Advice from top quality system wearers and former wearers

Harleyinn

Reaction score
Hi.

Im 26 and a NW5 basicly. Its hell being bald especially at this age. You guys wearing/wore wigs can you please give me some advice? Please only those who have experience with top of the line systems.
Any input is welcome and i am especially worried about how its perceived by the hundreds or even thousands of people in my community who KNOW im bald, will it fall off? What about outdoors activities? Do you feel it to some degree on your head? Is it 120% real looking? Maintainance problems and just everything. Thank you

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Harleyinn

Yours is a big question, and most aspects of it have already been answered in previous posts, but here is a quick(ish) answer.

The men's hair replacement (aka toupee) market has changed dramatically because of the internet. You can now get a good quality custom made lace hairpiece for around US$ 200 - 300. A piece like that is wearable for about 4 - 6 months. Provided the color match is good and you get a good haircut, it will be virtually undetectable by sight. For all practical purposes it is 100% real looking. With some practice and care you can also get it to be virtually undetectable to the touch, although that is more fiddly.

The piece is kept on with double-sided adhesive tape or glue. The adhesives nowadays are very strong. You can play sports, swim, water ski, scuba dive, bungee jump in a hairpiece in complete confidence that it will not come off. Most experienced younger wearers keep their piece on for about a week at a time, although longer and shorter are possible. Maintenance is mainly just taking the piece on and off and cleaning the glue off it. Once you get the hang of it it takes about an hour a week.

All of that is the easy bit. The big questions is: should I go that route? That is a very subjective question which only you can answer. If you are already Norwood 5 then a hairpiece is probably your only alternative to being bald. Unless you plan to move homes, most of the people you know will realise that you have "done something" with your hair, and the smarter ones will realise that you are wearing a piece. I can't really talk too much about that situation, because I got my piece before I was noticeably bald, and very few people know I wear one.

There is undeniably still a stigma attached to wearing a hairpiece, although it is not as bad as some people make out. My guess is that if you go from NW5 one day to fully-haired the next, you can expect some level of interest from people you know, especially other balding men, asking you what you did. You can just say that you had a procedure to replace your hair and leave it like that. The vast majority of people know that guys who have replaced their hair don't really want to talk about it, and they will respect that. If your piece looks good, it will be a two-day wonder, and most people will forget about it. There will always be a smart alec who will remember and make the annual joke about it, and you would just have to get used to that.

I have been very happy with my piece, and I consider it one of the most life-enhancing moves I have made. I know quite a few other younger guys who take the same view. The bottom line is that, unlike all the other baldness remedies, you can try a hairpiece out for the price of a good night out, and if you don't like it you can chuck it in the trash.

Last edited: