apple procyanidin could be super treatment

CCS

Reaction score
http://www.applepoly.com/procyanidin-b-2/

that site is just an advertisement, which detracts from its credibility, but it lists studies. has anyone heard anything else about this, or care to do further research? Does anyone know how many apples someone would have to eat to get these doses?

CCS

Reaction score
I hope those supplements are legit. They are all inexpensive. I'd like to use a combo of each topically and maybe orally for general health.

AussieExperiment

Established Member
Reaction score
Which is better

H/B said:

H/B the swansonvitamins product contains 60 x 125mg tablets for 11.99. Whereas the applepoly product contains 60 x 500 mg tablets for $39.95.

Therefore you would need to take 4 of the swansonvitamins tablets per day to equal 2 of the applepoly tablets. If you do this swansonvitamins is still cheaper but not by alot.

Then you have to ask yourself which is the better quality product. This is the million dollar question which no one really knows.

I would really like to try applepoly, but I do not want to fall victim to a snake oil salesmen. Is this product for real? Apart from the applepoly website, I have not seen any photographic evidence of procyanidin B-2 working on Humans.

what to do. what to do

So

Established Member
Reaction score
College,

The Apple Poly website is designed in a traditional Internet marketing fashion as I have stated before in various posts.

I know how these sites work from top to bottom and I should considering this is in part my industry field and profession.

These sites are designed to make people buy and buy the do!

For most unseasoned Internet users and even some well seasoned veterans it is hard to escape the stranglehold of Internet marketing and sales copy techniques.

Most of you here on this forum are skeptical to begin with as a result of previous experiences which may include failed treatments or run-ins with other snake oil merchants, so you are already alert to the fact, what ever that fact may be.

Despite what I know about sites like Apple Poly, I still went ahead and ordered six months worth of the topical and internal booster capsules.

Why? I am eager to put this product to the test as I have said if it can work for me it will work for anyone I am very certain of that.

Another worthy point to realize is that the price of Apple Poly is likely inflated allowing for profits to be paid to referring affiliates as is almost always the case with such Internet marketed product lines.

This then begs the question however of whether or not Apple Poly's product is as cost effective as other brands, well as I originally wrote in http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... c&start=11 my compariso between Swansons Procyanidin B2 vs Apple Poly's Procyanidin B2 still left Apple Poly in front despite the allowed "buffer" for affiliate dollars.

Efficiency, purity, potency, etc, these are all key factors that must be measured against each of these Procyanidin B2 products offered. David from Apple Poly assures his products quality and I have quizzed him lightly via e-mail (all context taken with a grain of salt of course).

On a final note I believe what we need to be looking at is the mechanism by which Procyanidin B2 functions and this is by inhibiting TGF-Beta from what I have read.

Did you read that new post by Michael Barry? http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... hp?t=33524

It is highly relevant considering this topic and TGF-Beta and you will also notice that Docj077 chimes in with a post confirming the relationship between the study and TGF-Beta, who has been a strong advocate of inhibiting the TGF-Beta pathway from much of what I've read.

It would appear that some complexities of hair loss are slowly becoming clearer to us.

mumuka

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys i wish all applepoly users good luck and lots of regrowth.
What is bothering me is that every single study on these Procyanidins were done by 2 scientists: Takahashi and Kimamura. If you check the autors of the studies you will find one or the other or both names .They say that compared to minoxidil it is up to 200% better.If thats true thats is fantastic ,but the question is that after so many years how come nobody studied the procyanidins effect on hair,just these scientists?

That being said i`m glad that So ordered applepoly and will let us know if it is working for him or not.I hope they do really work because i`m so ready to drop Propecia and a bunch of other stuff...

Whyatt

Established Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of snakeoilers in this business, that's for sure! However, I think the applepoly products can be of great value, read:

http://www.applepoly.com/2007/3k/procya ... growth.htm
http://www.applepoly.com/2007/6o0/
http://www.applepoly.com/2007/6o0/new_t ... cience.htm

I need some of you highly respected forum kings to check these links and do some kind of summary, have fun :)

Aussie: Isn't it more correct so say that 1 applepoly capsule is equivalent to 4 Swanson capsules (by weight)?

