5 month results w/Miconazole Nitrate + Minoxidil - photos

Rogazzle

Established Member
Reaction score
In the spirit of sharing knowledge, here's a quick-look into an ongoing Minoxidil + Miconazole Nitrate experiment going on in other areas of the universe. There's a huge thread over at regrowth with more participants and particulars on this subject if anyone's interested.

In brief: Hair growth on my ongoing minoxidil-treated-hairline became stagnant (after 2 years) and started picking up anew after beginning treatment with Miconazole Nitrate. Applications to my crown area began right after. I do not take internals.

Aug 26 - 2010 (Camera A)

20100826152920110.jpg

Aug 26 - 2010 (Camera B)

dsc08999.jpg

Oct 15 - 2010

dsc02979y.jpg

Feb 14 - 2011

dsc05764em.jpg

March 22 - 2011

dsc07119ad.jpg

dsc07152u.jpg

dsc07150mf.jpg

Following are scalp shots for any miniaturization study. I tried updating the animated composite with the 3rd progress photo, but I couldn't line up any follicle landmarks. Nothing matches anymore. Goes to show how much your hair growth matrix will change in 5-months.

Originally posted Oct showing 6-weeks of regrowth from the beginning of the miconazole + minoxidil experiment.

sequence01.gif

Current - March 22

seq3.jpg

seq4.jpg

This is how I use it.

Tablespoon of hot water + A squeeze of the 4% cream + 60 drops of 5% minoxidil into a syringe.

dsc05597r.jpg

Shaken for 20 seconds

dsc05599v.jpg

Dot scalp.

dsc05604x.jpg

Rub it all in.

dsc05605u.jpg

Go to bed.

I'm planning on maximizing all this by adding topical dutasteride and ketoconazole. For questions regarding this, find it over at regrowth. I'm not about to parse the info and post it all over again. But things should be getting interesting in the months to come.

Cheers.

otis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Why didnt you pull your hair back when you took thr first picture .
It look like those small hairs could have been ther all the time.

Rogazzle

Established Member
Reaction score
rfaust said:
Looking good! Thanks for actually taking the time to take detailed photos. What 4% cream are you using and where do you get it?

Common drug store brand of 4% vag creme (Duane Reade).

Any 4% cream should work.

Caveat: I don't use Miconazole applications daily out of concerns for too much systemic nitrates absorption. It was 5X a week at most on the crown and hairline only. One gal on a haircare related forum reported alarming nitrate levels after a routine lab workup. She did use a large quantity of it on her scalp twice a day however.

When I introduce ketoconazole cream + topical dutasteride into my regimen, I'll be dialing the Miconazole down to 2X week.

From regrowth:

"Rogazzle said:

My regimen for the long-term until a better solution comes along will be:

3X a week at night ------ Keto mixed with minoxidil 5% + topical dutasteride 25mg.

2X a week at night ------ Mico mixed with minoxidil 5% + topical dutasteride 25mg.

2X a week at night ------ minoxidil.

7X a week mornings ------ minoxidil at the hairline only."

Will also be adding folligen copper peps to the mix at night on one temple, azelaic acid on the other. Want to test if it kicks those vellus hairs into a higher + HIGHER gear. I have no doubt that the keto + dutasteride additions will help, so there is no need to partition application areas to test those specifically.

The only forward change I can think of is to replace topical dutasteride with RU58841 or the new CB-03-01 given both look more aggressive than dutasteride because they bind with androgen receptors and blockade DHT directly.

The issue however is cost, reliable sourcing, unknown safety (and now of recent, unknown efficacy)

The other change; if the copper peptides work, then I may switch the minoxidil + copper peptides over to Spectral DNC given that's what Spectral DNC basically is; saving me an extra step when mixing solutions, but, upping the monthly costs a bit."

Rogazzle

Established Member
Reaction score
otis said:
Why didnt you pull your hair back when you took thr first picture .
It look like those small hairs could have been ther all the time.

Here's a hint: The new growth was nonexistent or too short to sweep back with the hand. Baseline hair was approx 5" at the time.

