Abby's Story

G

Hi everyone. I'm a 31 year old mother of 5 year old twins who has just been diagnosed with androgenic alopecia. I have been severely depressed ever since. I read a post by Laura that Nioxin doesn't do a thing. I have to say I agree with her. Elocon doesn't work either, at least not for androgenic alopecia. My idiot primary doctor prescribed that for me. I am currently on aldoctone and proscar. Don't worry Laura, I won't get pregnant. Anyway, I was considering going off Nioxin and trying Rogaine. Two questions, has Rogaine worked for anyone and can you use Nizoral with Rogaine? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Abby

Anita

Reaction score
Hi Abby-

Yes, definitely use Nizoral with Rogaine! Nizoral is actually supposed to help any itching/flaking that is often caused by Rogaine. I also find that it makes my hair feel very nice and clean :) I just began using Rogaine yesterday (5%) so I can't comment on how helpful it is or will be...

Good luck and glad you found this site!
Anita

G

Hi Abby!

Just wanted to say hi and welcome to the board! :) Glad you found us.

As for the Elocon, that is kind of weird for your Doctor to prescribe it for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia.

How long ago did you hair loss start?

As for Rogaine, it does work if you stick with it. Sometimes it will regrow hair, other times it will just maintain what hair you have (it won't progress the hair loss). Give it a good 6 months to a year at least.

The Nizoral is a drugstore/supermarket shampoo found towards the end of the shelves in the dandruff section :) You use it about every three days, and I, like Anita, like it (although it dries up a lot of my hair, so I only use it on my scalp). Be sure to put it on your scalp and leave it on for a good couple of minutes.

How long have you been on the spironolactone/aldactone and avodart for? Who prescribed you the avodart? Just curious. How is it working out for ya?

Well, hope you stick around and join in forum! If would be great if you registered :)

Take care,

Laura