BBC news story about propecia?

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Thank you for having the balls to post this here, most people on this forum want to delude themselves that the side effects from Finasteride are minor and will disappear easily after cessation of use.... James is yet another poor soul proving that this is simply not the case! After only 3weeks wtf!!!!

This article comes from one of the mot respected news agencies in the world, so there's no questioning the source.

There's just too much we don't know or understand about this drug, please scientists get your arses moving and come up with something safer!

kaosi

Established Member
Reaction score
primo why u visit this site if u dont take finasteride and think to start life with bald head. u stay here just to scare people .?

Mens Rea

Reaction score
I just sent this to my endo actually.

Great to see. Sad at the same time though. Poor James had the worst of "PFS" to the very book (hell breaking loose 2-3 weeks after quitting the toxic)

My brother heard this on the radio today and was asking me if it was about "that sh*t that you took" and i was like yeah. He was like "holy sh*t how they hell are people allowed to take that?" I didn't have the energy to explain!

brett83

Reaction score
I live in the UK and read that this morning, ive been on propecia for 7 weeks now, and im more then happy to carry on :)

Mens Rea

Reaction score
brett83 said:
I live in the UK and read that this morning, ive been on propecia for 7 weeks now, and im more then happy to carry on :)

lol. Good luck mate. Seriously :)

If i were you id get my bloods taken NOW.

I remember someone told me to take base bloods and i was like "wise up" ...too much hassle and all that.

Just for the record i took propecia for a like 9 months (on and off) with pretty much no sides. I then took it again a year later for 13 months. It was then the sides hit me. It took me a year to notice!! But they slowly got worse and worse even after stopping.

So dont let hubris hurt you.

brightside

Established Member
Reaction score
Anything like this is good to raise awareness. Now we need an article on the main BBC news site in more detail.

I find its often the hair loss clinics and suppliers of overpriced generic Finasteride that peddle the 'only 2% get sides' line. I asked an 'advisor' at a UK clinic what he thought about the reports of people with permanent side effects and the post-finasteride syndrome, and he said that he'd never heard of it! Then again, he also told me that DHT is 'surplus' and Minoxidil 'blocks DHT'.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
brightside said:
Anything like this is good to raise awareness. Now we need an article on the main BBC news site in more detail.

I find its often the hair loss clinics and suppliers of overpriced generic Finasteride that peddle the 'only 2% get sides' line. I asked an 'advisor' at a UK clinic what he thought about the reports of people with permanent side effects and the post-finasteride syndrome, and he said that he'd never heard of it! Then again, he also told me that DHT is 'surplus' and Minoxidil 'blocks DHT'.

LOL

Yeah, finasteride is an obscure drug to most GP's.

Any male pattern baldness related stuff seems to be far from their domain tbh!

brett83

Reaction score
ok so my statement was a bit brass!

but it just gets to me about the way some of you are reacting, im not saying what that article isnt true, i think in the minority of poeple that has happened and that it has happened to you but dont come on here to scare people, let the article speak for itself!

for instance the article starts with:
"Young men could be risking their sexual health by taking a commonly used anti-baldness drug, claim some doctors."

Now thats a very open ended opening statement, which shoud be the most powerful statement, but clearly they are covering themselves by being so "safe" with it.

Then they carry on to use 1 person as a case study.

Just my 2 cents...

Brett

PS. You call me arrogant Colin297 but thats my point, just because im having a postive experience with it you get negative towards me??

brightside

Established Member
Reaction score
brett83 said:
"Young men could be risking their sexual health by taking a commonly used anti-baldness drug, claim some doctors."

Now thats a very open ended opening statement, which shoud be the most powerful statement, but clearly they are covering themselves by being so "safe" with it.

Brett

That's how a lot of journalistic articles are written. It's not exactly breaking news to us but its good that the BBC have picked up on it.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
brightside said:
brett83 said:

Brett

That's how a lot of journalistic articles are written. It's not exactly breaking news to us but its good that the BBC have picked up on it.

That wording is careful. A disclaimer really, necessary to protect their own arse's. Which is fair.

