Ally's Story

Ally

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a 47 year old "haus frau" living in central Texas. My hair has always been blonde, curly and fine in texture. In '00 my hair dresser commented on how much hair I was losing when she washed it so I began to take note. For me, 100 or so hairs lost every day seemed normal and I was definitely seeing lots of new growth springing up on top so I didn't worry too much about it and I definitely didn't do any research on the subject at that time. Anyone ever heard of that 'ol river Denial??

I had a total hysterectomy when I was 28 yo and have been on .05 mg Estraderm ever since, but this summer and fall I began to experience hot flashes and my hair started coming out in handfuls, about 200-300/day. Now I was worried! So I first made an appt with my GP in October and had the mandatory bloodwork for androgen/testosterone/thyroid. They all came back WNL so I next saw my gyn. He upped my estrogen level over a period of 2 months until I am now taking 4 times the dose I took daily for the last 19 years. I also made an appt with Dr. Whiting in Dallas with the Baylor Hair Research & Treatment Center. They couldn't get me in till Jan '04 so I asked them if I should start Minoxidil in the meantime and they said it couldn't hurt, but to be aware that sometimes it causes more shedding before it slows down. So I began the Minoxidil and 3 days later had my estrogen upped, too. Within 2 weeks my hair loss slowed to 30 or less/day, a rate I hadn't seen in years. I was thrilled! But that only lasted 16 days. (Yes, I've been keeping a hair loss diary for the past couple months). Then it began to creep back up again, first 50-75/day for a couple of days and then back to around 130/day where it's leveled off again. My question, for those who're on Minoxidil, would there be a chance that 16 days after I started it, the shedding would begin to increase? I thought I'd see an immediate shedding the first week of useage.

As for the hormonal angle, I definitely feel better on the increased estrogen; No more night sweats or hot flashes. But like alot of folks on this site, I'm confused as to what exactly IS causing my hair loss. There's no familial link, I don't have any excess facial hair/acne or any of the other Androgenetic Alopecia symptoms. But I also understand that Androgenetic Alopecia can strike w/o warning in any family.

One thing I can definitely say is that prayer has helped me immensely in dealing with this. It hasn't lightened the dread in my heart I have each morning stepping into the shower, but it helps me to know that God loves me and will help me through this!

It's great to have a forum like this so thank you, Laura, for all your hard work! I look forward to checking in with y'all and letting you know how my Doctor visit in January goes. Oh, and before I close, here's my daily regimen:
minoxidil 2% a.m./p.m.
extra strength multi vitamin
calcium
(2) .1 mg Estraderm patches changed twice weekly

Sorry this is so looooong!! :newbie:

mayalopecia

Reaction score
Hi Ally,

Glad you've found us. I've read that women that have hysterectomies at a young age can experience hair loss as they get older. Hopefully the extra estrogen treatment will be what's neccessary to protect your follicles.

I noticed that you mentioned that facial hair and acne as being symptoms of Androgenetic Alopecia. This is true in women with excess androgens, but many women develop Androgenetic Alopecia without these accompaniments.

The Rogaine packaging warns about a temporary increase in shedding that can occur 2-10 weeks into treatment. Most likely, this is the "dread shed" you are experiencing now. At 16 days, you are right on schedule! Hopefully this is an indicator of increased growth coming soon. I am encouraged by the fact that Dr. Whiting's office mentioned this to you when you called. Hopefully you will receive good news at your appointment.

-maya