Balding men's hairstyles

stepbehind

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Alright, I'm about a Norwood 2-3 with some slight thinning at the back of my head and thinning in the front as well. Now, I'm trying to find a hairstyle since my old one isn't working...especially with the balding that's going on.

Right now my hairs pretty long cuz I figured that I should have long hair once in my life until I lose it all. But it's beginning to look like failed attempts at a combover. You know what I'm talking about, those old guys that have really long hair on the sides but none on top. And you're like "what the f*** is up with that guys hair?". Yeah...so...what kind of hairstyles have you guys found that work for you?

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing a guy who had a receding hairline and a bit of a bald spot and he had it cut pretty short but styled it in that faux-hawk way so its kinda like a shark finasteride. It was pretty short though but it suited him well I mean you could still tell he was losing his hair but it looked good regardless of hair count.

Spikey hair is always a winner.

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...i part my hair from left to right....but dont hide my hair line...towards the right side..it its combed back...its usually us that think more about the hair line...but others dont notice it that much.
If you choose to keep side parting..dont let your hair long on sides..a number 1 or 2 is good..and on top keep it to like between 1 and 2 inches.
The other option is that u cud buzz your hair to a number 1 from sides, back...till vertex..and on top keep the hair to like 1-2 cms...but dont comb it...let it fall down...its much great if you got curly hair...that still looks pretty ok with receeders. Mind you..that this style wont work if you have a bald patch at vertex.

stepbehind

Reaction score
Personally, I was thinking of using a number two on my entire head. I don't think I can pull off the shark finasteride approach...it's unfortunate that the only styles us balders can have is to cut our hair short. But you're scared to cut your hair short because people might begin to notice just how bald you actually are. That's my situation anyways.

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Im a norwood 2...and i have the faux hawk you talk about........although mine is alittle different.........my hair all around is about 2 inches long.....i do the "shark finasteride "as you call it up top...but not as aggressive as you think...then i puff out the hair on the sides of my head......its so messed up and high lighted no one can tell im thinning at all....

..and just for reference sack...use a paste or pomade as your styling gels.

Deaner

Reaction score
sometimes the lengths you go to to disguise your thinning look more ridiculous than just letting your thinning hang out...

So long Hair

Reaction score
blue said:
Im a norwood 2...and i have the faux hawk you talk about........although mine is alittle different.........my hair all around is about 2 inches long.....i do the "shark finasteride "as you call it up top...but not as aggressive as you think...then i puff out the hair on the sides of my head......its so messed up and high lighted no one can tell im thinning at all....

..and just for reference sack...use a paste or pomade as your styling gels.

That's exactly wht I do, too! Works a treat, don't it?

misterium

Reaction score
pomade is cool (I use Murray's Hair-Glo), it's become 'part of' my hair though, and doesn't wash-out in the shower with shampoos.. so with nizoral and stuff, it's not so much foamy in my hair, but I KNOW it's there on the scalp, wet and soaking into the skin.

pomades are strange things.. i like em'. greasy pillow-sheets ;)

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I use pomades too but not too much.

The messy look works very well for me. I am 26 and I can get away with it on all occasions. I had a hair transplant 5 months ago (i had SEVERE temproal recession.) and I use Toppik when I get out of the shower, then pat it down. I then use a little gel and the Toppik spray to style my hair up in the front and messy in the back and sides.

I only use the Toppik on the back, however (My hair transplant was only from the ears forward). Try some different things. I have found that my hair looks the best at 1.5 to 2 inches in length.

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yes the faux hawk works for me...for now..but i use paste instead of pomade ....to much pomade makes your hair to shinny and wet looking

G

Deaner said:
sometimes the lengths you go to to disguise your thinning look more ridiculous than just letting your thinning hang out...

right on brother D. [highfive]•[/highfive]

pleasehelpme

Established Member
Reaction score
pomade and wax + all that other really sticky stuff tangles my hairs together and when i try to style it, it pulls it out and it kidna hurts...

i have to use light gels or gel/spray due to that.

is there any brand of wax/pomade/putty that won't get my hair all caught up?

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dude how the hell are you styling your hair where they would get tangling and hurt in the first place :?

G

in the UK, we don't have any of these fancy American hair products, we just spit in out hands and rub it through, worked for my grandfather and his grandfather so why not?

misterium

Reaction score
If you apply the pomade while your hair is still nice n' wet.. it makes a huge difference while combing it through or pushing it with your fingers.

Wet is the key. :)

Otherwise, pomade does tend to 'pull'... yes.

I'm thinking that you should try Murray's brand products.. they've been around for a LONG time (early 1900's) Do a google.com search for Murray's Pomade.

I personally have only tried, and am currently using their 'Hair-Glo' pomade.. though I wish to try their Nu Nile, and Original formulas.

After you have your hair wet and apply it, your hair will 'dry' to a nice, shiny/soft finish... it will look nice, but be greasy.

Pomades are cool, they're different than gels and allow different styles... they're probably better for your hair too cause they're just lanolin and coconut oil and what not.. Hair-Glo is a wax-free type pomade from Murray's (the one I'm currently using)..

Some pomades have wax and some do not. They also sell Bee's Wax type, and other natural conditioners. Matt Dillion is said to be partial to the Beeswax formula.

It doesn't get hard like gel :)

I wear pomade well I suppose because I'm what you'd call a greaser, Italian guy so I can kinda 'pull it off'.. plus I just like it.

misterium

Reaction score
I think I need to get some new stuff the Hair-Glo is good but I need a better hold, as this one is softer/lighter.

Original should to the trick.. that's the old school stuff, 1930's slickster sh*t.

pleasehelpme

Established Member
Reaction score
yea.. blue it hurts but its better than looking like a bum... but now with this damn thinning. dunno which looks worse

and thanks a lot for the tip iwantmyhair... ill try that

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
I use this stuff called matrix Trix works great holds where you set it etc etc

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
seriously, i feel like a hair loss veteran, and i've toyed with the idea of different hair styles so many times

make it easy on yourself, shave it short and just live with that, you're going to look like your balding no matter what you do to your hair, might as well show people (or pretend rather =) ) that you dont care you're losing your hair

Reaction score
A very common yet practical hairstyle is to keep hair relatively short and comb forward. Spiking up is recommended. Style when it is just about to dry.