9 or so months on Dutasteride, hair worst it has ever been - do I continue?

AntiAndrogen

Reaction score
Hi,

First post and I apologise for the length but I wanted to ask this with as much information as possible to hopefully get the best advice.

I'm 26, first noticed the beginnings of a receded hairline at 21. All the men on my dad's side are fully bald from their 20's, I am not there yet. I pissed around with garbage 'natural' treatments until I could afford brand name propecia a couple months before turning 23. I was on that for 2 years, the standard 1 pill / 1 mg every day (although every time my 3 month supply would run out, there would be a lag of a week or 2 until I could order more).

This lasted from Jan 2011 until june 2013 and I did not respond satisfactorily. I wouldn't say I ever had a proper shed during that time, there was never a period where I'd run my hand through my hair and find it covered in hairs or whatever. The rate of hair loss didn't seem to speed up or slow down, my density just slowly decreased.

So, In June of last year I decided I'd go for dutasteride (proper Avodart, not generic). Was on 1 pill, 0.5 mg daily from mid-june to mid-September, then had a month off it due to disruption in my life, moving around etc. Then I got back on it a month later in mid October, and remain on it till today. I also started nizoral 1% keto twice weekly around November which I have kept up (but switched to Regenepure 1% keto maybe 2-3 months ago). Around Christmas time my hair loss seemed to have stopped, I was noticing far fewer hairs falling out/on my clothes etc.

However, in 2014 I have been losing hair at what I'd say is the fastest rate ever. It's still not bad, nothing like the 100+ hairs per day sheds that people on these forums talk about. But it's still just been steady and disheartening for the past few months. The hair at the front/top of my head is at its thinnest ever now. Fortunately my hair is long (shoulder length), I've been putting dermmatch in it recently and I'm totally happy with how it looks if I do that. That stuff rocks and I would reccomend it to anyone.

What is strange is that if I run my hand through the top of my head, I don't often find any hairs coming out, but if I do it at the back of my head I can get 2-3 hairs to come out every time. My hair at the back of my head feels a bit thinner too, even though there is still plenty there.
It's worth noting that the regenepure 1% ketoconazole is only applied to the top of my head rather than the back or sides, and is left on for 10 minutes.

For what it's worth, since about September of last year I have been eating a vastly healthier diet than in previous years.

SO...

My question is that I don't know what to do. My instinct is telling me to stay the course, that it has been only 8 or 9 months into a treatment that I am supposed to be on permanently, and that this might be a necessary shed. On the other hand, if it gets much worse then at some point it's gonna just start looking bad and I'll shave it as short as it will go.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this and hoping for some words of advice. Do I stay with Dutasteride at the current dose? Do I take more? Less? Stop completely? At this dose I do have the minor and acceptable side-effects of maybe 10% softer boners and somewhat lowered libido, but mine has always been super-high - blowing 3-4 loads a day still isn't unusual for me at all.

Thanks.

donyell

Reaction score
Hey brother,

I'm going through massive dutasteride sheds myself atm, except it started at the 2.5 month mark.

Based on the testimonials I've seen, it seems to get worse before it gets better...All that shedded hair will come back, and if you stay the course there is a higher chance it will stay once it comes back instead of further miniaturizing.

These treatments take a lot of time, a lot of hair cycles. And considering you have already been on an AA (finasteride) before in the past, it seems reasonable that results from dutasteride may take multiple hair cycles.

No point in getting off at this point IMO.

Wierd I'm like you, zero sexual sides on finasteride/dutasteride, can still blow 3-4 loads etc, and i dont seem to respond all that well to finasteride/dutasteride :S Hard to find guys who have amazing results AND none or mild sides.

AntiAndrogen

Reaction score
Hey brother,

I'm going through massive dutasteride sheds myself atm, except it started at the 2.5 month mark.

Based on the testimonials I've seen, it seems to get worse before it gets better...All that shedded hair will come back, and if you stay the course there is a higher chance it will stay once it comes back instead of further miniaturizing.

These treatments take a lot of time, a lot of hair cycles. And considering you have already been on an AA (finasteride) before in the past, it seems reasonable that results from dutasteride may take multiple hair cycles.

No point in getting off at this point IMO.

Wierd I'm like you, zero sexual sides on finasteride/dutasteride, can still blow 3-4 loads etc, and i dont seem to respond all that well to finasteride/dutasteride :S Hard to find guys who have amazing results AND none or mild sides.

A couple of things...

- How long is a hair cycle supposed to take?
- Is dutasteride the only thing you use or is there anything else?

Also I've heard of this 'telogen effluvium' thing, I wonder if that could account for the shedding, and I wonder how common it is and if it goes away on its own without stopping medication.

donyell

Reaction score
I doubt its Telogen Effluvium man...if it was, you would be shedding profusely, and the donor area would shed more than usual also.

Well any hair that falls out is in telogen or catagen phase or just severly miniturized...Hair grows pretty slowly, the shedded ones will take a couple months to come back, and telogen lasts 3ish months so when they do grow back they should stay in anagen, meaning that going forward you wont shed as much, and hopefully when you do have future sheds those hairs that do shed will not have suffered further miniturization.

I havn't read any hard data on it, but people seem to beleive that finasteride/dutasteride may cause some hairs to go into telegen in an effort to synchronize your hair cycles. It makes sense when you consider some people it takes like 1.5-2yrs before things start getting better.

I use minoxidil also, and RU on the hairline. My loss is aggressive so i know dutasteride is a must if i wanna have any chance in this battle.

