A story to tell...

G

i think you should have stayed on propecia. you could have done without the concealers and just popped one propecia a day and not let it run your life.

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
I too would gladly say "to hell with all the treatments" and shave it all off, but there's just one problem... I have a horribly shaped head!

Not only do I have big ears and a non-round-asymmetrical shaped head, but worst off all, I have a massive bump on the back too (many ppl tease me b/c of it... had some ppl even ask me if it's a tumor). So b/c of this, I am unable to shave my head.

It appears that ppl like you (w/ nice shaped heads) can get away with shaving their hair, but unfortunately for ppl like me, we have no other choice but to stick with the meds and deal with all the inconveniences.

s.a.f

Reaction score
JayMan said:
i think you should have stayed on propecia. you could have done without the concealers and just popped one propecia a day and not let it run your life.

He was on Propecia until last year. But he's nw6/7. kodakjlowe117 can you tell us more. Did you start too late or did it just not work for you?

kodakjlowe117

Reaction score
Correct. I was on Propecia until just recently. Propecia is a great drug if your goal is to sustain the hair loss you currently have. The problem with propecia, is that it takes 3 - 6 months to begin fighting the DHT
chemical and at that its one pill every day for the rest of your life. Its cumbersome. It can be expensive. I was on Propecia semi-successfully for eight years... one day each of you will go through what I did and put the pills back in the bottle and say thats enough. Its not a question of looking at a full head of hair in the mirror, its about allowing you to become the person your body's trying to. I'm not saying that today is the day, but eventually it will happen. If you guys have any questions about any of this please let me know. Thanks again!

s.a.f said:
JayMan said:

He was on Propecia until last year. But he's nw6/7. kodakjlowe117 can you tell us more. Did you start too late or did it just not work for you?

s.a.f

Reaction score
kodakjlowe117 said:
chemical and at that its one pill every day for the rest of your life. Its cumbersome. It can be expensive. I was on Propecia semi-successfully for eight years... one day each of you will go through what I did and put the pills back in the bottle and say thats enough. Its not a question of looking at a full head of hair in the mirror, its about allowing you to become the person your body's trying to. I'm not saying that today is the day, but eventually it will happen.

Do you think that some of the nw1.5-2's on here will also give up on the drugs? In your opinion can it really keep you from progressing or just slow the hairloss down for a few years?
If I could've got on it early and it worked then I'd consider taking a pill a small price to pay for keeping my hair.

kodakjlowe117

Reaction score
If male pattern baldness runs heavily in your family (as it does mine) ... propecia is not going to be the all over solution. It will help to hold onto your hair for a while. What I noticed was after a few years of taking the drug that my hair was still there, but was noticbly thinner... thus why i began my cycles of hair concealers. You can use these two together with decent results as I did, if your willing to put in the time and $$... Let me know if your interested and I could help you weed through the concealers to find the one thats right for you.
-----------------------------------------------------

s.a.f said:
kodakjlowe117 said:
chemical and at that its one pill every day for the rest of your life. Its cumbersome. It can be expensive. I was on Propecia semi-successfully for eight years... one day each of you will go through what I did and put the pills back in the bottle and say thats enough. Its not a question of looking at a full head of hair in the mirror, its about allowing you to become the person your body's trying to. I'm not saying that today is the day, but eventually it will happen.

Do you think that some of the nw1.5-2's on here will also give up on the drugs? In your opinion can it really keep you from progressing or just slow the hairloss down for a few years?
If I could've got on it early and it worked then I'd consider taking a pill a small price to pay for keeping my hair.

kodakjlowe117

Reaction score
Correction, I have a huge bump on theback of my head and my forehead sticks out from the side... You probably can't tell from the picutures but its true. Heads come in all shapes and sizes and you have to find what works best for you... I proudly sport my shaved head, but I also have developed a fashion for top hats and other types of head gear... something I never would have done before... Again you have to find what works best for you.

