Any Oilfield Wearers?

mikey mike

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a 24 year old Petroleum Engineer currently working as a night foreman on a drilling rig who is considering a hairpiece. Are there any wearers on this site that happen to work in the oilfield? How is it working out for you? Specifically, how does the attachment stand up to extreme hot/cold temperatures and sweat, how easy is it to clean out drilling fluid or cuttings from the shale shakers if they were to get in your hair, and have you had any problems with hard hat usage over the hairpiece? Also, I currently work a 2 weeks on/2 weeks off schedule, and my understanding is that wearers typically reattach every 2 weeks. Is it a problem if I go slightly longer than 2 weeks for reattachment so that I can limit this to my days off? My job is not quite as strenuous as most jobs on the rig, but these are all things I will have to deal with and I would be interested in knowing if this is a viable option for me.

Noah

Reaction score
I am not on an oilfield, but I am a civil engineer currently based in the Gulf, so I guess I have many of the same issues - hot windy dusty oily environment, hard hats, sleeping in mess accommodation with other guys etc. None of these things is ideal, but they are all things you can work around. For me, it is worth it to have decent hair in my off-duty time.

Hot and cold is no problem. Lace hairpieces are so ultra-lightweight that you don't really feel them on your head, and they are totally breathable and cool. The dirt can be an issue, especially at the hairline. You want to try to keep dirt and oils off the piece. I wear a cap when I am in going into a dusty environment, and I wear a do-rag under my hard hat. Many of the guys do the same, so it looks perfectly natural, and the scarf keeps the piece nice and secure and prevents wear and tear on it.

Two week attachments are probably OK provided you don't expose your hairline. I do a weekly change, but if I am away from home I take a pre-taped piece with me, and I can do the change in about 25 mins. I have never had a problem finding that amount of private time.

So yeah, I think it's viable. PM me if you want to discuss further.