baldness the catalyst

seb

Reaction score
If one has other visual and aesthetic flaws(or what society deems as flaws), then baldness only exurberates the problem. This is why u.man and myself get so much flak for being bald(yes bald, not balding). We not only do not suit being bald, but have other cosmetic issues, that along with the aforementioned only serves to propel the masses hatred for us even faster. It pains to say this(as it applies too me also) but another reason u.man and I get constant insults, is because we adorn ourselves with facial hair. It is too much for people to process....more hair on the face than on the head. Society, as a whole, despises facial hair at the best of times. Combine the two, double the derision.
The only way society(by and large) will leave a bald man alone, is if they can pull the look off, and have no other glaring flaws.

DannyBoyy

Reaction score
Welcome to a game i like to call life where its full of bastards you been picked on? called a name? etc join the club get in line...you may have to wait a while its a BIG line.

seb

Reaction score
Im tired, so tired of playing it.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it normal though, for everyone to get abuse when they go to the supermarket, pub, going too get petrol, in every gym frequented, every job, delivering the post, next door neighbours......

Jockson

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't see how is this true for ucman. He is tall, has handsome facial features (no homo), has a pretty much perfect skull shape, apparently broad shoulders as well. In that sense he is in a better situation than 99% of bald people. He probably thinks it doesn't matter because he is still bald anyway but it's true.

seb

Reaction score
U.man, by his own admission is skinny, and lanky, wears facial hair, thus, baldness as the title says is a catalyst, hence the constant ridicule. The poor man doesnt suit being bald, as I. Two men, poles apart, both accruing constant abuse. In my case, overflowing into affecting job prospects, house renting etc
But hey, we are just paranoid sociopaths right.....

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'll bet no one, except his wife, knows that he has those insecurities. They are probably honestly intimidated by him because they think he's the angry alpha type. That was my impression from his pictures and I would admittedly be a bit intimidated in person. Same with ghg. Both look like alphas yet both think people don't talk to them because they're bald.

Whatever it is, I know the problems are real to you guys. I just wish you could find ways to be happy. I've lived in misery, going on auto pilot for months, wondering why Im wasting air. Coming out of that I really feel for you guys, it's hard to escape the prison your mind has confined you to.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Besides being skinny and maybe having bad skin Baldness I would say is my one true flaw. But I agree with you how baldness can be a catalyst for other issues. For instance, many people say I look like a bum or the burglar from the ADT Home Security commercials. This look of mine is not entirely of my choosing because it is reactionary to my hair loss. I'm bald, so I shave my head but without any hair on my face to anchor the eye I look like an unsettling manaquin so I wear a beard to balance things out. (I always explain it as maintaining the golden ratio albeit upside down.) It's better than the alternative IMO but people are just conditioned to expect hair on top with a clean face so incidentally guys like us challenge that perception. And seb's right that our image flys in the face of many people who just can't handle it. I've had people look at me like I just stepped out of another dimension.... like they can't believe that I am standing in the same space as them and that I even exist at all. It makes me want to ask them if they've ever seen a bald guy before and if so do you also look at them the same ****ed up way? I want to deliver the hot slap but we must do so with our words and our wit lest we want to wind up in jail. Anyhow, the point is that baldness more or less forces you to conform to it somehow. Some people roid up while some go the other way and become the myopicly hip bookworm with the designer glasses while baldness make some guys give up on trying to maintain an "image" and then you get the other types who overdress in expensive looking suits because if hair can't make the man then the clothes certainly will, right?:/ male pattern baldness led me to this compromised bummy image that is not how I would choose to represent myself but feel like I must because I would rather look like a bum with a handsome face and probably a full head of hair (to the imagination) than the ugly freak I really am.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
Welcome back Seb.

strictly

Reaction score
this thread hits home with me, I have long hidden behind my hair, i had very lop sided ears (recently got them pinned back actually best decission I ever made hands down!) and a rather large nose.... with a bit of floppy hair on top, it all kind fits together, not perfectly, but i dont look terrible... although i fear baldness, moreover I fear my facial makeups inability to pull it off, I know loads of bald guys who look great and CLEAN UP with the oposite sex, and I mean CLEAN UP!!!!, girls falling at their feet or hapily married etc... if they did have hair, Id tell them they should shave it off as they look better with none... I am sadly not in this group

However after the recent ear pinning experience, I feel a damn site better about this than if I was still using my hair to hide my ears, I have found cosmetic surgery to be not actually that invasive, and a very life changing event, and is not just for the vain hollywood type, it can help us nomal insecure folk for not actually that much money...

- - - Updated - - -

This has actually really got me thinking...