Above all you have to learn to play the cards you were dealt. If you can wake up in the morning and know that this is who you are without hiding anything from the world, then I promise you will lead a healthier happier life.

kalbo said:
I too would gladly say "to hell with all the treatments" and shave it all off, but there's just one problem... I have a horribly shaped head!

Not only do I have big ears and a non-round-asymmetrical shaped head, but worst off all, I have a massive bump on the back too (many ppl tease me b/c of it... had some ppl even ask me if it's a tumor). So b/c of this, I am unable to shave my head.

It appears that ppl like you (w/ nice shaped heads) can get away with shaving their hair, but unfortunately for ppl like me, we have no other choice but to stick with the meds and deal with all the inconveniences.

ginald

Established Member
Reaction score
kodakjlowe117 said:
Correct. I was on Propecia until just recently. Propecia is a great drug if your goal is to sustain the hair loss you currently have. The problem with propecia, is that it takes 3 - 6 months to begin fighting the DHT
chemical and at that its one pill every day for the rest of your life. Its cumbersome. It can be expensive. I was on Propecia semi-successfully for eight years... one day each of you will go through what I did and put the pills back in the bottle and say thats enough. Its not a question of looking at a full head of hair in the mirror, its about allowing you to become the person your body's trying to. I'm not saying that today is the day, but eventually it will happen. If you guys have any questions about any of this please let me know. Thanks again! [end quote]

kodak....you are obviously very happy now with your state of affairs ,. you sound like a man released from a long jail sentence which i guess is what it was.

however it took you 8 long years to reach this happy conclusion and i guess despite your best intentions, no one on this site is going to copy you straightaway until they have fought their own demons....they all want to believe they can keep their hair forever.

in the end of course they will realise you are right (just as i know you are right), but not before they have wasted a lot of good years.

i think the old proverb about 'you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink' fits quite aptly.

its good to see someone offering a great, healthy alternative.

kodakjlowe117

Reaction score
And I completly agree. You shouldnt go through with something until your ready to make that leap. The reason I am being so outspoken about this was because when I decided to take that leap, I found so little support. Thousands of websites are promoting bandaid fixes for problems such as hair loss, very few help us to embrace what we have. I of all people understand that things of this magnitude take time to prepare for. But I want everyone on this website to know that life does go on. Life doesnt stop growing just because your hair does.
-------------------------------------------------------

ginald said:
kodakjlowe117 said:
chemical and at that its one pill every day for the rest of your life. Its cumbersome. It can be expensive. I was on Propecia semi-successfully for eight years... one day each of you will go through what I did and put the pills back in the bottle and say thats enough. Its not a question of looking at a full head of hair in the mirror, its about allowing you to become the person your body's trying to. I'm not saying that today is the day, but eventually it will happen. If you guys have any questions about any of this please let me know. Thanks again! [end quote]

kodak....you are obviously very happy now with your state of affairs ,. you sound like a man released from a long jail sentence which i guess is what it was.

however it took you 8 long years to reach this happy conclusion and i guess despite your best intentions, no one on this site is going to copy you straightaway until they have fought their own demons....they all want to believe they can keep their hair forever.

in the end of course they will realise you are right (just as i know you are right), but not before they have wasted a lot of good years.

i think the old proverb about 'you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink' fits quite aptly.

its good to see someone offering a great, healthy alternative.

G

s.a.f said:
kodakjlowe117 said:

well this Norwood 1.5 will never give them up. he can have his opinion all he wants but the fact remains that propecia will keep you from ever reaching your final norwood stage, and avodart will keep you a stage ahead of where propecia would have.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The website is all very well - you give us your conclusions, but very little of your journey to them, so it's hardly inspirational. I hate the look and feel of a shaved head. I don't believe shaving will be the answer to any of my problems, just the beginning of yet another psychological battle in which I try to convince myself that I don't mind, it doesn't matter, I'll get used to it etc... just the same sh*t over and over again but with skin instead of hair.

I've only been in the fight for 8 months and I'm heartily sick of it. I feel I can't present myself to the world as I am, and the alternatives are worse. I also feel that, as men suffering from a genetic disorder which has a significant cosmetic impact on our appearance and lifestyle choices, we need to lobby more effectively for dignity. Unfortunately, shaving obtains very little dignity.

