At what age to start "The Big 3"?

jpmorgan

Reaction score
Hi,

I am 25 years old, and I started using Propecia 1mg/day, Minoxidil 2x/day, and Nizoral one year ago. My hairline has receeded about two inches at the temples (from ages 20-24), and I have some diffuse thinning on top and some thinning at the vertex. I would probably be a lot better off had I started treatment earlier. So far I've been seeing moderate results, mostly in the crown area.

My brother will be turning 20 soon, and I've told him to start paying attention to his hairline if he wants to be able start treatment early in case of hair loss. He is starting to get some slight thinning in the temple areas, and I'm trying to help him decide whether to start The Big 3 regimen.

From what I've read on here, Propecia tends to be effective for about 5 years, and Minoxidil for about 1-2 years.

Assuming the Propecia/minoxidil/nizoral works for him and he's able to maintain his hairline, crown, and top areas, should he be OK well into his 30s? Or will his male pattern baldness "resume" at age 25 or so? I'm not sure whether to recommend that he starts now or wait to see if it gets any worse. I guess the obvious solution would be to start as early as possible; but if his hair loss will resume several years down the road as the treatment becomes less effective, it's hard to say.

Any advice?

NilesTilden

Established Member
Reaction score
If I were him and I'd just started seeing a bit of thinning, I'd start off with minoxidil 1 x a day. See if that could keep the hair good for as long as possible before going to 2 x a day and adding finasteride at some point as needed.

He shouldn't quit minoxidil or he could suffer a shed of the minoxidil hairs (they say overall hair density does rebound to where it would've been w/out minoxidil).

I think both drugs can maintain results for many years. From what I've read on minoxidil, (as Bryan says) it provides an offset of hair growth but doesn't interfere with the balding process caused by dht.

In most cases minoxidil won't recruit new hairs after 1-2 years, but can maintain most new growth for years with some losses. I'm at 15 months on minoxidil and expect to keep my new growth/thickening for a good long time. They seem quite solid.