Any reason to get excited??

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Have been on finasteride and nizoral for nearly 4 months so far. About 2 months in my hair started getting darker and thicker and my temples and hairline sprouted new vellous hairs. The crown is thickening up with nice long colorless blonde hairs as well. Thing I noticed though is that about half an inch down from my hairline are a couple of new, stray darker thicker, longer vellous/terminal hairs that are popping in. All around this are newer vellous hairs as well. Keep in mind that I have not had hair in that area for a good 20 years or so. I understood that follicles will die off and cant be recovered. Did I just prove this theory wrong or something? Is it possible that I could recover a hairline that I haven't had in 20 years? Anyway.. I'm definitely a responder no matter which way you cut it.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Have been on finasteride and nizoral for nearly 4 months so far. About 2 months in my hair started getting darker and thicker and my temples and hairline sprouted new vellous hairs. The crown is thickening up with nice long colorless blonde hairs as well. Thing I noticed though is that about half an inch down from my hairline are a couple of new, stray darker thicker, longer vellous/terminal hairs that are popping in. All around this are newer vellous hairs as well. Keep in mind that I have not had hair in that area for a good 20 years or so. I understood that follicles will die off and cant be recovered. Did I just prove this theory wrong or something? Is it possible that I could recover a hairline that I haven't had in 20 years? Anyway.. I'm definitely a responder no matter which way you cut it.

growing new hair in areas that have been bald for 20 years is very impressive... how old are you and at what norwood?

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm 36 years old and have been very slowly balding since I was 19 or so. Im about a Norwood 4 I'd guess. Strong tuft of hair in the front, but thin hair all over. Receded temples and big bald/thin area at crown that has retained vellous hairs all these years, not really slick. I've had no sides, just a little malaise I guess every now and then, but I dont know if I'll blame it on finasteride. No shedding or anything.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
growing new hair in areas that have been bald for 20 years is very impressive... how old are you and at what norwood?

Actually, you can regrow hair anytime, irrespectively if you lost it 1 year ago or 50 years ago. Well, it is much easier, when you catch it immediately, because the hairs were not miniaturized yet. The aging process can also take some toll. But the hair follicles generally don't die. Their stem cells are only inactivated. They can be "waken up" with any sufficiently strong stimulation. Consider this: You don't grow beard on your face until you are 16-18 years old. Does it mean that the invisible, miniaturized facial hair could "die" in the meantime, until it is stimulated to produce thick shafts?

I have been now regrowing very thick hairs in my temple, where I lost them 15 years ago. I don't know, how thick the area will eventually be, but it starts to be amazing. The funniest thing is that I actually don't know, what a treatment caused it. Since January 2011 I have been trying multiple treatments, mainly consisting of 10-15% minoxidil, but until late May 2012, it produced only some thin black hairs with little cosmetic significance. Then, they suddenly thickened to normal size almost overnight, and during the last month, they keep growing. Perhaps it is due to dermastamping that I started more frequently in April. Or due to the inclusion of Nizoral. In any case, I will continue in the current regimen.

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Actually, I have been on 5% minoxidil for a month now and adding it to the temples and hairline. So.. Big 3 is what I'm doing. All you ever hear about from these younger guys is "man I'm glad I caught it early before the follicle died!" but then you realize that alot of them don't really know what they are talking about. It's good to hear from others that have regrown in areas that have been dormant for 10+ years. It's just kind of a shock to see some dark, yet still thin hairs coming in these areas after only a few months. This is cool.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Be sure to document your progress with pics (at least for yourself)...