They'd lose credibility otherwise anyway as ironic as that may be.

brett83

Reaction score
ok well im taking the postive that now with this article people can take an imformed dicision considering merck have changed the packaging.
:)

im afraid its still not proven anything as their is no factual content but it helps in awareness.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
brett83 said:
ok so my statement was a bit brass!

but it just gets to me about the way some of you are reacting, im not saying what that article isnt true, i think in the minority of poeple that has happened and that it has happened to you but dont come on here to scare people, let the article speak for itself!

Then they carry on to use 1 person as a case study.

Just my 2 cents...

Brett

PS. You call me arrogant Colin297 but thats my point, just because im having a postive experience with it you get negative towards me??

You what? Maybe you should re-read my post. I was more than friendly, im confused how you could even think im being negative towards you? You sure you arent getting brain fog from that propecia (joke)...

I took my time and told you my story (7 weeks with no sides is nothing, you are potentailyl talking about taking this drug for the rest of your life right? Some people take it many years before they feel the effects) for your benefit.

I simply said don't let "hubris stop you" from getting base lines/execising precaution. The "you" was quite a throw-away reference to pertain anyone on finasteride. And the hurbis was a reference to myself as much as you or anyone else. Hardly personal or negative in any light..

brett83

Reaction score
colin chill fella!

thank for explaining your hubris comment i now understand and i do appreciate you explaing your story.

anyway as i say in my latter post i think the article is good for both sides.

peace dude :)

Brett

Ende

Reaction score
He was immediately given TRT without any monitoring, and was offered a penile implant 6 months later, when he complained about TRT being ineffective... That Doctor should have his license revoked! It's good that some people are drawing attention to the problem, but this situation is just getting worse. That Dr. Shippen is the only professional who seems to know anything about what's actually going on, is frightening.

Merck should be ruined with law suits.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
Enden said:
He was immediately given TRT without any monitoring, and was offered a penile implant 6 months later, when he complained about TRT being ineffective... That Doctor should have his license revoked! It's good that some people are drawing attention to the problem, but this situation is just getting worse. That Dr. Shippen is the only professional who seems to know anything about what's actually going on, is frightening.

Merck should be ruined with law suits.

Enden I thought the same thing

Well i thought to myself is "the biggest tragedy is that even the docs mishandled him". I could have helped that guy more. I hope he finds the right sources soon if not already.

But thats not fair Re: Shippin

Dr Jacobs
Dr Goldstein
Dr Crisler
Dr Shippin
Dr Irwig

and maybe 3 or 4 others are all relatively in the know. My endo and many others are actively reading on the subject.

Ende

Reaction score
I mean that Dr. Shippen actually KNOWS what's going on. He has a lot of "PFS" patients which he has examined, and he has found out what they have in common. Symptoms of hypogonadism, low testosterone, low DHT and high estrogen. However, he doesn't understand why some of them don't recover, despite of treating them with drugs which stimulates testosterone production, or TRT. I'm telling you, it's because of screwed ratios between those hormones.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
Enden said:
I mean that Dr. Shippen actually KNOWS what's going on. He has a lot of "PFS" patients which he has examined, and he has found out what they have in common. Symptoms of hypogonadism, low testosterone, low DHT and high estrogen. However, he doesn't understand why some of them don't recover, despite of treating them with drugs which stimulates testosterone production, or TRT. I'm telling you, it's because of screwed ratios between those hormones.

I know what you meant Enden but Dr Crisler and a those others listed are as almost as equally involved. Dr Crisler probably more so.

The symptoms are becoming accepted amongst these doctors but they still have varying approaches and theories.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Of all the hairloss forums I frequent, Hairlosstalk is by far the most aggressive in its push for finasteride and dutasteride, just one reason why I rarely visit any longer. Although, this forum is just a mere slice of a world population brainwashed over the past 80-100 years into believing the dogma of patentable medicine's divinity. As an ex-finateride sufferer, taking almost 1.5 years to make a recovery, I just wonder if Merck can contain the complete truth long enough to outlive their patent.