Any asians on here that had luck with propecia/proscar?

genki21

Reaction score
Just curious, I don't want to waste a year trying something that won't work. I mean I'm going to start using it either way, but I'm still trying to decide if I should also start on minoxidil too. It seems I'm experiencing the typical asian all around thinning. Too bad that aren't that many english speaking/writing asians that could help verify, it'd be nice if I could read a Chinese or Japanese board or something.

gerard

Established Member
Reaction score
be specific
what is ur age,
where r u now

then i may able to help
if u tell me if ur chinese or japanese thats also better

genki21

Reaction score
25, and I'm Korean

genki21

Reaction score
Also, forgot to add:
My hairline isn't really receding much but I'm thinning all around on top, front to crown. In the light you can see my scalp pretty well. My hair has always been thin, so I guess I have a nice headstart on hairloss=) However most people can't really notice anything right now, thank god.

genki21

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for the articles, though I'm not really sure what the one about body hair has to do with me? I'll contact yardbird and see if he can help at all. Is he Korean, or is he just living in Korea?

Yardbird

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin? We must be online at the same time....that's cool.
Genki21,
Ok, here's my info about Asian proscar/propecia users. I've been on proscar for about a year and nine months, something like that. I started at the same time as a good friend of mine, a Korean guy. We really showed pretty similar results in that hair loss either stopped or slowed dramatically. He said something about feeling that he was still receding, though much more slowly than before, but from my own view of his situation, I'd say he's in right around the same place he was 2 yrs ago, which I consider to be a good thing since he was a Norwood 1.5. For the record, this is the only Korean guy I know personally who uses proscar.

Does that mean proscar is going to work for you? I don't know since there's not been any research, to my knowledge, that has dealt with racial variations in reactions/results with proscar/propecia. I think it means that being Asian doesn't count you out in terms of having a solid shot at good results with proscar.
In regards to minoxidil, I would agree with Cassin and others, HairLossTalk.com included, who suggest that you should wait a while before starting minoxidil. Give yourself some time, and see how proscar works for you. If you use two treatments right away, there will be no way to tell if one of them is ineffective for you. Are both of them giving you results or just one?
Actually, let me contradict myself for a moment and recommend a second product: Nizoral. This is the world's easiest product to use....no systemic side effects, and it's as easy as washing your hair. It's been shown to be as effective as minoxidil 2%, so what more could you ask from a shampoo? Try Nizoral 3 x a week and proscar. That's enough for now if your hairloss problem is not so bad, as you suggested in your post.

genki21

Reaction score
Cool thanks for the reply. Did you experience any regrowth with proscar, because I'd really like to thicken up the thinning I have in the front/top. Did your friend get any regrowth either, or was it just a slowdown?

Would you suggest adding minoxidil later on perhaps? Maybe after 9 months or so? Damn I wish I started sooner, I was in self-denial.

Yardbird

Established Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I didn't notice any regrowth, but that kind of thing can be hard to observe since it happens so slowly and usually doesn't happen on a *large* scale for those of us who are below Norwood 2. I should also say that my friend didn't add Nizoral, but that's a mild regrowth agent. Perhaps, he would have regrown more hair had he been on Nizoral.

For you, the choice is clear. Get on proscar and nizoral to see what kind of benefit they bring. I wouldn't be surprised if you see some minor thickening in your hair, but if even if not, wouldn't the very likely scenerio of stopping your hair loss in its tracks be enough reason to start?

Yardbird

Established Member
Reaction score
About minoxidil, I think you're getting ahead of yourself. Give proscar and nizoral a fair chance. This combo should hit its peak at about 12-18 months. Give it at least a yr before you make the commitment to use minoxidil twice a day for the rest of your life.

Andrew

Established Member
Reaction score
asian

i am asian chinese.

i am from South East Asia.

been on Propecia for 1 year now.

genki21

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll stick to proscar/nizoral and I'll keep you all updated. I told my older brother and he said he hasn't noticed anything, except when I made him look at the top of my head up close. Of course I also styled it as best as possible.

Andrew: can you tell me if you're doing well with that?

Racer

Reaction score
genki21, I am also Asian (or specifically Chinese) and a diffuse thinner. Been on propecia since 1st of September last year, which makes it close to 7 months odd by now. So far so good I must say. Hairloss has slowed right down to what I can best deduce as almost none. Not much regrowth yet though but I am not particularly fussed about that.

When I started propecia I was in 2 minds as to whether I should use minoxidil as well. But I have decided against it for now and will wait and see how propecia (and nizoral) hold up over the next 5 months or so before re-assessing.

Only side-effect I have noticed was a major outbreak of acne (though I have suffered from acne in my teens) after one month and it has totally settled down by about month 4. The other thing is my libido bounced up and down a bit in the first month, but has gone back to normal very soon after that.

Good luck!

Andrew

Established Member
Reaction score
hi genki,

I don't think taking propecia alone is enough. You need to combine with other internal and topicals....

when i was on propecia, i would say my hair is only maintaining... I don't see any regrowth...

Now I am taking full range of internal and topical:-

Internal:-
MSM 5 gram
L-arginine 1 gram
Flax Seed 1 gram
Green Tea 6 cups daily
Vitamin C and zinc

I will update you at the 6 months mark....

Racer

Reaction score
Andrew said:
hi genki,

I don't think taking propecia alone is enough. You need to combine with other internal and topicals....

when i was on propecia, i would say my hair is only maintaining... I don't see any regrowth...

Now I am taking full range of internal and topical:-

Internal:-
MSM 5 gram
L-arginine 1 gram
Flax Seed 1 gram
Green Tea 6 cups daily
Vitamin C and zinc

I will update you at the 6 months mark....

Hey Andrew, you said you are in SE Asia. Mind telling me whereabouts? Where did you get your MSM and L-arginine?

Andrew

Established Member
Reaction score
MSM

I got my L-arginine from GNC.

MSM is a bit hard to find.... they don't have it in GNC.
but you could try Ultra Nuorishair from GNC....

I plan to replace my MSM with it once run out...
It's ingredient contain MSM and Biotin.

However, if you want pure MSM, you can get it from Nature's Farm... That's the only place selling it in South East Asia....

Where you from?

Racer

Reaction score
What is GNC?

I am living in Hong Kong right now. I have looked but can't find MSM anywhere.