Anyone seeing Dr Rogers in the UK?

carter

Established Member
Reaction score
I know there was a number of posters who were seeing Dr R and I was just wondering how you're getting on after the consultations?

I decided to proceed in November, one month after my consultation. I've arranged to go through the strip procedure end of this month. Feeling a bit nervous but reassured I'm dealling with a professional.

mattj

Established Member
Reaction score
Did Dr Rogers have many before and after photos to show you at the consultation? The lack of pictures on his site is the main reason I decided to probably go elsewhere.

carter

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Matt

Dr R showed me the pictures he already has on the site at the consultation. So yes I guess he doesn't show a lot.

I'm not sure how best to view it, if he had more examples, from a cynical perspective these can always be specially selected. At the end of the day only the best results would be shown so how reassuring are lots of pictures?

I've decided on him because I'd heard good reports initially on this website and when I met him in October he was very professional and as has been often said undersells himself. His staff all appear very dedicated too - I got no feeling of being fodder.

I thought there was a possibility people could be promoting him on this board (though I had no reason to think this might be the case other than a bit of healthy cynicism) which is why I wanted to meet him myself. I've never seen any bad reports, only fair praise for his work and he seems well regarded in the profession. Being President of The Trichologist Society for 2005/6 can't be a bad thing either.

People that have bad experiences surely would always reach a board like this. The only criticism of his practice I've seen is that he undersells his service which to me suggests he doesn't have to push it, he has satisfied patients - there can be no better ambassadors for promoting his practice.

If I was you I'd certainly meet him to make up your mind.

whiskey

Established Member
Reaction score
Good luck mate.

I'm booked in with Dr Rogers for my last FUE session near the end of Feb.
My first two sessions have grown in nicely & the third session is now coming through. This last session should finish me off.
Strip will always be the way to get the big numbers of grafts in one go though.
I've sort of got used to the 400+ mile round journey & stop over to get my surgery done. That combined with my relaxing day of laying face down & chilling out, I'll probably miss it a bit :)

I also wish Dr Rogers would push himself a bit harder & get more photos but he's so reserved that he usually daren't ask the patient if it's ok to take them.

carter

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Whiskey I haven't taken any pictures myself but I spoke to one of his staff and for my own benefit I understand he will take pics of "before" and I'd like to get copies so I can clearly see the difference.

I'm up in Glasgow so it's a 5 hour journey down. Needless to say I'll be staying at a hotel the night before! I don't mind the journey as when I listen to my CDs the time passes quickly and it's just about motorway all the way.

I haven't met any of his patients - I guess I'm looking for reassurance that those who've had surgery feel no regret. Did you meet any patients prior to surgery?

Anyway if I look at the alternative I know I want to go ahead. I think some people look ok bald but I think my hairline adds considerably to my appearance and I want it back!

whiskey

Established Member
Reaction score
Carter
I still have one more session to go as well as a fair bit of waiting for it to grow through (in general FUE seems to take longer to grow than strip) but even at this unfinished stage I'm much happier than I was two years ago. I seem to be happier in general too & have grown in confidence since I started seeing hair growing in places where there hasn't been any for ages. I'm certainly glad I made the push to get it done. I sometimes wish I'd done it sooner.
In a years time I'm going to be SO handsome :lol:

I've spoken with a few of Rogers' patients & they are all very happy.

carter

Established Member
Reaction score
Description of my first proceedure with Dr Rogers of Rogers Medical in Stratford. Bit of a long post but might be helpful?:

Well I travelled down the 5 hour journey to Stratford on Thursday and was ready for my Friday 9.30am appointment with Dr Rogers. My procedure was a 2000 graft strip surgery.

I took his advice and had a good breakfast prior to arrival which settled my nerves. I was offered a cup of tea/coffee on entrance and completed the disclaimer confirming I understood the methodology of the procedure. Dr R then sat with me in his consultation room to answer any concerns I might have. As previously mentioned Dr R only sees one patient a day so that he gives his full attention to that individual.

I was nervous however I found both Dr R and his team very friendly and certainly put me at ease. I explained to him one of my key concerns was that the end result would look natural. He showed me where he would place the hairline, in my case there was still sufficient hairs in place to give the outline of the hairline which he used as guidance. He recommended the placing of the hairline just in front of the existing line which I was happy with. I had also asked for reassurance that grafts would be placed in the direction of my existing hair. Dr R reassued me that would be carried out. I also asked what graft potential I had and Dr R reckoned in my case if need be, potentially 7000 grafts at outset.

After my initial chat with Dr R one of his team led me to my private waiting area where my blood pressure was checked. Dr R then took photos of my existing hairline from all angles to compare with the post op photos six months from now.