I'm new here, as i have recently discovered a bit of hairloss and am eager to stop it... HOWEVER before that I never noticed balding really, in the streets etc, its everywhere so many people yet I never noticed, I have spent the last 5 years in a self absorbed misery over my broken hooked nose, and my lop sided ears, it was these things that i was ridiculed for, and hair had never even crossed my mind! I think the point is, Its always something!!!! On this forum I read how much people hate hair loss and how its ruining their lives, and at the moment I fully feel you! i'm terrified... but no more terrified i was 2 years ago over my nose and ears, thinking it couldnt get any worse... (well it turns out it can) theres fat people in just the same state over being fat, big nose people over their nose, disabled poeple, people with scars birth marks. It's all so subjective and this is making me realise that everybody has ****, the alpha males may all have 2 inch dicks we just dont know! I feel I have personally been handed a deifficult set of cards but I know there is people with worse! If I wasnt on this forum, in fairness I'd be just thinking about one of my other negative features...

It's a vicous cycle and I want out...

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Shoot, I never noticed balding either until it started happening to me. I started going back to my childhood church I hadn't been to in years and was surprised to see my pastor was bald, and I recollected him with a full head of hair. Looking at old pictures from my time there he had always been severely balding, I just never noticed those things unless a guy was slick bald.

I don't think most others do either.

ladysmanfelpz

Established Member
Reaction score
I think facial hair can save a baldie and don't know what you are talking about Seb. Sounds like you're from the UK, but facial hair has definitely become more socially acceptable here in the states (as has a full bic on a white guy) and even a must for bald guys. Where corporations used to have strict rules on facial hair for men, they now allow men to style their beard. Keep hair on the face seb. A beard will distract people's eyes from looking at your head and focusing on other flaws. I know what you are talking about with the weird looks everywhere you go, but try to ignore it. Maybe even go to a barber, something many of us probably have not done for a while, and have him shave up your head and style your beard. A professional job on even your beard can make a big difference.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
As much as I love my beard, I would gladly sacrifice it to not need it by having hair on top of my head so I can have a clean face and look like an upright, normal person again. But that's off the table. I will never look normal or acceptable again. I will die a tormented freak.

seb

Reaction score
Yes, I am from the UK. Most eggheads in their 20s/30s are clean shaven, infact most in their 40s are clean shaven. Its mainly the 50s+ that largley sport facial hair(that are bald). Now, whether this is due to the fact that these guys are in a relationship, and thus are not "allowed" to grow anything, havent got enough coverage, are scared too, or simply dont like facial hair....take youre pick. Me personally, I get alot of crap for sporting a goatee(equally from both sexes). Again take youre pick......because Im big, thus making me more intimidating/manly, because im bald, because im fair skin, because its ginger and blond. Gingers are seen in the uk as inferior, ironically as we are a fair-skinned nation(from the celts and norse).

- - - Updated - - -

Tumble-weed.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Lol, are you sure didn't mean to post in the leprosy forums? They are real social outcasts. You have it good

slipy

Reaction score
seb, why did you suddenly leave HairLossTalk.com a year ago without saying anything? some people, myself included, thought you topped yourself considering how dark you were/are.

also a fun fact. the bank whose services i use is called s.e.b.

everytime i look at my credit card im reminded of you.

and reluctantly so, if i may say.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
As much as I love my beard, I would gladly sacrifice it to not need it by having hair on top of my head so I can have a clean face and look like an upright, normal person again. But that's off the table. I will never look normal or acceptable again. I will die a tormented freak.

Isnt that twisted? The fact that you consider a "normal man" to have a beard. Fact: the natural state of men is with beards. You have to use utensils to shave off a beard.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Isnt that twisted? The fact that you consider a "normal man" to have a beard. Fact: the natural state of men is with beards. You have to use utensils to shave off a beard.
Most guys shave their face... and have full heads. That is the standard, natural or not.

seb

Reaction score
A bald man will get more hassle for wearing facial hair, than a man with a full set of hair sporting the aforementioned.

- - - Updated - - -

seb, why did you suddenly leave HairLossTalk.com a year ago without saying anything? some people, myself included, thought you topped yourself considering how dark you were/are.

also a fun fact. the bank whose services i use is called s.e.b.

everytime i look at my credit card im reminded of you.

and reluctantly so, if i may say.

Slipy, I left suddenly as I felt the forum(and my interaction within it) was bringing down even further. Doing my AWOL I have gotten worse, really on the edge. Although I am a survivor and will just have to endure. Just want to get through this life as quickly as possible.
Regarding you thinking of me. With all due respect, that is youre internal issue. I am insignificant too you, and insignificant in the grand scheme of things......a tad-pole.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
A bald man will get more hassle for wearing facial hair, than a man with a full set of hair sporting the aforementioned.

- - - Updated - - -
Because he is a full head they give him the benefit of the doubt and assume his beard is a stylistic choice. With a bald man who has the same beard they will say he is using it as a crutch. Can't win. I can try and tell those idiots that Zach Galafanakis may be hiding his ugly mug or weak chin behind a beard and is that really any better? But they will just shrug it off because their minds are clouded by prejudice.

seb

Reaction score
Yes. When I had a short goatee, one man told me it wasnt a mans beard. When I grew a "real" beard, he berated me further by asking why I want a beard when I am bald.....I have also been told by many people, that I dont suit being clean-shaven. To quote, I look like a pussy, look awful ,look stupid, look like a big baby. What f**king look do society want me too adopt....I am pretty limited!