Here's an animated gif for your troubles seeing this.

sequence07.gif

Some other before and afters.

7 week comparison from the beginning of the experiment.

Click to open the photos at full resolution.

dsc08999.jpg

dsc02933l.jpg

dsc02905m.jpg

Another telling sign of definitive growth is the hairs tapered ends. They where never clipped with scissors.

Rogazzle

Established Member
Reaction score
wildhair said:
Rogazzle,
I'm reading the mega thread on hairloss. In Jan you were using Clotrimazole 2%. When did you change to Miconazole Nitrate? Please explain.
Thanks!

This excerpt from page 69 should clear that up.

"......Applications to my crown area began right after.

I then switched all this to Clotrimazole a month later purely out of concern for too much long term Nitrates absorption (possible nitrites carcinogenesis). Being an imidazole based antifungal, Clotrimazole seemed to have similar results. A month later I started questioning Clotrimazole given it doesn't have any of the capillary vasodilation effects that Miconazole Nitrate has (Nitrate is a vasodilator). So I started alternating between Miconazole and Clotrimazole just to be sure I wasn't losing any gains. Did Clotrimazole really add to my hairline? I'm honestly not sure now. It should be noted that Miconazole and Clotrimazole doesn't have any of the androgen receptor binding activity that Ketoconazole has. That said, Miconazole is the more logical choice between Clotrimazole & Miconazole."

Cheers.

thinninghairsucks

Established Member
Reaction score
would just like to chime in and say that ive been following your thread on the other site and have been using miconazole cream and nizoral shampoo, no internals and no minoxidil or other topicals for around 4 months. amazing. wish i took before pics now but i cudnt be assed as i didnt think it would work. my hair line has gone back in time around 2 years in the space of 4 months :).

i only had hair loss at temples. not diffused or anything. no joke temples are filling in. im going to take a pic now for referance later although im really happy about my hair line right now and never thought id say that. my progress started fast then slowed then seems to have picked right back up again recently.

minor sheds every now and again , but hair is growing where it wasnt before so its not even a bad thing

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This is inspiring. I've been on Propecia since 2004 and it's held up my hair pretty well. I want to add the miconazole cream 3X a week but I do not want to add minoxidil. I was thinking of just putting the miconazole cream before bed 3 times a week and of course keep using the Propecia.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :punk:

Is this what we would be looking for?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Monistat-3-Da ... u=10294227

Thanks!
Tony

Rogazzle

Established Member
Reaction score
Brasileirao said:
This is inspiring. I've been on Propecia since 2004 and it's held up my hair pretty well. I want to add the miconazole cream 3X a week but I do not want to add minoxidil. I was thinking of just putting the miconazole cream before bed 3 times a week and of course keep using the Propecia.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :punk:

Is this what we would be looking for?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Monistat-3-Da ... u=10294227

Thanks!
Tony

Yup. That's the stuff, but you can save cash buying a generic drug store brand, like Walgreens, Target's Up and Up, Duane Reade, Daktarin, etc etc. There's a lot of first class thinking going on over at the regrowth thread - frequent questions are already answered (in triplicate). JohnNYC who is a regular there has a kick *** regimen worth reading about. There should be some good tid-bits here as well, but I haven't had time to look through to corroborate my own experiences.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=57738

Cheers.

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks a billion! I just went on Regrowth and looked over most of the 74 pages. LOL! A LOT of information there, its incredible! I'm going to give the Mico a try 3 times a week to start and see where that goes.

BTW - thanks for this tip! :woot:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-H5D-000 ... B002MCZJ78

Rogazzle

Established Member
Reaction score
Brasileirao said:
Thanks a billion! I just went on Regrowth and looked over most of the 74 pages. LOL! A LOT of information there, its incredible! I'm going to give the Mico a try 3 times a week to start and see where that goes.

BTW - thanks for this tip! :woot:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-H5D-000 ... B002MCZJ78

That camera is just OK, but check out finfighter's post in this Hairlosstalk thread about mapping your scalp. The information about setting this up would give you some better options compared to what I've done.

Page 4, post #10
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=63049&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30