells me that it must have filet now
i used to get it once a week but now its more like once a month

CCS

Reaction score
I agree about the emotional food. I'm drinking chocolate milk once a week now. I drink about a quart at once just so my body has a chance to react to the sugar spike so it does not forget how. Very tasty stuff.

As for meat, I bought some skinless, boneless chicken breast for $1.80 per pound. I cut it up, added water, put peper, salt, tumeric powder, and paprika on it, stirred it up, and microwaved it for 4 minutes. I tasted pretty good, though not nearly as good as marinated meat can taste.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Cassin said:
I'm thinking of going close to a vegetarian diet except fish but it kills me thinking of not having a nice steak.

WTF? Not before you get that rib process perfected...and don't forget the McKinney contest. And.......say it ain't so!

Cassin

Reaction score
hairwegoagain said:
Cassin said:
I'm thinking of going close to a vegetarian diet except fish but it kills me thinking of not having a nice steak.

WTF? Not before you get that rib process perfected...and don't forget the McKinney contest. And.......say it ain't so!

I know I know. Not sure whats happening.

The past year or two...every time I look at raw red meat my stomach churns. Which sucks because every time my family or some friends have a BBQ they ask me to help cook. I must say I am good at it and I do enjoy it. :p

But every time I eat read meat I think about the entire raising and slaughter process now. Every time.

I don't feel that way with chicken or fish though.

Its stupid I know...I'm a mess. :lol:

G

Cassin,

How do you feel about casein?

Does Cassin eat casein?

Also, how do you feel about pork rinds(cracklins)?

Eagerly awaiting your answers,
JayMan

G

Cassin said:
hairwegoagain said:
Cassin said:

I know I know. Not sure whats happening.

The past year or two...every time I look at raw red meat my stomach churns. Which sucks because every time my family or some friends have a BBQ they ask me to help cook. I must say I am good at it and I do enjoy it. :p

But every time I eat read meat I think about the entire raising and slaughter process now. Every time.

I don't feel that way with chicken or fish though.

Its stupid I know...I'm a mess. :lol:

I agree with you cassin. I gave up cow and pig meat over 2 years ago and had the same thoughts as you. I am only eating chicken and fish now. Maybe someday I will stop that too....

Cassin

Reaction score
badasshairday said:
I agree with you cassin. I gave up cow and pig meat over 2 years ago and had the same thoughts as you. I am only eating chicken and fish now. Maybe someday I will stop that too....

I bet I will eventually move to full veg head.

I already gave up cigarettes, alcohol and caffeine so I have the will power ....I think.

The Gardener

Reaction score
For crying in a bucket, Cassin, I start a thread highlighting the soulful aspects of a steak dinner and you rain on my parade with all this vegetarian talk!

:lol:

It's a good conversation... and I respect animals, but also very much enjoy eating them. I do wish that they be treated humanely, but given our population levels, I'm not sure what I can do to speak up about it. We decapitate our cows. Other earthly predators rip and tear their prey to shreds. Which is more humane? I suppose the "imprisonment" aspect of raising protein livestock is inhumane, keeping them in cages, etc.. but in this regard, I would think that we tend to treat cows a lot better than we treat chicken. Poultry farms are horrific, at least the cows get an opportunity to graze...

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The problem isn't beef. The problem is simply people don't eat a balanced or varied enough diet, including vegetables, fibrous foods, and polyunsaturated fatty acids in the Omega 3 family. However they do eat way too many processed and refined foods and sugars.

So enjoy your steak.... but don't forget to enjoy a good piece of fish every week or so too. My absolute favorite is tilapia, which is also super low in mercury and other contaminants, and salmon is a close second.

CCS

Reaction score
Google the fish to make sure it is high in DHA and EPA compared to other fish. Also, the bigger the fish, the more mercury, as a simple guide. Salmon is really good, but I'm not sure that Tilapia has enough omega-3's. I think you should eat fish more than once a week. I eat mackerel daily. The biggest culprit out there is the albecore tuna a lot of people eat. It is low in omega-3's, expensive, and high in mercury. I think it tastes bad too. But a lot of people eat it. Beaf is low in tryptophan, but you can make that up easily with grains. Yeah, chicken conditions are horrible, which is probably why they are so cheap: assembly line efficiency instead of life. For health and ethics, fish are the best bet.

JayBear

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
I already gave up cigarettes, alcohol and caffeine so I have the will power ....I think.

Everyone needs vices man. Don't give up all the fun stuff.

CCS

Reaction score
JayBear said:
Cassin said:

It's not fun. It just seems that way because you are misserable without it because of withdrawal pains. The way smokers feel when they get their fix is how non-smokers feel all the time. Actually non-smokers feel better than that all the time. Smokers are not having fun when they smoke. They are just getting a break from the headache and nervousness that nicotine withdrawal causes.

Now alcohol can be fun, though I've found I can have just as much fun sober.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
Google the fish to make sure it is high in DHA and EPA compared to other fish. Also, the bigger the fish, the more mercury, as a simple guide. Salmon is really good, but I'm not sure that Tilapia has enough omega-3's. I think you should eat fish more than once a week. I eat mackerel daily. The biggest culprit out there is the albecore tuna a lot of people eat. It is low in omega-3's, expensive, and high in mercury. I think it tastes bad too. But a lot of people eat it. Beaf is low in tryptophan, but you can make that up easily with grains. Yeah, chicken conditions are horrible, which is probably why they are so cheap: assembly line efficiency instead of life. For health and ethics, fish are the best bet.

I was talking about favorites as far as taste. Give tilapia a try, you might like it.

But eating a varied diet should extend to different fish species as well. For instance, the FDA recommends not eating fish like salmon or tuna, or other larger fish high in mercury, more than once a week. While, even wild Tilapia has been determined to have the lowest levels of mercury by the FDA... basically non-detectable.

As for Omega 3's, a 4oz. serving of tilapia has .25-.5mg after cooking. That far better than cod and catfish, and compares fairly decently with fresh cooked tuna and flounder, but it's from between 3-8x less than salmon, depending on the breed.

Cassin

Reaction score
JayBear said:
Cassin said:

My friend, I have had my vices. Trust me. :)

My body could you some time on the other extreme side of the spectrum. :lol: