[b]Newbie[/b]

tonyg

Reaction score
i have been taking revivogen for over a year...i havent seen any new hair regrowth but i think it might of slowed down hair loss...but who really knows...i am going to start taking minoxidil...does anyone have any feed bck on known side-affects i should be aware of....how bout vitamins...i heard zinc or Grape Seed / Green Tea ,MSM - 1000mg/day
Mega Man Vitamins - 1.5/d...i guess u get that stuff at GNC or cvs?...right?..what other viatmins are good to take...how bout shampoo..i am aware of NANO and Nizoral...anything else..what is a good shampoo/conditioner for like the off days..i hear that shampoos without sodium laureth (lauryl) sulfate are good for u..that stuff is a harsh cleanser....there is just so much info in these posts that it is overwhelming..any new advice would be apprecitaed..i wanna get off on the right foot

thinstinks

Established Member
Reaction score
saw palmetto, its like a DHT inhibitor (sort of)
a good multi ( with lots of vit B's, zinc, biotin, niacin, sh*t like that)
nizoral 2-3X week
Nano other days
Progaine is an alright thickener (nothing for hair loss but makes my hair feel okay)
i havent tried MSM but i guess it grows you hair quicker

give these a shot or pick and choose but def get on saw palmettoand the multi's

bombscience

Reaction score
Tony,

The only proven hairloss treatments with good supporting data are:

Propecia (Finasteride)
Minoxidil

and there is good supporting data about using Nizoral for scalp condition.

Supplements are not as researched, and definitely not FDA approved. There is good evidence that Saw Palmetto reduces the amount of DHT and helps prevent Prostate cancer, but there is no direct evidence that it helps male pattern baldness. MSM will only help your hair grow faster, something you may be interested in after you have shed on Minoxidil. As for antioxidants and other supplements, that's all up to you. Sometimes I feel like they're doing nothing, but they should be helping "theoretically".

Megamen vitamins seem to work well for me. They keep a good libido going (yes sex was good this morning) and seem to help my mind focus. As for hairloss, who knows...

You can get all this stuff at GNC but it gets expensive quick. I know that I saw Saw Palmetto at Costco that was $7 for 300 80mg pills. Great deal. I would start with that suppliment, but be aware that many users have experienced emotional mood swings from it.

tonyg

Reaction score
hey thanks for the quick feedback..i will look into getting those products...hopefully all of our knowledge will help us get through this burden...anymore advice is greatly appreciated

Grantspots

Established Member
Reaction score
The best advice I can give is to make informed decisions and be patient. Understand the possible side effects before embarking and make the commitment to stick with a program for at least a year. All too often, we start a regimen, get freaked by the initial effects and then make dramatic changes before riding out the "transitional" phase.

Unless you have radical adverse reactions to a drug - see Bombscience and Minoxidil - once you get past the initial introductory phase, then you should think of the process as a series of fine tuning.

Also, remember that the collective advice you get here is based on general experience and is right for the majority of people but we are all individuals and not everybody reacts the same way. Only you, and your Dr. (if he's any good) can judge what's best FOR YOU.

jerry grant

G

tonyg said:
i have been taking revivogen for over a year...i havent seen any new hair regrowth but i think it might of slowed down hair loss...but who really knows...i am going to start taking minoxidil...does anyone have any feed bck on known side-affects i should be aware of....how bout vitamins...i heard zinc or Grape Seed / Green Tea ,MSM - 1000mg/day
Mega Man Vitamins - 1.5/d...i guess u get that stuff at GNC or cvs?...right?..what other viatmins are good to take...how bout shampoo..i am aware of NANO and Nizoral...anything else..what is a good shampoo/conditioner for like the off days..i hear that shampoos without sodium laureth (lauryl) sulfate are good for u..that stuff is a harsh cleanser....there is just so much info in these posts that it is overwhelming..any new advice would be apprecitaed..i wanna get off on the right foot

See my routine below. This has worked well for me.

Thanks and Good luck

tonyg

Reaction score
has anyone had experience with revivogen....u think it is a good DHT blocker or am i wasting my money

G

tonyg said:
has anyone had experience with revivogen....u think it is a good DHT blocker or am i wasting my money

I believe the collective experience with this product is neutral to negative. There are much better products for male pattern baldness.

See my routine below as one example of a proven regimine that has worked for me.

Good luck

G

tonyg said:

From the skin biology website

Revivogen? Scalp Therapy

Revivogen is promoted as a "clinically proven" product. But there appears to be no studies on Revivogen but rather a smattering of references implying that the inclusion of certain ingredients such as saw palmetto oil, zinc, and other ingredients somehow means that Revivogen promotes hair growth and hair health. But there are no published studies on the product itself.

The main problem with is product is the use of zinc. Zinc may promote hair growth when it acts as a skin irritant but skin irritation has long term negative consequences. Zinc can also drive out copper and this may damage your hair and speed aging in your body.

See also Arnold Diaz of 20/20 ABC News - "The Truth About Hair Growth Products" - Avacor, Hair Advantage, Hair Genesis, Hair-Zx

Too much zinc may damage your hair and speed aging in your body.

Copper deficiency in animals causes increased cellular oxidation, increased cancer, increased cardiovascular risk, more atherosclerosis, higher LDL-cholesterol, decreased HDL-cholesterol, more lipid oxidation, aortic aneurysms, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, chronic conditions involving bone and connective tissue, brain defects in newborn, obesity, graying of hair, increased sensitivity to pain, obesity, and reproductive problems. See more below.

In humans, copper deficiency is associated with all of the previous plus depression, impaired brain function, and general fatigue. For more information, please visit http://www.skinbiology.com/copperhealth.html.

Copper is usually in short supply in the body and high zinc usage drives copper from the body and can produce copper deficiency.

Expected effect of excessive zinc ingestion patterns Regimen Effect Expected effects of lower copper
High zinc usage Competes for with copper for binding sites
and lowers copper in tissues Lose main anti-oxidant defense,
Less active Cu,Zn-superoxide dismuatse
Energy production drops,
Immune system defects,
More carcinogenesis,
More cancer,
Less endorphin - higher pain,
Brain defects in newborns,
More degenerative disease

Studies have found that ionic zinc can inhibit 5-alpha reductase (type I) but zinc has no effect on type II reductase). Some studies have found that the combination of B6, zinc salts and azelaic acid, even at low concentrations, caused a 90% inhibition of 5-alpha reductase activity - but this is still not hair growth. In some persons zinc salts are often used in disorders related to excess DHT such as acne and prostrate hyperplasia. The topical application of zinc has shown to reduce sebum production and acne. Some people suffering from acne have been found to have zinc deficiencies in their skin, despite of the fact that they have normal levels within their bloodstream.

The effects of topical zinc on hair growth may be due to skin irritation actions. In the 1970's, a number of severe skin irritants, such as nitrobenzene derivatives, were investigated for hair growth properties. While they initially stimulated hair growth, they ultimately produced unacceptable scalp damage and irritation and could not be continued for use.

Zinc salts can inhibit the action of the immune system macrophages on the skin. Since the macrophages are key cell responsible for skin repair, excessive use of zinc salts on the skin could inhibit skin and hair follicle repair. Mulhern et al 1986 reported that excessive dietary zinc in mice reduced plasma copper and induced alopecia. Lansdown 1991 (Westminster Medical School, Department of Comparative Biology, London, UK) examined the dermal irritancy of six zinc compounds was examined in three animal models. In open patch tests involving five daily applications, zinc chloride (1% aqueous solution) was severely irritant in rabbit, guinea-pig and mouse tests, inducing epidermal hyperplasia and ulceration; aqueous zinc acetate (20%) was slightly less irritant. Zinc oxide (20% suspension dilute Tween 80), zinc sulphate (1% aqueous solution) and zinc pyrithione (20% suspension) were not overtly irritant, but induced a marginal epidermal hyperplasia and increased hair growth. Thus, hair growth effects observed with zinc may be secondary to dermal irritation. (Lansdown AB, Interspecies variations in response to topical application of selected zinc compounds, Food Chem Toxicol 1991 Jan; 29 (1): 57-64)

Like zinc, topical cortisone has been used to promote hair growth and is often reasonable effective in persons with inflammatory scalp conditions. But cortisone stops skin repair and, if used for an extended period, ultimately thins the skin, damages hair follicles, and causes hair loss.