Are transplants still worth doing in 2016 with Histogen and Replicel on the Horizon?

lynney45

Established Member
Reaction score
I put down a deposit on a hair transplant with Shapiro medical back in 2015 with surgery scheduled for summer 2016.

I am wondering if a hair transplant is still worth doing in 2016 now that Replicel and Histogen are on the horizon?

I am 30 years old with a NW3 and have maintenance. For a NW3 i think i will need around 2000 grafts to correct it. However i am torn between going ahead with the procedure this summer or waiting it out till next year or 2018 on Histogen and Replicel (and i know there are no guarantees on these launch dates).

If i go ahead with the procedure this summer will it be possible to backfill my donor supply with Histogen or Replicel where i have had FUE grafts taken to give me back a full head of hair, when these products come to market?

What are everyones opinions with regard to my dilemma would you guys wait it out or go ahead with the procedure this summer?

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Really would not be banking on these treatments like that. We don't really have any idea if they'll be as good as proposed, and even if they do make it, I don't think they'll be commercially available for at least another 3 or 4 years.

AbuAktar

Banned
Reaction score
Having seen the results on some of these websites I would say transplant surgery hasn't progressed to the level that it should. I would save your money as a transplant can be risky and can give you unsatisfying results if expectations are too high.

shookwun

Reaction score
let's be honest these 'cures' are not going to be available in 2017.

If they were, the hair restoration organization would be the first to know and preparing through more efficient costs.

Hair transplants aren't going anywhere, and if anything they are more costly then ever.

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Go for the transplant OP.

I don't believe anything in terms of new cures till it's on the shelf at Walmart/able to be prescribed/performed by a doctor. Everything else is just speculation.

arfy

Established Member
Reaction score
I guess I need to lurk in the "experimental treatments" forum to understand why there are so many posts on PRP, Replicel and Histogen now.

I honestly believe some of these tech companies lie or exaggerate their findings, as a way to pump up investment funding. Replicel and Histogen haven't delivered any benefits for hair loss in the past, and I think that trend will continue.

follicle2001

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes. Do not make the mistake of waiting for something that may never come to fruition. Use what you have now-big 3 or hair transplant- if you want to do something about your hair.

rambo007

Reaction score
Has anyone wondered, from scientifical/biological point of view, in what way hair transplant could be a blocker for future treatments like Replicel, Histogen, SM?

Swoop? Do you see any conflicts between hair transplant and future treatments?

lynney45

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the previous comments and for touching on this rambo, i also attempted to touch on this point in the second part of my original post, wondering if it would be possible to back fill the donor density and add to the density on top with Replicel or Histogen after a hair transplant. However you asked this question in a more precise and constructive way Rambo. Again Swoop what would be your thoughts on this please?

shookwun

Reaction score
My surgeon out right told me these cures will never be on the shelves of the store any time soon. to much money in this industry at the cost of peoples insecurities.

it's a billion dollar + annual industry.

lynney45

Established Member
Reaction score
My surgeon out right told me these cures will never be on the shelves of the store any time soon. to much money in this industry at the cost of peoples insecurities.

Replicel and histogen aren't treatments that will be sold on the shelves of stores though..

wilson2

Established Member
Reaction score

I don't necessarily disagree with that assessment. However to be fair your surgeon had a vested interest.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
@ramboo007 and lynney45,

A miniaturized hair follicle lies around ~2mm depth. So I assume a hair transplant would damage some of these miniaturized hair follicles (not all of them).

The real question is however are the current pipeline treatments going to regrow hair in such a fashion that they can be compared to hair transplants in cosmetic results? My answer to that; HELL NO. I hate to say that but it's most likely going to be the most realistic scenario.

Lynney45 you are scheduled with Shapiro right in the summer? I'll speak to you next year. I'll bet that you'll be extremely happy. 2K grafts won't make much of an impact on your donor too.

No sense in waiting many years if you are unhappy with the state of your hair guys, at least that is my opinion.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score

Lol your hair transplant surgeon? I'm not surprised he told you that, it's in his interests that better treatments don't come out. He is right in the sense they will not be here for another year and a half earliest. But I wouldn't say that is very far away, however I don't think Histogen will be anywhere near as good as they promise, and as Replicel is a maintenance treatment not a growth stimulant, it should not be relevant for this topic.

arfy

Established Member
Reaction score
A real hair loss treatment would make billions, and profits would make the transplant business look puny in comparison. Only a tiny fraction of balding guys decide to get hair transplants, but a real cure for hair loss would be a massive seller. The reason a "cutting edge" treatment won't be available anytime soon isn't because there's too much money being made in hair transplantation - it's because hair follicles are highly complicated structures.

losingit1974

Reaction score
And do what with the money you saved? Spending 5000€ to get 5000 hairs back on the top of my head was the best choice I've ever made.

Let me guess, you're probably not bald to say something like this. If you were, you would know this immutable truth: some hair is always better than no hair.

Do you mind me asking where you got 5000 hairs for just 5000 euros?

sharpguy

Reaction score
I am also considering a hair transplant this year. I am also 30 years old. I feel that this is the time in our lives when you wanna look the best. These new treatments could work, however how many treatments promised the world, to come out to be nothing better then the same treatments that we currently have. Just my opinon.

Deadman1

Established Member
Reaction score
Ever since the 1500s we have been told a cure for baldness is 5 years away. It has been pretty much confirmed that there will be no cure for baldness for anyone who is alive today. They can't even stop hair loss or turn vellus hairs into normal strong hair. Hell, they can't even cure grey hair.