Any LONG term finasteride users here???

jeffsss

Reaction score
I know long isnt exactly TOO long. but after reading and reading and reading i've found that since propecia hasnt been around that long that we may all be in for a world of hurtin if were relying on finasteride..

Resistance
Rogaine and Propecia are sometimes subject to "resistance." The body builds up a tolerance for these drugs. The effective dose after a period of time is no longer effective. This may happen because the body starts to produce more DHT or more of the enzyme 5-alpha reductase that converts free-floating testosterone into DHT. It has been estimated that almost 30 percent of the people who have been on Rogaine and Propecia for several years no longer respond as well as they did when they started on these drugs.

now this is a huge concern for me since i'm 26 and am already on propecia.

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
Yep,
I agree that's why Im only on 50% of the big three.

.5 Propecia a day
1x 5ml minoxidil
1% nizoral.

SO i have something to move upto if I get resistant - i feel your concerns mate and I'm only 23.

Johngalt1945

Reaction score
Propecia daily since 1999

This is part reply and part question:

I'm 34 and have been taking Propecia daily since 1999 and have never missed a day. I started taking it when I noticed hairs in the shower. Soon after starting the regimen, my hair stopped shedding, and actually became thicker.

All was fine until about 3 months ago when I noticed 5 to 6 hairs shedding each day in the shower. Propecia has worked great for me until then. I have been under a great deal of stress, but I tend to think the recent shedding is simply a matter of the Propecia no longer working for me.

Is there anyone else out there who has had a similar experience? What did you do? I'm particularly interested in those who may have stopped the medication.

Oh, by the way...for those interested in the "sexual side effect", I have experienced absolutely NONE!! If you read the study results, that ocurred in less than 2% of the controlled group. I have to believe that these guys had issues even before the Propecia...they just needed an excuse.

jeffsss

Reaction score
Re: Propecia daily since 1999

Johngalt1945 said:
This is part reply and part question:

I'm 34 and have been taking Propecia daily since 1999 and have never missed a day. I started taking it when I noticed hairs in the shower. Soon after starting the regimen, my hair stopped shedding, and actually became thicker.

All was fine until about 3 months ago when I noticed 5 to 6 hairs shedding each day in the shower. Propecia has worked great for me until then. I have been under a great deal of stress, but I tend to think the recent shedding is simply a matter of the Propecia no longer working for me.

Is there anyone else out there who has had a similar experience? What did you do? I'm particularly interested in those who may have stopped the medication.

Oh, by the way...for those interested in the "sexual side effect", I have experienced absolutely NONE!! If you read the study results, that ocurred in less than 2% of the controlled group. I have to believe that these guys had issues even before the Propecia...they just needed an excuse.

how long into your regimine did you notice it starting to "thicken up" your hair??

I'm on month 3 still losing hair like crazy.

TheOliviaTremorControl

Established Member
Reaction score
Its really disheartening to hear semi-success stories about finasteride or other hairloss products based upon how many hairs the patient sees in the shower, because we all know that just means that their just delusional.

I'm going to say this, and not for the last time, people shed hairs whether they are balding or not.
In fact, its normal for the average human to shed 100 hairs a DAY.
Baldness is NOT "excessive shedding", it is the miniturization of a hair follicle.

Meaning, your hair follicle used to make michael jordan-esque hairs, but now your hair follicle is producing little adolf hitler hairs, which are small and like being pooped on.

jeffsss

Reaction score
TheOliviaTremorControl said:
Its really disheartening to hear semi-success stories about finasteride or other hairloss products based upon how many hairs the patient sees in the shower, because we all know that just means that their just delusional.

I'm going to say this, and not for the last time, people shed hairs whether they are balding or not.
In fact, its normal for the average human to shed 100 hairs a DAY.
Baldness is NOT "excessive shedding", it is the miniturization of a hair follicle.

Meaning, your hair follicle used to make michael jordan-esque hairs, but now your hair follicle is producing little adolf hitler hairs, which are small and like being pooped on.

I'm not saying that the human head doesnt "shed" 100 hairs per day.

but you shouldnt be able to take a shower and count that many.

usually AS WE ALL KNOW........... the hairs we find in the shower.. are usually long ones.. and for most of us... our LONGER hairs are on the top of our head.. not the sides.
shedding should occur all over the head. not just the sides.

thus.. if you see an abundance of hairs that are longer while showering. = not good.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Been on propecia for 3 years now, and everything is fine and dandy.

westcovinajoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude! (jeffsss) please relax. If it is possible to go bald via worry you are certainly on the road.

Chances are if and when your body becomes resistant to propecia or minoxidil, there will be something else better to take.

So my advice to you, even though you have been given it before is:

1. Use the big 3 propecia, nizoral, and rogaine
2. Relax
3. Don't try to imagine new ways propecia might not work.

Okay?

Joe