My main concern was the idea of the strip surgery. As I was sat in the chair Dr R put me totally at ease as he carried out the procedure. The only sensation I felt was the local anasthetic needles being applied at outset. I don't think I could have stomached actually seeing the strip procedure but I will say it was pain free.

After removal of the strip Dr R then proceeded with the closure and I could feel a tightening of my skin at that point but nothing severe.

After that initial phase I then was given half an hour for lunch back in the private waiting area. Some sandwiches had been provided. In the room there was a book filled with various hand written comments from previous patients. There's some unusual but interesting comments in the book such as one patient who tied his hands before he went to bed so he wouldn't scratch his head!

Overall the comments reflected the experience I had. It's a relaxed atmosphere with a very professional but also friendly approach.

I then returned for the graft procedure and Dr R applied the local anathetic once more which was the only sensation I felt before he started on the micro incisions. As described by someone else I just heard those little "snick" noises as each pin prick insertion was made, there was no pain. I believe normally one application of the anasthetic is required but an hour later I felt some sensations as grafts were applied - Dr R then immediately applied more anasthetic.

Throughout the whole procedure I was checked to see I was ok.

Following Dr R completing the first set of micrograft incisions his staff then started placing the grafts. Dr R keeping an eye on progress. This whole second phase took about 4.5 to 5 hours to make the incisions and place place the grafts.

I was then led back to the waiting area, given a cup of tea and biscuits to raise my blood sugar level and instructions to follow. One of which was to keep the graft area moist on the day following surgery. I believe this may help the healing process but it certainly removed any itchy sensation so it's been great for that reason alone.

Perhaps the only thing I would have liked to have known is that it was necessary to trim the hair a bit to allow for grafts to be placed, it may well have been mentioned but I possibly missed that. As you'd expect I'm a bit sensitive of looking a little balder on top initially. I realised it would be tough to place grafts without a little trimming from the diffuse nature of my balding.

I guess I'm a bit concerned I'm going to look a little more obviously thin on top when I return to the office which may well attract comment as people "pull my leg". Still I'm happy to accept this on the basis of the gradual improvement.

I was helped place on a baseball cap before departure to conceal and protect the surgery and given swabs and paracetamol as well as the water spray and instructions to follow.

It took me about almost 6 hours, an extra hour on top to get home because I left about the rush hour, my travelling distance being about 329 miles back up to Glasgow. The good thing is that it's all motorway fortunately.

I preferred getting back home rather than staying at a hotel for the evening I thought this would minimise any potential damage to my grafts.
The last 100 miles were the toughest, the journey back seemed twice as long as the journey down.

This is now Day 3 (Day 1 being the procedure itself) and tommorow I will take my first shower allowing water to gently run through the grafts. I'm planning going back to the office on Friday but it depends on how I look by then. If there's no signs of the surgery then I will go back otherwise I'll leave it to the following Monday.

I haven't told anyone I know about my decision to go through the procedure. My reason being they would only worry not understanding the process and try and talk me out of it. I think thats what I would have done a year ago knowing nothing of hair transplant procedures.

So I'm living like a hermit for the next week, I'm stocked up with food so it feels like I'm in my bunker at the moment.

As I'm single at present it's been easy to hide away and my work colleagues seem to accept I'm being dedicated to completing annual exams at home.

So far then I'm pleased with my surgery with Dr R but clearly it's early days and Dr R explained to me the full results would not be evident for around 12 months.

So I'll see how the results show at the end of the year and see if I should take any further action. Certainly my next meeting will be to see Dr R at about the 6 month point when I will have the next photos taken.

Finally just to say I've had no itching because the water spray seems to negate that and I'd slept very well. I've had no forehead swelling. My only concern at the moment is possible shock loss or thermal loss but I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)

I hope my description of the day may help in some ways anyone else thinking of taking surgery with Dr R.

whiskey

Established Member
Reaction score
Congratulations Carter, it's all good from here on in.
The spray they gave you is saline, it's the same sort of solution that your grafts were in before they went into your head. It keeps the newly planted grafts clean and helps keep the scabbing down a bit.

From now on it's a very gradual process. The grafts will start growing at a different rate. Most will probably fall out & then start coming through again later on, a few will remain but be dormant for a while & then suddenly start growing, a few might start growing straight away. It takes time for the new hair to grow in so on the days where you feel really impatient just tell yourself that by Christmas it'll all have been worth it.

I'm booked in v soon for my last fue session. I should be grown out fully by Christmas too so I'm planning a visit to a top stylist to get a new colour & new style. There'll be no stopping me in 2007 :D

carter

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Whiskey - much appreciated :)

I think it'll seem a bit off putting seeing the grafts appear to fall out but reassuring that the roots will still be there.

It's a good feeling to know things will improve as the year goes on.

Although I was at the clinic for 8 hours the time went faster than I expected.

Hope all goes well with your next FUE session as I'm sure it will, Dr R is a pleasure to deal with and I can see why you've actually enjoyed going for your sessions as you remarked earlier.

rutters

Reaction score
excellent description m8..any chance of an update? e.g. how long before you were ready to go out? how are you treating the areas? any initial loss etc.

btw I'm in on 17th for 1500 grafts

cheers

carter

Established Member
Reaction score
Well Rutters I had the surgery on Friday 27th Jan and I'm returning back to work tommorow. I was a bit self conscious when I went out to get the stitches removed on Friday (7 days after surgery) as there was still quite a few crusts on the grafts. I'd say if you don't want anyone to know then give it 10 days like me - I see you're going on a Friday like me so if I was you I'd return back earliest to work on Monday 27 Feb ideally.

It gave me a lot of confidence just heading out for the first time on Friday to get the stitches out - I had intended going straight back home but went to the supermarket as I was feeling a bit more confident. I didn't want to meet anyone I knew though, if I did I'd have quickly avoided them.

Oh and an important point about the stitches, in the notes Dr Rogers gives you after the surgery it explains instructions on the removal of the stitches. It says "don't cut one end and pull through!". Despite showing this to my local Dr's surgery nurse she was going to do just that bfore I stopped her! So make sure they cut the segments of the stitch loops as it seems it's usual just to pull through.

On the positive side the nurse said the scar was very neat and she reckoned it would be hard to see once it's healed.

I'm pleased to report I had no swelling following the grafts and I haven't had any shockloss either so far - fingers crossed. I have some hair to partially cover the grafts as I'm a bit of a diffuse thinner so it's less obvious. My fears of possible marks on my forehead were unfounded, these micrografts are just pinpricks so no worries there.

Where before I felt mildly depressed about my hairline as my scalp was really starting to show through now I feel much happier and a real sense of optimism knowing I'm moving in the right direction. It really does feel good.

The anticipation of the surgery is worse than the reality Rutters.

I hope this helps - I'm happy to give further updates and it would be good to hear how you get on too. Dr Rogers seems to me a good ethical guy - I'm really pleased I became aware of him back last August when I first read the posts on these boards. :)

rutters

Reaction score
another great post m8..very useful. I'm not back at work till 27th so should be OK.

Regarding the stitches, did you ring your GP's practice for an appointment with a nurse to remove them?

thanks again

Vega

Reaction score
just tell yourself that by Christmas it'll all have been worth it.

does it take a whole year to know the whole effect? im at just short of 5 months, and i can see token hairs here and there, but still waiting for any sort of decent growth. in dr rogers info sheet, he says that thick growth should come in by 6 months? its really frustrating not knowing whats going to happen. I can see lots of very fine, blonde hairs is this normal?

whiskey

Established Member
Reaction score
LC_Vega said:
just tell yourself that by Christmas it'll all have been worth it.

does it take a whole year to know the whole effect? im at just short of 5 months, and i can see token hairs here and there, but still waiting for any sort of decent growth. in dr rogers info sheet, he says that thick growth should come in by 6 months? its really frustrating not knowing whats going to happen. I can see lots of very fine, blonde hairs is this normal?

Yes, around a year is the time frame widely considered to show the near to finished results. I'd say that it is still thickening up after 18 months. Some people do see decent growth at 6 months, whereas others are really only starting to show around that time. A few are very lucky and get good growth really quickly. Everyone's hair growth cycles are different.
I'm quite a slow grower too. I spent the first few months impatiently checking the mirror every day & mostly I just saw whispey, fine hair coming through. I sort of got bored & stopped looking for it for a while & then all of a sudden there it was breaking through. It all grows in at different times so you'll never see one big thick mass of hair appear.

Did you get strip or fue ? How many grafts ?

Vega

Reaction score
did you get strip or fue ? How many grafts ?

hi whiskey, thanks for your reply.

i got strip done, as it seemed much more logical choice, 1700 grafts. 1200 in hairline the rest in the back crown area

i've got some thats fairly thick growth around the centre hairline and less thick around the right temple area, the left is not really showing anything yet.

If the area still looks thin, even though the transplanted hairs are growing, does this improve with time?? what was your hair like to compare at 5 months, and one year?

thanks LC

carter

Established Member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
Are you documenting your progress with photos? If so, can you post some?

Hi Aplunk - I've got the pre op photos and I plan getting some done again shortly - I'll post on this thread once I have them.