Ann's Story

Ann

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First I just want to say - wow - what a pretty site this is! I can really feel hope pulsing here.... :yes:

Well, my story....I'm 24 - a final year engineering student from Australia. I noticed a lot of hair falling out perhaps back in '99 but it was so thick that I didn't worry about it. Well, 2 months or so ago, I noticed my scalp showing and I was completely distraught. I went to see a dermatologist and he referred me to a second one. Androgenetic Alopecia. I was totally crushed. My life had come to a screeching halt. I seriously contemplated suicide and came very very close to succeeding. But I chickened out. Well, I found these amazing women on hairsite who were so important in helping me out, emotionally. I took a lot of their advice.

So I'm on minoxidil 5% and I've recently started aldactone 100 mg once a day. It's the 60th day today of minoxidil, and the 8th day of aldactone. I had to reduce the aldactone to 1/2 tabs because my blood pressure hit a dizzying low of 90/50. I was on the point of fainting every second of the day! :cry:

But, I haven't noticed any 'results'. In fact my hair is a LOT worse than it was 2 months ago. It's terribly depressing. I washed my hair today and I lost 500 hairs just in the first combing! NOT including the hair that falls in the shower, while the hair is drying and sticking to yr clothes etc.... :cry: But what else is there to do....I'm paying a lot for hope....

Well, anyway.....just thought I'd let you know a little about me. :unsure:

Love, Ann

lentara

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry that your hair is worse than 2 months ago but don't give up hope and know that you can always find help here!
Welcome to the forum. :)

G

Hi Ann!

Glad you like the site! :)

I'm really sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I knew it was extremely hard for me to hear it, especially coming from that bad experience I had with Dr. Price :evil:

But never give up. You have a lot of positive energy that will definitely be helpful in fighting this condition!

Anyway I also read that you took Maya's advice with the spironolactone, I hope it works out well with you.

In terms of losing that much hair when you shower, do you wash your hair every day?

Try and have a great weekend! Hugs,

Laura

Ann

Reaction score
Thanks Lentara. I hope my hair does improve or at the least stop deteriorating. :pinch:

lentara said:
I'm sorry that your hair is worse than 2 months ago but don't give up hope and know that you can always find help here!
Welcome to the forum. :)

Ann

Reaction score
Gosh Laura, uv done a really good job with this site!

I hope this spironolactone thing works out for me too. As long as my hair comes back....but its just getting worse. I'm seeing my dermo on Monday, let's see.......

And no I don't wash my hair everyday - infact once I've finished showering its such a huge relief and then I start dreading washing it again - so keep putting it off...till it gets really grimy....I just hate washing my hair so much! :/

HerAlopecia said:
Hi Ann!

Glad you like the site! :)

I'm really sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I knew it was extremely hard for me to hear it, especially coming from that bad experience I had with Dr. Price :evil:

But never give up. You have a lot of positive energy that will definitely be helpful in fighting this condition!

Anyway I also read that you took Maya's advice with the spironolactone, I hope it works out well with you.

In terms of losing that much hair when you shower, do you wash your hair every day?

Try and have a great weekend! Hugs,

Laura

mayalopecia

Reaction score
Howdy Ann!

Welcome to the site! :D

Ann

Reaction score
Thanks Maya! I'm so glad to see you!

I'm doing the spironolactone thing like you suggested - halving those 100mg tabs - that's the same thing the GP suggested too! My hair is so bad...but I don't want to complain too much cos it might get even worse next month and then my hair as it is rt now would be lookin pretty good....I just wish it would grow back already!! I'm so tired of hairloss! :evil:

mayalopecia said:
Howdy Ann!

Welcome to the site! :D