Baldness and finding a job

baldguy27

Reaction score
I have been unemployed and out of work since October. I'm really starting to worry because I have had a very difficult time finding a job and can't help but wonder if it has something to do with my hairloss. I have been on 15 interviews and still no job. I made it down to the final three candidates in my last three interviews but still no job even though I did everything right: showed up 20 minutes early for the interview, wore a suit, I have a college degree even though it is in sociology, etc but still no job. I'm applying mainly for sales and customer service positions as that is where I have experience. Ironically I have seen the remaining candidates and all have their hair and many were also tall so I can't help but think that I lose out because of my appearance. Has anyone else here been unemployed for a long period of time and wondered the same thing? Even though employers can't admit it by law, I wouldn't be surprised if with all things being equal they chose the candidate with the full head of hair.

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah you are being discriminated against. I saw a show where they sent an overqualified bald guy on the same interview as a guy with all his hair who was underqualified and the bald guy got 0 offers and the guy with hair got about 1/2 of the jobs offered to him.

Luckilly I still have enough hair that I dont have it held against me.

We have never hired a bald guy as long as Ive worked here ( 5 years ).

I suggest getting a rug and wear lifts if you are shorter than average. You cant afford not to if you are unemployed.

G

Bald guy, yes it's true.

I'm now 24. I started losing hair noticeably in 2002. Prior to that, I went on 5 job interviews and got all of them.

Since my hair loss increased in 2002/03 I have been on 7 interviews and never got any of the jobs. Even though I acted better, more careful then I did before my hairloss started to kick in.

Fact is, appearance matters.

10 fold.

It's all that matters to some, and hair just so happens to make a persons appearance. Take for example. Owen Wilson, the actor. He is regarded as good looking/handsome by people, when if he didnt have that hair, he would be regarded as ugly.

All in all, you're right. That's all I can say.
I have a job now, but it took me 7 attempts to get re-employed once my hairloss started to get worse.

Good luck.

mane_man

Reaction score
It's a long time to have been out of work since last October. :( I feel your pain man.

Seriously though CONFIDENCE is the issue here. It sounds like you are way too self aware of your hairloss and are letting it get you down, big time. Big mistake.

Don't get a "rug" though, geez... If hairloss bugs you why not try the shaved looked? There's a lot of people who already do. Check out their confidence.

What I'm saying is have faith in your ability to do the job, not the way you look.

Good luck!

hopewas

Reaction score
no boss gives a sh*t if you're going bald.. what a joke. i'm sure it's guys who interviewed you or old women. they don't give a sh*t. unless you were interviewed to be a model. shut up and grow a set of balls. and go back to school and build a better resume. if it wasn't that it was probably your low confidence show in the interview because of your hairloss that made them pass on you cheers :D

Redbone

Reaction score
Not true hope if it was a public appearance job like sales or customer service he might be at a loss. People want to put the best most attractive people in front of their clients that is why sales is full of hottie chicks. I could never turn one down.

Baldguy use your skills and someone will hire you, you have to make your skills stand out for you more than your appearance. Also I think the bald thing is only relavent in a first impression situation. Once they call you back I dont think they care that you are bald. It never matterd to me and I have hired 100's of people in my career. Keep your hygene good and have a neet appearance and your all set.

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
In sales, they will always prefer someone who is more attractive. I work in the medical field and whenever I see a pharmaceutical rep, they are always nice looking. The men are always tall and thin and have a full head of hair. The women are always nice looking.

However, baldness WILL NOT make you any less effective at sales if you are outgoing and confident! I'm not a salesman, but from my experience a good salesman sells himself(read confidence and ability to convince) not his looks!

Vampa

Reaction score
While being bald MIGHT be a hinderance towards getting a job (especially in sales), I think your biggest problem is your degree. While it's true that employers want degrees, your degree has to be relevant to the job for it to matter.

For example, I want to teach English as a Second Language (to ya know, immigrants). I could get a degree in communications, but a person with an English degree is considerbly closer to the job description. Even then, it would be better to be TESOL certified and a degree in that (the actual major for teaching english to immigrants). So while I may hold a degree in something fairly relevant, like communications, anybody that walks in TESOL certified has a much better chance of gettin gthe job.

If you really want to get into sales, you're going to have to either apply for an entry level job and work your way up (many companies will pay for you to go to college for relevant classes) or bite the bullet and go back to college now and try again.

G

baldguy27 said:
I have been unemployed and out of work since October. I'm really starting to worry because I have had a very difficult time finding a job and can't help but wonder if it has something to do with my hairloss. I have been on 15 interviews and still no job. I made it down to the final three candidates in my last three interviews but still no job even though I did everything right: showed up 20 minutes early for the interview, wore a suit, I have a college degree even though it is in sociology, etc but still no job. I'm applying mainly for sales and customer service positions as that is where I have experience. Ironically I have seen the remaining candidates and all have their hair and many were also tall so I can't help but think that I lose out because of my appearance. Has anyone else here been unemployed for a long period of time and wondered the same thing? Even though employers can't admit it by law, I wouldn't be surprised if with all things being equal they chose the candidate with the full head of hair.

This is a big so-what. Folks do or don't get jobs based on all sorts of discrminating factors, weight, appearance, experience, education, etc.

You got what you got, deal with it.

Stingray

Reaction score
Gotta love construction :)

Just got hired on as a foreman in my trade... 24 bucks an hour. These guys were practically sucking my c*** to get me to sign up with them.

Not what you look like that matters, (even though I've got looks that rival a greek god... not to be narcissistic or anything) it's your SKILL that matters.

Stingray

Reaction score
But I digress... Perhaps a change in career is necessary if the field you're looking in won't pick you up... you won't regret a good construction job. Best exercise you'll ever get paid for too.

People being afraid to change their careers is one of the main reasons the unemployment rate is so "high".

G

Stingray said:
But I digress... Perhaps a change in career is necessary if the field you're looking in won't pick you up... you won't regret a good construction job. Best exercise you'll ever get paid for too.

People being afraid to change their careers is one of the main reasons the unemployment rate is so "high".

And they can't ship your job over to India either!

:lol: