anyone apply minoxidil on a whole head?

hate2shed

Established Member
Reaction score
dudes im considering doing this , since im diffuse with receding hairline
*what a f*cked up combo*
anyone applies minoxidil on their whole head here?
if so how much minoxidil u use

thanks a lot

Stingray

Reaction score
Yes I do.

1mL twice daily.

G

Me 2, like 2 - 2.5 ml. I'm sure I could do with less but it would take too much time and effort.

G

hate2shed said:
*what a f*cked up combo*

thanks a lot

Yes, I use 2ML per appl. Front to back.

davidferrie

Reaction score
i thought the whole point of 1ml dosing is that once the minoxidil got down into certain layer of your scalp it difuses through into a wide area of the scalp so you really don't need to apply more than 1ml.

i'm wrong on this point?

G

I'm sure that happens to some extent but I really have to say that this promise seems a little questionable to me. Diffusion rates of dissolved species in liquids (or solids/multiphase structures) are extremely slow and are given exaggerated credit for observed processes by technicians in many disciplines because they don't really understand what is happening. My university has a 6 foot column of water with a carefully placed supersaturated copper sulfate powder resting at one end. The blue color has traveled about 4" through the column so far...........and I think the column is dated 1946 but I might be off by a couple years. Diffusion in liquid solutions only measurably occurs over extremely short distances in reasonable timeframes but is still important because it can be multiplied by natural convection or be the limiting factor in a multi-mechanism transport process.

People typically observe increasing rates of transport in many processes when the rate of chemical diffusion increases. A lot of people then falsely assume that if the transport rate increases with diffusion rate then diffusion is the mechanism of transport. This is almost always incorrect when dealing with liquid (or solid or mixed) systems. Usually the diffusion is just a small but critical step in the process (or many small but critical steps) over a very short distance, such as the chemical diffusing a millionth of an inch from the interior surface of blood vessel to the bulk flow of the blood supply. Even though the diffusion is a very minor part of the transport it occurs so slowly that it becomes the limiting factor. People therefore see increasing transport with increasing rates of diffusion and mistakenly believe that the entire process is diffusive.

If the chemical is applied to a small fractional area of the scalp but ends up in most of the scalp then this is most likely not the result of diffusion. It could be that the chemical is distributed within the scalp by blood vessels, or some other biological process I don't know of. It could also be that there is reactive transport and the poorly distributed chemical "sucks" other chemicals to it by reacting and reducing their concentration.

Or it could just be BS, maybe people are assuming that proper coverage is not important but they have no factual basis for this assumption. I am guessing it's the latter and you should try to get good coverage. I wouldn't be surprised if the shedding phase of minoxidil is in part either due to or exaggerated by not treating the same differential portions of the scalp consistently due to poor coverage, but that is speculation on my part.

When ever we are talking about a liquid or solid system and people tell me, “Don’t worry, diffusion will take care of it,” I am pretty sure that their claim is uniformed and I either have to see testing that proves there is no concern or somebody has to propose an alternate process that will alleviate the concern.

mysticalapollo

Reaction score
Oh Olorin...OHHHHHHHHH Olorin

Olorin
Junior Poster Joined: 13 Jun 2003 Posts: 102

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:43 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wait wait.. I thought minoxidil was an oral product. wtf...

I believe that there was, is, or will be an oral form of minoxidil; the topical form is the most widely known. I think that's why most have displayed their obvious surprise when you stated you thought it was oral. The topical version should NEVER EVER EVER be taken orally. Of course you know that finast is an oral product. Maybe therein perhaps could be the misunderstanding.

-JUST A THOUGHT AND I'M STICKING TO IT.
8O

Stingray

Reaction score
Minoxidil is a potent vasodialator used to remedy the symptoms of hypertension. That was what it was originally used for, but the hair rejuvination properties of the drug were found by accident.

mald

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
*what a f*cked up combo*

thanks a lot