And I keep thinking of those awful words, why me?

kodakjlowe117

Reaction score
Then why put yourself through this awful misery. Why allow whats going on ontop of your head to be the center of your agony. There are options.

tchehov said:
The website is all very well - you give us your conclusions, but very little of your journey to them, so it's hardly inspirational. I hate the look and feel of a shaved head. I don't believe shaving will be the answer to any of my problems, just the beginning of yet another psychological battle in which I try to convince myself that I don't mind, it doesn't matter, I'll get used to it etc... just the same $#iT over and over again but with skin instead of hair.

I've only been in the fight for 8 months and I'm heartily sick of it. I feel I can't present myself to the world as I am, and the alternatives are worse. I also feel that, as men suffering from a genetic disorder which has a significant cosmetic impact on our appearance and lifestyle choices, we need to lobby more effectively for dignity. Unfortunately, shaving obtains very little dignity.

And I keep thinking of those awful words, why me?

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There are options, yes - shaved, wigs, murder and suicide.

Never mind, the rapture'll be along shortly...

ginald

Established Member
Reaction score
tchehov said:
The website is all very well - you give us your conclusions, but very little of your journey to them, so it's hardly inspirational. I hate the look and feel of a shaved head. I don't believe shaving will be the answer to any of my problems, just the beginning of yet another psychological battle in which I try to convince myself that I don't mind, it doesn't matter, I'll get used to it etc... just the same $#iT over and over again but with skin instead of hair.

I've only been in the fight for 8 months and I'm heartily sick of it. I feel I can't present myself to the world as I am, and the alternatives are worse. I also feel that, as men suffering from a genetic disorder which has a significant cosmetic impact on our appearance and lifestyle choices, we need to lobby more effectively for dignity. Unfortunately, shaving obtains very little dignity. [end quote]

you sound so very very tired of it all.....and not surprising really.

after all you are fighting mother nature.....all those pills and potions you take....just like throwing iced buns at an onrushing stampede of elephants.

acceptance in the end is the only sensible answer....veterans of the battle, thats me and kodak, have signed up to that honourable treaty.

kodakjlowe117

Reaction score
Well said.

-----------------

ginald said:
tchehov said:

I've only been in the fight for 8 months and I'm heartily sick of it. I feel I can't present myself to the world as I am, and the alternatives are worse. I also feel that, as men suffering from a genetic disorder which has a significant cosmetic impact on our appearance and lifestyle choices, we need to lobby more effectively for dignity. Unfortunately, shaving obtains very little dignity. [end quote]

you sound so very very tired of it all.....and not surprising really.

after all you are fighting mother nature.....all those pills and potions you take....just like throwing iced buns at an onrushing stampede of elephants.

acceptance in the end is the only sensible answer....veterans of the battle, thats me and kodak, have signed up to that honourable treaty.

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
fine website, just dont agree when people say getting angry with hair loss is a mental illness. LOL, yeah im sure. well its an illness every single man who loses hair goes through, so either every single man who balds that hates it is mentally ill, or going bald is just not something people are designed to shrug off as though they just flicked a booger that was once a part of their inner nose.

kodakjlowe117

Reaction score
I couldnt agree more. If your happy with the drugs or products your using then more power to you. But there will be a day when you sit those products down and say 'no more'. When that day comes I'm here to let you know that there are others out there that are willing to offer advice and a helping hand because we've been there too.

----------------------------------

askas said:
I'm 23, and used propecia for 1 year, and had terrible side effects, and I began shaving my head year ago, so I got used completely to it, and I can tell you- I have no devastating depressions like before, I feel more stable and better. I also have not so good shape of my head, but I have no choice. But for me this was a big relief.
It's a matter of individual choice, why not to use propecia if it gives results and not harmful?

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My problem with Ginald is that he's the dead talking to the dying, telling us it's not so bad on the other side. I don't talk to spooks.