The ORAC assays for each product is highly important because it makes it possible to compare the relative speed and power of different antioxidant substances, especially water-soluble compunds. I can find information about applepoly easily, however, for other manufacturers it seems a bit harder? Scary.

I will evaluate these products for at least 6 months, wish me luck combating my male pattern baldness :)

Wikipedia on ORAC:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_Rad ... e_Capacity

docj077

Reaction score
mumuka said:
Guys i wish all applepoly users good luck and lots of regrowth.
What is bothering me is that every single study on these Procyanidins were done by 2 scientists: Takahashi and Kimamura. If you check the autors of the studies you will find one or the other or both names .They say that compared to minoxidil it is up to 200% better.If thats true thats is fantastic ,but the question is that after so many years how come nobody studied the procyanidins effect on hair,just these scientists?

That being said i`m glad that So ordered applepoly and will let us know if it is working for him or not.I hope they do really work because i`m so ready to drop Propecia and a bunch of other stuff...

To be honest, the limited number of scientists working on this worries me, as well.

However, even if applepoly isn't the answer at least we're starting to grasp how this whole process might be working. If we're right, then the future is looking pretty bright. If we're not right, then we still have more work to do. It's as simple as that.

CCS

Reaction score
B2 was used at 1% or higher in the studies. B2 is just one of many anti-oxidants in apple poly. the other ones might not be as effective. We are probably getting a lot less than 1% B2 in apple poly. I'm sure it is still helpful, but I doubt we will get the good results of those studies. Did the studies actually use applepoly or just pure B2?

Whyatt

Established Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
However, even if applepoly isn't the answer at least we're starting to grasp how this whole process might be working. If we're right, then the future is looking pretty bright. If we're not right, then we still have more work to do. It's as simple as that.

I agree with you Doctor. At least we are heading in the right direction, or at least the second best direction, the best direction would be the office where a good psychologist works :)

:freaked2:

BH 90 NWtwo 10

Established Member
Reaction score
what worries me... is that extrodenarly potent SYNTHETIC apple fragrence.. almost like there trying to prove extra hard it comes from apples... no way thats a real smell

Optimist

Established Member
Reaction score
Good point. It would not make sense for it to smell like apples if it is just and extract of the procyandin and yet it looks and smells like apple juice. Yeah its probly a scam, oh well, it gives me something to hope in until the next scam comes along.

CCS

Reaction score
BH 90 NWtwo 10 said:
what worries me... is that extrodenarly potent SYNTHETIC apple fragrence.. almost like there trying to prove extra hard it comes from apples... no way thats a real smell

the stuff from beyond-a-century smells and tastes like GTE, though a bit different, and a little lighter in color.

CCS

Reaction score
Optimist said:
Good point. It would not make sense for it to smell like apples if it is just and extract of the procyandin and yet it looks and smells like apple juice. Yeah its probly a scam, oh well, it gives me something to hope in until the next scam comes along.

Yeah, well pay $18 for 25g for now. Mix up your own if you want. I don't believe they can make 5% since I can't.

So

Established Member
Reaction score
I am taking 3 capsules per day, in four months total I should yield results hands down. If not, surely this sh*t does not work.

Interesting point about the smell of the topical. Apples indeed. Seems strange if you ask me.

Optimist

Established Member
Reaction score
After I saw the post about the smell being synthetic I paid attention to it and noticed how very perfume like it smells if you smell it up front. Also, fragrance is listed as an ingredient. But I don't think it really matters in regards to the efficacy of the product.

Optimist

Established Member
Reaction score
So said:
I am taking 3 capsules per day, in four months total I should yield results hands down. If not, surely this $#iT does not work.

Interesting point about the smell of the topical. Apples indeed. Seems strange if you ask me.

Do you think taking 3 a day is any better than 2? I noticed that the info. in the packet talked about how you can take as many as you want, but I figured that was bs to make people buy more.

So

Established Member
Reaction score
I am waiting on a further response from David to clarify his thoughts aside from the studies on whether there is any major benefit in an increased dosage or whether it is excreted over and above the maximum absorption rate.