AntiAndrogen

Reaction score
I doubt its Telogen Effluvium man...if it was, you would be shedding profusely, and the donor area would shed more than usual also.

Well any hair that falls out is in telogen or catagen phase or just severly miniturized...Hair grows pretty slowly, the shedded ones will take a couple months to come back, and telogen lasts 3ish months so when they do grow back they should stay in anagen, meaning that going forward you wont shed as much, and hopefully when you do have future sheds those hairs that do shed will not have suffered further miniturization.

I havn't read any hard data on it, but people seem to beleive that finasteride/dutasteride may cause some hairs to go into telegen in an effort to synchronize your hair cycles. It makes sense when you consider some people it takes like 1.5-2yrs before things start getting better.

I use minoxidil also, and RU on the hairline. My loss is aggressive so i know dutasteride is a must if i wanna have any chance in this battle.

Is RU a hassle to have in your life? Is it quick and easy to apply? How often is it applied? Has the hair loss community reached a consensus on the best solution to dissolve it in to apply it? Is it expensive? Is there shedding involved? Side effects? Most importantly, does it clearly and significantly work?

I won't get into minoxidil because it's too much of a hassle to apply it twice daily and have it make a mess, that it's too hit-or-miss, that it makes your hair dependent on it being applied continuously and that growth returns to baseline after 5 years anyway. That's a road I'm reluctant to go down.

donyell

Reaction score
I'd give dutasteride more time before considering RU. I was already on RU before so I just didn't want to drop it. I can't tell if its doing anything for me to be honest, but eh consensus seems to be that it is effective. Standard PG/Eth vehicle is fine or even adding it to kirkland minoxidil. Most don't shed with it, some do though. Side effects seem to be less severe and less occuring than finasteride, but they can happen especially in higher doses.

It's about $250 for a 200 day supply

I think the fact you are shedding on dutasteride is a good sign, considering you didn't get much results on finasteride nor did you shed much. Things should start improving for you in the coming months, if not, consider minoxidil and RU. You can use minoxidil and RU together like I said before. Just use it once nightly.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
I think it's reasonable to consider that Telogen Effluvium or stress related hair fall can prematurely activate or trigger symptoms of M.P.B in any of us already predisposed to M.P.B.. Emotional healthy individuals won't necessarily experience a delay of onset M.P.B., however Telogen Effluvium may act as a catalyst of sorts by "bumping up the program time" and consequently setting the stage to allow the genetic player (s)to perform an even earlier show. I suppose it's another circular argument that may only reiterates the premature damaging side-effects caused by good ole stress.

AntiAndrogen

Reaction score
I'd give dutasteride more time before considering RU. I was already on RU before so I just didn't want to drop it. I can't tell if its doing anything for me to be honest, but eh consensus seems to be that it is effective. Standard PG/Eth vehicle is fine or even adding it to kirkland minoxidil. Most don't shed with it, some do though. Side effects seem to be less severe and less occuring than finasteride, but they can happen especially in higher doses.

It's about $250 for a 200 day supply

I think the fact you are shedding on dutasteride is a good sign, considering you didn't get much results on finasteride nor did you shed much. Things should start improving for you in the coming months, if not, consider minoxidil and RU. You can use minoxidil and RU together like I said before. Just use it once nightly.

oh yeah I'm not considering RU for any time in the near future, I want to give each new thing I try enough time to know what works and what doesn't. I'll give dutasteride at least a year before I add anything else into the mix. Currently it's dutasteride and regenepure.

donyell

Reaction score
True broski.

It's tough, what do you even do when you have Telogen Effluvium? I mean it does not miniaturize hairs, but the anagen to telogen ratio is important for us baldies and it messes that up big time!

And, will it resolve itself while on dutasteride/finasteride, or no? I think even if one experiances Telogen Effluvium, you know in the long run it is note killing your hairs so you should stick it out. Without finasteride/dutasteride your screwed anyways.

AntiAndrogen

Reaction score
True broski.

It's tough, what do you even do when you have Telogen Effluvium? I mean it does not miniaturize hairs, but the anagen to telogen ratio is important for us baldies and it messes that up big time!

And, will it resolve itself while on dutasteride/finasteride, or no? I think even if one experiances Telogen Effluvium, you know in the long run it is note killing your hairs so you should stick it out. Without finasteride/dutasteride your screwed anyways.

Indeed. I will take dutasteride until the day I get a significant side effect because what's the alternative... do nothing? Perhaps I'd have no hair by now without it - my dad was certainly in a much worse state at my age than I am.

With regards to the 3-4 daily loads being blown, do you think this could have any effect on hair or medication? It seems excessive to say the least but I have never been able to stop. I'm 26 and I've been like this pretty much all the time since I was 15, just going at it like a crazed chimp, lol. It's not an addiction that I crave but it's definitely a strong habit.

donyell

Reaction score
I have no idea man, but 3-4 seems like too much regardless of the effects it has on hair. I think youd have more energy if you refrained!

real kombo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Indeed. I will take dutasteride until the day I get a significant side effect because what's the alternative... do nothing? Perhaps I'd have no hair by now without it - my dad was certainly in a much worse state at my age than I am.

With regards to the 3-4 daily loads being blown, do you think this could have any effect on hair or medication? It seems excessive to say the least but I have never been able to stop. I'm 26 and I've been like this pretty much all the time since I was 15, just going at it like a crazed chimp, lol. It's not an addiction that I crave but it's definitely a strong habit.

Update?